Latest Dewan news, not over but not

Dewan did not know of the payment plan nor did he accept any money. What a waste? His lawyer should sue for slander, defamation of character and emotional distress.

Advertisement
Miami's Dewan Hernandez still hopes to play after ruling again upheld
7:58 PM ET
  • i

Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer
An NCAA legislative committee on Monday upheld two previous decisions regarding potential rules violations involving Miami junior Dewan Hernandez, Hernandez's attorney said.
The NCAA originally determined that Hernandez, who formerly went by the name Dewan Huell, had entered into an agreement with Christian Dawkins despite having no written contract, sources told ESPN. Dawkins, who worked as a runner for NBA agent Andy Miller but was looking to start his own agency, was one of three defendants found guilty of fraud in October's trial into college basketball corruption.
A membership committee upheld the ruling in early January.
Hernandez responded to the latest development in a tweet Monday evening.

Dewan Hernandez

@DewanGoesFor_20

https://twitter.com/DewanGoesFor_20/status/1084963139173707776

I do not understand why other individuals that were implicated continue to compete, while I am being punished. I have sat out 16 games... Why me? No worries though, God has the last say so
1f64f-1f3fd.png
#freedewan

6:59 PM - Jan 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

274 people are talking about this

The next step for Hernandez and Miami is to submit paperwork to the student-athlete reinstatement committee in hopes Hernandez can play this season. The school is expected to do that on Tuesday morning.
"I'm truly discouraged by the outcome of this final legislative appeal but remain optimistic that Dewan will play this season," Jason Setchen, Hernandez's attorney, told ESPN. "What it ultimately will come down to is whether the student-athlete reinstatement committee takes all of the relevant factors into account when considering mitigation. I do not believe that it is fair to Dewan that he has been singled out, and we hope the committee will make the right decision and lets Dewan play this season.
"We don't agree with the findings of the legislative committee, but the university is bound by those findings," Setchen added. "I believe there is a bona fide basis for mitigation to support a determination that Dewan be deemed eligible this season."
An answer from the committee is expected by the end of the week, sources told ESPN.
ESPN's Mark Schlabach reported in early November that Hernandez was one of 19 players listed by Dawkins in an emailed business plan. The plan shows Dawkins planned to pay Hernandez $500 per month from September 2017 through January 2018, then $1,000 per month until April 2018.
If Hernandez had left Miami after last season, he wouldn't have had to pay the money back, according to the email. The payments would have been converted into a loan if Hernandez returned to Miami for his junior season.
There was no evidence in the email that payments were made, or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan, and a source told Schlabach that Hernandez did not agree to any sort of payment structure.
Hernandez, a former five-star recruit and McDonald's All-American, has been held out of competition since the start of the season by coach Jim Larranaga. He averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds last season.

=
Hernandez, a former five-star recruit and McDonald's All-American, has been held out of competition since the start of the season by coach Jim Larranaga. He averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds last season.
So ... it was Coach L who held him out all season, and could have played him at any time, if this ESPN/Evan Borzello report is to be believed.

So ... it was Coach L who held him out all season, and could have played him at any time, if this ESPN/Evan Borzello report is to be believed.

I am responding without throwing Coach L under the bus. That is my goal.
As a precaution, Coach L was right to sit Dewan in case something else came up from the FBI investigation. Of course, he could have just asked Dewan if he knew and participated in the payment plan. When Dewan says no, Coach L has to take his word from it. The article states Dewan had no knowledge nor accepted any money. I would hope he and Coach L had that conversation.
The issue is with the reinstatement process. The compliance department should have declared Dewan ineligible and immediately filed for reinstatement in October. That would have made the process a lot easier. That is how Auburn handled Cam Newton in 2010 over the pay for play allegation. That is where we are per the article.
Just like my feelings toward roster management, it is not so much about the crisis but how you handle the crisis which determines the severity of the crisis.

Advertisement
[QUOTE="Da_Lucky_One,
Dewan did not know of the payment plan nor did he accept any money. What a waste? His lawyer should sue for slander, defamation of character and emotional distress.[/QUOTE]

Do we know that for sure?

[QUOTE="Da_Lucky_One,
Dewan did not know of the payment plan nor did he accept any money. What a waste? His lawyer should sue for slander, defamation of character and emotional distress.

Do we know that for sure?[/QUOTE]

ESPN's Mark Schlabach reported in early November that Hernandez was one of 19 players listed by Dawkins in an emailed business plan. The plan shows Dawkins planned to pay Hernandez $500 per month from September 2017 through January 2018, then $1,000 per month until April 2018.
If Hernandez had left Miami after last season, he wouldn't have had to pay the money back, according to the email. The payments would have been converted into a loan if Hernandez returned to Miami for his junior season.
There was no evidence in the email that payments were made, or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan, and a source told Schlabach that Hernandez did not agree to any sort of payment structure.

Dewan has not given me any reason to believe anything else.

Advertisement
I love Dewan and went to the same high school. Just for sanity and accuracy, extensive inquiry and reading does suggest that there is no "smoking gun" involving accepting money or even favors and not reporting it or otherwise some blatant evidence of NCAA-wrongdoing.

To say Dewan absolutely and clearly did nothing untoward, including the possibility of becoming aware of the payments or planned payments to relatives or associates and deciding just to ignore it or tell them to return it, but not notify UM or NCAA... is similar to saying Not-Guilty = Innocent.

I would join the chorus of "Dewan's Not Guilty" to further his return. But I think a chorus of "He's innocent" is a bit of a presumed stretch from anyone here, or from the available evidence.

Do we know that for sure?

Dewan has not given me any reason to believe anything else.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone explain why they would structure the deal like that?

If the kid declares for the draft after freshman or soph year that means he should easily be able to pay off the 5k or so loan, but if he comes back for his junior year(like he ended up doing) the euro league is looking more and more likely and his ability to pay off the loan diminishes.

Wow, is Dewan's Tweet a hit at Coach L or just a huuUuuge applause for Coach D?

I had the same initial reaction. I wonder if he gave him a heads-up and, if so, is it a shot from both of them at the AD/Compliance compared to the enthusiasm around football right now?

Coach L doesn't strike me as that type, but maybe he's not feeling the love. Or Dewan is not feeling lucky and doesn't give a **** anymore.

I had the same initial reaction. I wonder if he gave him a heads-up and, if so, is it a shot from both of them at the AD/Compliance compared to the enthusiasm around football right now?

Coach L doesn't strike me as that type, but maybe he's not feeling the love. Or Dewan is not feeling lucky and doesn't give a **** anymore.
I think y'all are overthinking this.

Obviously Huellnandez realizes that #20 is open on offense and wants to be the next basketball-to-football TE.

Advertisement

Dewan has not given me any reason to believe anything else.

If the kid declares for the draft after freshman or soph year that means he should easily be able to pay off the 5k or so loan, but if he comes back for his junior year(like he ended up doing) the euro league is looking more and more likely and his ability to pay off the loan diminishes.[/QUOTE]

Honestly no because I don't understand the thoughts of a rogue runner with aspirations of becoming an agent. I am not trying to be funny or disrespectful.
My best guess it that he thought Dewan would be tempted to take the deal since student athletes don't get paid. In fairness to Dewan, since Dewan did not know nor agree to the scheme, it was all a dream by Dawkins.
If Dewan wanted to, he has a great case against Dawkins for slander, defamation of character and emotional distress. All of those are legal terms when someone's actions or statements have cost or hindered your ability to create revenue.
Let's make sure we don't forget the most important part of the article: There was no evidence in the email that payments were made, or that Hernandez had knowledge of the play, an a source told Schlabach that Hernandez did not agree to any sort of payment structure.

Let's make sure we don't forget the most important part of the article: There was no evidence in the email that payments were made,

ONE piece of available evidence indicating not guilty means there is none? NOT GUILTY = INNOCENT?

or that Hernandez had knowledge of the play, an a source told Schlabach that Hernandez did not agree to any sort of payment structure.

Said source was UNAWARE of Guilt, or an agreement... does not mean he KNOWS that DEWAN (or camp) did NOT agree. Cmon' now.

Dawkins was fairly obviously a "bigtime agent wannaBe" with limited funds and backers. To nickle and dime a couple dozen prospects who would appreciate the cash while still students (And ESPECIALLY if they STAYED students another year) does add up... tens of thousand$ - just one or two eventually signing up with him though, would compensate of course.

He copped a plea, and will probably cop a few more in next DOJ go-round. At some point, the material evidence indicating who knew what, and when, will probably surface. But nickles-and-dimes probably means it was a sad nickle-and-dime operation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back