Lashlee, Baker discuss getting back on track, matchup with Blue Devils

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Heading into this week's prep, Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is hard at work to make sure his attack unit is ready to go and face Duke this weekend after taking the last two weekends off.

"Our guys want to play, are excited to be back in the building getting back to work, knowing who we play, play an opponent that’s got the better of us recently,” Lashlee said.

In the NFL, a squad like the Denver Broncos was forced to play without a QB this past weekend due to COVID issues. Could Miami get down to a point where they would have to play without a QB?

“I don’t want to think about it,” Lashlee said. “The ACC put together a protocol for a limited number of players at positions to be able to play the game. I don’t foresee anyone in the league being forced to play without a quarterback.”

Lashlee was also asked about senior QB D’Eriq King and if he might return to UM next season.

“People I’ve talked to (in the NFL), I know D’Eriq is held in high regard, he is very well respected and involved in the process of going to the next level,” Lashlee said. “That’s a goal of his. He’s done a good job for us this year. I have not gone in depth in those talks with him because we’re in the middle of the season… He’s more than capable (of playing in the NFL)… He’s been very efficient and has done a very good job of protecting the football.”

If King did jump to the NFL, Lashlee mentioned he is high on the group of QB’s that are on campus for UM right now, and also said he was still optimistic on signing a QB during the 2021 recruiting cycle.

“When we got here in January, this class of quarterbacks was pretty much picked over,” Lashlee said. “We’re optimistic we’ll find the right guy. Just signing a quarterback doesn’t do you any good if he’s not the right fit. I’m not worried about the timeline.”

The Canes’ offense is set to take on a Duke defense that has had its struggles in 2020, allowing 35.0 ppg and giving up 427.4 ypg while also ceding 56 points in each of their last two games. However, Duke’s pass rush has been productive this year, led by starting defensive ends Chris Rumph (12.5 TFL, 8 sacks) and Victor Dimukeje (8.5 TFL, 7.5 sacks).

"Getting a late start on these guys last evening, their two defensive ends are really good players,” Lashlee said of Duke. “They’re as good as a lot of the guys we play. This league, week in and out, it seems we play two or three ends who can rush the passer, affect the game on the edge. It’ll be a challenge for our tackles and whole offense.”

As for UM’s offense, redshirt freshman WR Jeremiah Payton has operated as Miami’s fourth receiver this season, but hasn’t produced like many expected he might with just 5 catches for 35 yards in 2020.

“It’s been an up-and-down situation this year,” Lashlee said of Payton. “He had some good moments. The start of the year, we thought he’d earn more time, had some setbacks where he missed some games. It’s been hard for him to get in a rhythm. Our long-term optimism is for Jeremiah to be a very good football player. He has all the skillsets you need.”

**A big focus for defensive coordinator Blake Baker this week is to make sure his defense gets back to mid-season form as soon as possible ahead of the matchup with Duke, even if that process has to start with walkthroughs.

“The biggest thing we have to do is we’ll try to get as many people reps as possible,” Baker said. “What I mean by that is some guys come to practice but may not be able to go full speed, just the medical clearance protocol, things of that nature. Some of the scout team stuff may be more of a walkthrough type deal just so these guys are getting reps vs. what Duke does. That’s one of the biggest things, more walkthrough reps in the middle of a practice. We’ll still try to get as much ‘good on good’ as we can so our guys are used to the speed by Saturday night because we haven’t been out there in a while.”

Baker was also asked about any potential depth issues at certain positions, especially on the defensive line and at linebacker as the Canes had numerous players out in their most recent game vs. VT.

“I think in a lot of cases by Saturday we’ll probably be more at full strength than we’ve been the last time out,” Baker said. “Excited about getting a lot of those guys back, getting in the flow of things and watching them play again.”

After DE’s Jaelan Phillips and Quincy Roche played nearly the entire contest vs. VT, Baker mentioned one of his goals is to make sure they get more rest against Duke this week. While he sees Jahfari Harvey and Cameron Williams as the primary backups at DE, Baker did also say Chantz Williams has progressed well this season.

“He is really making some strides,” Baker said of Chantz Williams. “We want to play as many guys (at DE) as possible. This is one of the most balanced defenses from starter to backup with overall reps that I’ve ever been around.”

While Roche has played his entire college career at both Temple and Miami as a 4-3 defensive end, some have projected his best fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL.

“It’s funny how the NFL labels outside linebackers who are really defensive ends in a 4-3 scheme as opposed to a 3-4,” Baker said. “I could see Quincy going to a 3-4 and being a super-productive outside linebacker. He’s a guy that really flourishes when he drops into zone - we don’t utilize him that much in that department. At Temple, he did drop more often. In our defense with a four-down front, he checks all those boxes when it comes to getting after the quarterback.”

Bake was also asked about freshman cornerbacks Isaiah Dunson and Marcus Clarke, who have seen limited time in their first years at UM.

“Both those guys are really starting to develop,” Baker said. “The number one thing that pops out for Marcus is he’s a ball hawk. It seems every time the ball’s in the air, he ends up walking away with it. And then Isaiah, he’s a competitive dude, just has that ‘dog’ in him. He’s super long, likes using his length at the line of scrimmage. He’s very, very coachable.”

How has Baker seen Al Blades respond to being demoted behind Te’Cory Couch in the starting lineup?

“I’m sure it’s tough, but he’s responded very well. Al is a competitor,” Baker said. “The guy likes to compete regardless of his circumstance. I’ve been impressed with the way Al has responded and I think we’ll see more of the same this week.”

Another mid-season move on the depth chart came recently when DT Jared Harrison-Hunte passed up Jon Ford in the starting lineup.

"Overall, he’s probably a little ahead of where maybe I thought he’d be because he hasn’t played that much football," Baker said of Harrison-Hunte. "The big thing I want to see with Jared is just consistency. He’s a guy that’s making a lot of plays, a guy that’s continued to get better and better from a technique standpoint. If he continues to do what he’s doing - improving his technique, just the small things… he’ll be a very good player for us.”

Advertisement
In the NFL, a squad like the Denver Broncos was forced to play without a QB this past weekend due to COVID issues. Could Miami get down to a point where they would have to play without a QB?

We have been playing without a QB for years.

episode 4 miss hoover GIF

Advertisement
Back