Lashlee discusses offense ahead of spring

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Ahead of the start of spring practice, Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee spoke about the need for the offense to keep improving after showing much more firepower in Lashee’s first season in 2020.

“I’m excited to see everyone go compete,” Lashlee said. “We’re excited we get to go against our defense in practice. It’s about us getting better, us competing to make each other raise their level. I’m excited for those guys… they’ve been here, can go show what they can do. We’d love to see an uptick in points, more consistency.”

The Canes will be without their leader in QB D’Eriq King this spring as he recovers from a torn ACL suffered in Miami’s last game of 2020, and Lashlee says King’s rehab has gone well thus far to keep him on track to return by fall camp in August.

“D’Eriq is doing a phenomenal job with his rehab. Everything is on track, he’s probably exceeding expectations in a lot of areas,” Lashlee said. “I would fully expect by summer he can throw to receivers, do 7-on-7’s, everything we want him to do heading into fall camp unless we have some unexpected setback.”

The absence of King leaves plenty of opportunities for Miami to get a better glimpse at their younger QB’s, as Tyler Van Dyke, Peyton Motocha, and Jake Garcia will battle to prove they can run Lashlee’s offense the best and win the backup role in 2021.

"I’m excited for all three of those guys,” Lashlee said. “Get out there, just kind of go play, compete… At the end of the day, there’s still a lot of unknown.”

After enrolling early, the true freshman Garcia will be limited to start spring with a foot injury suffered during his senior season of high school – Lashlee said he will only participate in 7-on-7 play until he is fully healthy.

“Jake had a minor injury to his foot in his senior season. He played through it the last five or six weeks,” Lashlee said. “Since he got here, we’ve been doing things to try and help that situation totally heal. He’s progressing each week, will be out there with us on Monday and maybe a limited capacity, but he’ll be throwing, taking reps. I fully expect him to do more and more as the spring goes on.”

Matocha and Van Dyke are Miami’s two returning QB’s, with Lashlee mentioning Van Dyke will handle the majority of the first team reps to begin spring.

“I’m excited to see them. Both have been in the system a year. There’s no substitution for real reps,” Lashlee said. “Peyton is a very athletic kid. (Last year) he went over and played safety for us (in practice due to COVID issues). That’s how athletic he is. And Tyler just has something about him, an intangible trait. He can throw the football well but he does everything right, competes hard, guys love him. He carries himself like you want a quarterback to carry himself… Tyler had a phenomenal first year here, will get the bulk of those reps and see what he can do.”

In addition to King being out, the offense will also be missing projected starting TE Will Mallory, who will sit out spring following a shoulder procedure.

“With Will being out, I’m really excited to see if Larry Hodges, Dom Mammarelli take that next step,” Lashlee said. “What kind of jump can they make? Because we’re going to need them this year even if Will is back and healthy. Elijah Arroyo, he’s a guy we have high expectations for.”

Lashlee also pointed to being excited to see if the 2020 receiver class has taken the next step this spring, calling Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo, Dazalin Worsham, and Michael Redding “gym rats”.

Advertisement
I love the gym rats quote for the 2020 receivers! Daz was a Bama commit but had some injuries kid might be slept on. Smith seemed to be maybe the best out the group as a freshman alot of people are high on him. Redding is a freak athlete at 6'2 hopefully he put it's together and gotta love Restrepo kid is just a hard working football player and someone were gonna count on in the future! I really like Lashlee my biggest reason is I feel we should have brought the spread here 15 years ago with the lack of online an the speed in South Florida just always made sense to me! Spring football is here boys

Same here, love hearing the 2020 group being labeled as “gym rats”. It’s impressive to see all of them turning it up a notch. Now, let’s go see it on the practise field. I want them so impressive that 6/8 are out of the running immediately. So much so that they’ll lose 1st team reps and are relegated to ST duty. We’ve all seen what they can do; with multiple games to prove their talent. I want to see some old fashioned Miami Hurricanes talent out there really shine and snag the other 2 WR slots alongside Harley.

I’m excited to see what TVD can do getting most of the reps. I’m a big fan of Garcia’s but TVD has a right to prove himself being in the system a year. Now with Garcia limited it doesn’t much matter what he can do as far as the spring.
The fact that Lashlee said players gravitate towards Tyler is a good sign. Diaz said he had the best offseason of any player. We know he has a cannon arm. He sure passes the eye test. I’d argue he looks like the most NFL prototypical QB at UM this century.
Will all that translate a legit QB1? I sure hope so or Lashlee is gonna have to work serious overtime preparing 3 QBs in the fall. We can’t afford to have timing issues to start the season.

Advertisement
I hope the WRs are JUGS machine rats, and that they're on the field with the QBs every available minute possible. Route running and getting separation were part of the problem. But catching the **** ball was the biggest issue.
Amen brother............they should wear it out.........

Looking for the offense to make another significant jump this season.

Agreed 100%. It absolutely should. Every single kid is back except Brevin, and now you get a year stronger on the OL, a year stronger with the freshmen backs, some competition in the WR room including a legit starter with Rambo and, most importantly, a normal off-season to continue to learn and grow the scheme with every single offensive coach back.

We went from 99th to 24th in PPG and 89th to 39th in YPP.

I expect both those numbers to be in the Top 20 this season.

Agreed 100%. It absolutely should. Every single kid is back except Brevin, and now you get a year stronger on the OL, a year stronger with the freshmen backs, some competition in the WR room including a legit starter with Rambo and, most importantly, a normal off-season to continue to learn and grow the scheme with every single offensive coach back.

I expect both those numbers to be in the Top 20 this season.
Yeah man, we should be firing on all cylinders.
No excuses this season. A full year under Lashlee's playbook. A bunch of veterans returning. A loaded backfield.

Advertisement
Ahead of the start of spring practice, Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee spoke about the need for the offense to keep improving after showing much more firepower in Lashee’s first season in 2020.

“I’m excited to see everyone go compete,” Lashlee said. “We’re excited we get to go against our defense in practice. It’s about us getting better, us competing to make each other raise their level. I’m excited for those guys… they’ve been here, can go show what they can do. We’d love to see an uptick in points, more consistency.”

The Canes will be without their leader in QB D’Eriq King this spring as he recovers from a torn ACL suffered in Miami’s last game of 2020, and Lashlee says King’s rehab has gone well thus far to keep him on track to return by fall camp in August.

“D’Eriq is doing a phenomenal job with his rehab. Everything is on track, he’s probably exceeding expectations in a lot of areas,” Lashlee said. “I would fully expect by summer he can throw to receivers, do 7-on-7’s, everything we want him to do heading into fall camp unless we have some unexpected setback.”

The absence of King leaves plenty of opportunities for Miami to get a better glimpse at their younger QB’s, as Tyler Van Dyke, Peyton Motocha, and Jake Garcia will battle to prove they can run Lashlee’s offense the best and win the backup role in 2021.

"I’m excited for all three of those guys,” Lashlee said. “Get out there, just kind of go play, compete… At the end of the day, there’s still a lot of unknown.”

After enrolling early, the true freshman Garcia will be limited to start spring with a foot injury suffered during his senior season of high school – Lashlee said he will only participate in 7-on-7 play until he is fully healthy.

“Jake had a minor injury to his foot in his senior season. He played through it the last five or six weeks,” Lashlee said. “Since he got here, we’ve been doing things to try and help that situation totally heal. He’s progressing each week, will be out there with us on Monday and maybe a limited capacity, but he’ll be throwing, taking reps. I fully expect him to do more and more as the spring goes on.”

Matocha and Van Dyke are Miami’s two returning QB’s, with Lashlee mentioning Van Dyke will handle the majority of the first team reps to begin spring.

“I’m excited to see them. Both have been in the system a year. There’s no substitution for real reps,” Lashlee said. “Peyton is a very athletic kid. (Last year) he went over and played safety for us (in practice due to COVID issues). That’s how athletic he is. And Tyler just has something about him, an intangible trait. He can throw the football well but he does everything right, competes hard, guys love him. He carries himself like you want a quarterback to carry himself… Tyler had a phenomenal first year here, will get the bulk of those reps and see what he can do.”

In addition to King being out, the offense will also be missing projected starting TE Will Mallory, who will sit out spring following a shoulder procedure.

“With Will being out, I’m really excited to see if Larry Hodges, Dom Mammarelli take that next step,” Lashlee said. “What kind of jump can they make? Because we’re going to need them this year even if Will is back and healthy. Elijah Arroyo, he’s a guy we have high expectations for.”

Lashlee also pointed to being excited to see if the 2020 receiver class has taken the next step this spring, calling Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo, Dazalin Worsham, and Michael Redding “gym rats”.
Great to hear such good things about TVD. Doing the Nutmeg state, the Charter Oak, the sperm whale, and the European mantis proud! Show 'em we can ball in CT without being a closeted *** murderer.

Go Canes!

I expect both those numbers to be in the Top 20 this season
If your prediction is accurate, Miami will lose 0 to 1 regular season games. If Miami doesn't play dumb against Alabama like they did against Clemson last year, Miami can beat Alabama. When, I say dumb! Miami on defense can't stop Alabama on 3rd own 3 times and 4th down 1 time but commit bone head penalties two off sides and two personal fouls that kept all 4 drive going and resulted in TD's. Miami lost to Clemson 42 to 17 last year! Imagine if those 4 drives don't result in TD's.

Advertisement
Back