2024 Lawayne McCoy 4* DB from Central

Last thing I was told was they aren’t pushing him hard for a commitment / flip. Would they take him? Yes , but they don’t have a full court press on. There’s a quiet confidence about the wr position especially if the season goes well.
So are we that confident he'll flip to us if the season goes bad and that confidence about the wr position drops?? I guess i'm the only one that doesn't feel great about this news. sounds like we're slow playing a top ATHELETE and it's going to bite us in the long run. Not trying to mope either.

Advertisement
So are we that confident he'll flip to us if the season goes bad and that confidence about the wr position drops?? I guess i'm the only one that doesn't feel great about this news. sounds like we're slow playing a top ATHELETE and it's going to bite us in the long run. Not trying to mope either.

Yeah, not crazy about the approach given by our history with the WR position. Seems pretty clear that our staff is going all in on improving on offense and being able to land 1-2 studs. That said, McCoy strikes me as a really good athlete that can play a couple positions. Might be a mistake to pass on him and hope for some studs to sign with us.

Oh boy don’t really like that honestly. I hope I’m dead wrong and they have a great season but a bird in the hand…
i agree w this. your entire season could go off the rails (injuries esp when you consider you have two RBs who arent healthy in their UM careers so far), OL injuries (zion, we lost a ton due to injury last year), TVD. last thing you want is to beg a kid to come bc you lose out on others you banked on convincing with results that arent in hand or may never be good enough for those kids

Advertisement
If he wants to commit he can. They just aren’t putting pressure on to do so.

It's definitely a gamble that has burned us in the past. Could be that they believe if they flip him now and have a bad season that he'll end up flipping back to FSU. Obviously we probably have a certain amount of spots available for WR and have him sitting third behind Smith and Wingo.

If he wants to commit he can. They just aren’t putting pressure on to do so.
And to me, that's a mistake. Just my opinion. I get we don't really pressure kids I guess but wasn't the reason he committed to fsu in the first place was because we were too lax and wasn't showing enough "love"? Yeah this will not help

So you are saying it's not the “real McCoy?“

Hide Help GIF by ADWEEK
Music Video Police GIF by Andrew W. K.

Advertisement
It's definitely a gamble that has burned us in the past. Could be that they believe if they flip him now and have a bad season that he'll end up flipping back to FSU. Obviously we probably have a certain amount of spots available for WR and have him sitting third behind Smith and Wingo.
Yeah but hasn't there been talks we're recruiting him really to play DB? He's a top Athlete. You take him now, worry about position in Spring/Summer camp. Holding out on him because of other players that might or might not be in this class is a mistake in my eyes.

Last thing I was told was they aren’t pushing him hard for a commitment / flip. Would they take him? Yes , but they don’t have a full court press on. There’s a quiet confidence about the wr position especially if the season goes well.

Would be nice to take him as a ATH/CB, with Mack and Romans on board, who else are we recruiting at CB?

Wait… this is who I thought the “weekend commit” was supposed to be…
Rumor was supposedly he was but he backed off and didn't commit. That is why I asked if he is going to the BBQ or elsewhere because if he truly did back off and then goes elsewhere on the 29th instead of the BBQ, it may spell the end of him in a UM uniform. I will gladly be wrong though

Advertisement
And the analogy that I used in our conversation in 2021 is true...there is a great white shark swimming below the surface that is scaring away most of the smaller fish...

Does Jaws have the initials JS or DW? Or are there two great whites below the surface?

Advertisement
Please tell me the insinuation isn’t that we are slow playing a guy in hopes that we flip Smith. Please tell me that I’m reading this wrong

Yeah but hasn't there been talks we're recruiting him really to play DB? He's a top Athlete. You take him now, worry about position in Spring/Summer camp. Holding out on him because of other players that might or might not be in this class is a mistake in my eyes.

No doubt. I agree with you. Just trying assume what they could be thinking logically. Obviously we don't know where at on their overall recruiting board McCoy lands. We did get a good bit of CB's in the portal. Some with multiple years of eligibility left.

Advertisement
Back