Last Clemson home loss 2016 Pitt game

skyman

Senior
2016 is last time Clemson has lost at home, This was a Deshaun Watson led team that later went on to win a national championship. Lashlee has mentioned earlier in week how Venables defense has given up more than 28 points three times since 2017 (NCST '17, USCe '18, and LSU '19, Jimbo has had some success also thru the years moving the ball). Goin down the rabbit hole and looking for whatever trends led to this game a year before that where you see a Matt Canada led offense have a ton of early success (game put him on map and got him lsu job after, also he had some influence at NCST who also had some success the next year)

He got his TEs the ball early and often, used them in variety of ways and killed clemson with shovel pass (lashlee has this in offense, I wonder if he will use it).. I dont know how many yards they got off shovel pass but they got like 4 TDs from their TE type players and had over 350 yards before halftime of offense. Overall Pitt caused 3 turnovers also to slip a win out of death valley on last second fg, Deshaun threw for a million yards but made a few mistakes in redzone

Just offense

fullgame

Advertisement
This game's all on Lashlee and King. They give us the puncher's chance we've been missing. Clemson will shred our D like cabbage for grandma's cole slaw.

Venables has been great, but that D, like every other D in college football, can be worked by a diverse offense and great QB. King will need to make the throws because the plays will be there. We can't have him miss walk-in TDs this week. There's no margin for that like there has been in the first 3 games.

Pitt, Syracuse a couple times, UNC last year, and clearly LSU moved the ball at will on Venables. Great offense beats great defense. We need to go in there with the mindset that we are ready to engage in a 60 minute shootout like Louisville did with Jackson a few years ago when Jackson and Watson had that spectacular duel. King needs to channel some Lamar Jackson on Saturday.

Another thing that can’t be accounted for is that Syracuse and Pitt…caught Clemson slipping. Same can be said for USCe and UNC. But, Clemson sees Miami coming (John Milton, Miami is not. “Devil’s Advocate“ reference…), they’ll be up, and they’ll be ready.

This game will have to be taken, it won’t be given.

This game's all on Lashlee and King. They give us the puncher's chance we've been missing. Clemson will shred our D like cabbage for grandma's cole slaw.

Venables has been great, but that D, like every other D in college football, can be worked by a diverse offense and great QB. King will need to make the throws because the plays will be there. We can't have him miss walk-in TDs this week. There's no margin for that like there has been in the first 3 games.

Pitt, Syracuse a couple times, UNC last year, and clearly LSU moved the ball at will on Venables. Great offense beats great defense. We need to go in there with the mindset that we are ready to engage in a 60 minute shootout like Louisville did with Jackson a few years ago when Jackson and Watson had that spectacular duel. King needs to channel some Lamar Jackson on Saturday.
What made the Pitt game interesting is that they got insane production from their back and TE types out of their offense. Looking for something where we can reproduce because our WR are not our strong suit so limits looking at LSU type film where Jamarr Chase just abuses a 1st round corner. Pitt got 215 yards and 5 TDs out of Orndoff (te), Conner (rb) and Aston (fb) in passing game, they rarely attacked them outside. This fits what some have said (@LuCane ) as far as attacking their LB/safety types in passing game. Some plays they hit on we know Lashlee has in playbook (conner scored on wheel route type play as Rooster in UL game and they got great production out shovel pass).. Conner also ran ball really well against Clemson (132 yards on 20 carries 1 TD) teams rarely can run ball on them at all. Matt Canada put on a clinic

Advertisement

Because of both teams potent offenses. The game may come down to the last possession in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter. THANK Yoda, and Buddha too, we have Borreigas waiting calmly on the sidelines. huh?

2016 is last time Clemson has lost at home, This was a Deshaun Watson led team that later went on to win a national championship. Lashlee has mentioned earlier in week how Venables defense has given up more than 28 points three times since 2017 (NCST '17, USCe '18, and LSU '19, Jimbo has had some success also thru the years moving the ball). Goin down the rabbit hole and looking for whatever trends led to this game a year before that where you see a Matt Canada led offense have a ton of early success (game put him on map and got him lsu job after, also he had some influence at NCST who also had some success the next year)

He got his TEs the ball early and often, used them in variety of ways and killed clemson with shovel pass (lashlee has this in offense, I wonder if he will use it).. I dont know how many yards they got off shovel pass but they got like 4 TDs from their TE type players and had over 350 yards before halftime of offense. Overall Pitt caused 3 turnovers also to slip a win out of death valley on last second fg, Deshaun threw for a million yards but made a few mistakes in redzone

Just offense

fullgame

I was at a Clemson home game in 2017 against Boston College. BC was 1-2 coming in (having just lost to Notre Dame one week earlier), Clemson was 3-0.

Game was tied 7-7 going into the 4th quarter.

Now, full disclosure, Clemson scored the next 27 points in the 4th quarter (4 TDs, 1 missed PAT).

Etienne and Kelly Bryant each had over 100 yards and each had 2 TDs, but most of that happened in the 4th (Bryant had a TD run in the 2nd quarter to break a 0-0 stalemate). Bryant only passed for 140 yards and 0 TDs. There was a combo of 84 Clemson runs and pass-attempts, so it wasn't a deadly-slow game. BC forced Clemson to punt 6 times, and had a couple INTs of Bryant.

I think that we will need a similar approach, without the 4th quarter collapse. Let Clemson run, but keep it controlled. Bryant broke 100 yards on 22 runs, but Etienne broke 100 yards on NINE runs. We have to prevent Etienne from hitting home runs against us. And while I'm not sure we can force Lawrence into 2 picks, we can hit hard and try to force a fumble or two. Don't let their offense get into a rhythm, just force punts before they can get within FG range. Clemson had nearly 500 yards of offense against BC, but it was **** quiet until the 4th.

Clemson just wore down a 1-2 BC in the end. But Miami is 3-0, rested, and with better athletes than what BC had. Lawrence is better than Bryant, but Etienne is still Etienne. And Clemson won't have 80K in the stands like what I saw at that BC game. Miami has a chance, in this Game 4 slot, to go in and limit what Clemson does on offense, and then to give Miami a CHANCE to win it in the 4th.

BC definitely played Clemson better in 2017 than Miami did (I was there for both games), though the scores were largely the same.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was at a Clemson home game in 2017 against Boston College. BC was 1-2 coming in (having just lost to Notre Dame one week earlier), Clemson was 3-0.

Game was tied 7-7 going into the 4th quarter.

Now, full disclosure, Clemson scored the next 27 points in the 4th quarter (4 TDs, 1 missed PAT).

Etienne and Kelly Bryant each had over 100 yards and each had 2 TDs, but most of that happened in the 4th (Bryant had a TD run in the 2nd quarter to break a 0-0 stalemate). Bryant only passed for 140 yards and 0 TDs. There was a combo of 84 Clemson runs and pass-attempts, so it wasn't a deadly-slow game. BC forced Clemson to punt 6 times, and had a couple INTs of Bryant.

I think that we will need a similar approach, without the 4th quarter collapse. Let Clemson run, but keep it controlled. Bryant broke 100 yards on 22 runs, but Etienne broke 100 yards on NINE runs. We have to prevent Etienne from hitting home runs against us. And while I'm not sure we can force Lawrence into 2 picks, we can hit hard and try to force a fumble or two. Don't let their offense get into a rhythm, just force punts before they can get within FG range. Clemson had nearly 500 yards of offense against BC, but it was **** quiet until the 4th.

Clemson just wore down a 1-2 BC in the end. But Miami is 3-0, rested, and with better athletes than what BC had. Lawrence is better than Bryant, but Etienne is still Etienne. And Clemson won't have 80K in the stands like what I saw at that BC game. Miami has a chance, in this Game 4 slot, to go in and limit what Clemson does on offense, and then to give Miami a CHANCE to win it in the 4th.

BC definitely played Clemson better in 2017 than Miami did (I was there for both games), though the scores were largely the same.
I agree with tetra some of these types of games these types of teams get the benefit of sneaking up on Clemson with a good game plan and some things going in their favor, we wont get that benefit but in all those types of games you see lesser talented teams making plays and giving themselves a chance to hang with a dominant team late into a 4th qtr game.. Also you are more likely to sneak a win out at home against them but when you have to go to Memorial stadium it is very tough and you need some things to go in your favor.. I dont care how we do it, just get the W.

I agree with tetra some of these types of games these types of teams get the benefit of sneaking up on Clemson with a good game plan and some things going in their favor, we wont get that benefit but in all those types of games you see lesser talented teams making plays and giving themselves a chance to hang with a dominant team late into a 4th qtr game.. Also you are more likely to sneak a win out at home against them but when you have to go to Memorial stadium it is very tough and you need some things to go in your favor.. I dont care how we do it, just get the W.

Yeah, I think the "Death Valley" advantage will be minimal. The "sneaking up" comment is valid, though. College GameDay being there kinda spoils the surprise!

2016 is last time Clemson has lost at home, This was a Deshaun Watson led team that later went on to win a national championship. Lashlee has mentioned earlier in week how Venables defense has given up more than 28 points three times since 2017 (NCST '17, USCe '18, and LSU '19, Jimbo has had some success also thru the years moving the ball).
Lashlee: "Clemson have only given up more than 28 points 3 times in the last 4 years. Here's how they did it".
Baker: "So we had this 5 star transfer turn up and, to be honest I didn't watch any film, I was blown away with him in practice".

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back