Larry Scott makin soup better than Dan Campbell to defeat NC

Cane2

Band
Banned

herb-water&miami-north-carolina.jpgjoseph_yearby2ball_carrier.jpg
Coral Gables, Florida -- The University of Miami football team staved off virtual elimination from the Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal race with its 27-21 win against Virginia on Saturday, but with this week against No. 17 North Carolina — the word virtual can be removed from that sentence since with North Carolina unbeaten conference play, a loss in Chapel Hill at 3:30 p.m. Saturday would put the Hurricanes three games behind the Tar Heels with two remaining, and — eliminated.

Indeed, UM Coach Larry Scott will have to make soup better than Dan Campbell with his band of offensive players on offense, and his defense will have to contain UNC high octane offense who broke out with 61 points on Duke University. As UM players celebrated the homecoming victory over the Cavaliers last Saturday night, coaches got right to work on preparations for the Tar Heels (8-1, 5-0) hours after the win.

“We definitely know that we have a big challenge ahead of us,” UM interim coach Larry Scott said in a Sunday night conference call with reporters. “Offensively, they’re explosive, and defensively, they’re a much-improved unit from a year ago.”

North Carolina ranks atop the ACC in both passing offense and passing defense. The 158.8 passing yards per game they allow rank second in the nation. The Tar Heels average margin of victory is 21.5 points. They also come in hot. On Saturday against Duke — the same team the Canes needed a miracle eight-lateral kickoff return as time expired to defeat — the Tar Heels won 66-31 in a game in which quarterback Marquise Williams threw for a school-record 494 yards. The Tar Heels run an up-tempo style of offense, and the Canes have struggled against other up-tempo teams, notably Clemson and Cincinnati.

“We’re going to do what we have to do to put our kids in position to be successful against their tempo,” Scott says. “Obviously, we’re going to look at it, examine it, put together a great plan — one that puts our players in the right situation to make the plays they need to make.”

While UNC stops what UM does best offensively — the passing attack — the Hurricanes may find holes in the ground game, like was seen in the concerted effort to run the football in the second half against Virginia. UNC is vulnerable against the run, giving up 218.6 yards per game. Scott already has beaten a ranked team on the road (at Duke) — something Al Golden never did in 4 1/2 years at the helm. To keep Miami’s ACC Championship aspirations afloat, he’ll have to do it again and beat the 17th ranked team in the Nation in the University of North Carolina Tar Heels.

These Tar Heels totally dominated Duke on a record breaking day and put themselves in the Coastal driver's seat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5XVtcWijE
The final score really doesn't matter here, unless one is a North Carolina fan who can't wait to taunt for state bragging rights the Blue Devils. Potentially being one win away from clinching the division is the important part and that starts with Miami. The Tar Heels can still win the Coastal division if they win two of their remaining three games. Up first is Al Golden's old team Miami, a talented team with "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" tendencies. Then the Tar Heels go to Blacksburg, where emotions will run high for Frank Beamer's final home game as head coach of Virginia Tech; no easy task to overcome. And oh yeah, visiting Carter-Finley Stadium for the regular season finale, where NC State would just love to ruin North Carolina's championship aspirations, which again won't be a walk in the park for UNC.

So it ain't over for the Tar Heels, but they have been nothing short of impressive since saving their season in Atlanta with a dramatic comeback against Georgia Tech. They've answered the bell against Pitt and Duke, games with huge implications, and now have Charlotte in their sights.

As for North Carolina's win over Duke, what can you really say other than the Tar Heels flat out dismantled the Blue Devils? While Duke's defense hasn't looked the part of a highly ranked unit the last couple weeks, they've still got talent. It's not like the Blue Devils didn't know what the Tar Heels were bringing to the table on Saturday. They just couldn't stop North Carolina, with the tone set from the very first play of the game. While Duke's defense hasn't looked the part of a highly ranked unit the last couple weeks, they've still got talent. It's not like the Blue Devils didn't know what the Tar Heels were bringing to the table on Saturday. They just couldn't stop North Carolina, with the tone set from the very first play of the game.

Quarterback Marquise Williams only played in three quarters and still set a school record with 524 total yards of offense.

The 66 points are the most North Carolina has ever scored in an ACC game and the 704 total yards of offense are the third-most the Heels have put up in a single game. All in all can the Larry Scott-revived UM team, now playing more loose and with much greater passion & fervor than with its old coach Al Golden, upset the favored NC Tar Heels?

Miami Injury updates

Left tackle Trevor Darling received treatment for soreness on the top of his foot that caused him to exit the Virginia game in the second half. He will undergo treatment again Monday as his status will be evaluated throughout the week.

“Right now, I don’t think anything will keep us from having Trevor this week,” Scott said.

Guard Joe Brown (concussion), who was out against the Cavaliers on Saturday, will continue to go through the concussion protocol this week.

Scott said outside linebacker Trent Harris (shoulder) is “doing really well.” Harris left momentarily in the first half on Saturday before returning for a team-high eight tackles (seven solo) and a sack.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Without Golden, the field is more level and we have a shot. Scott needs to leave Mark home -- not enough time between plays for him to flip all those pages. Put our best best 11 on the field, line them up, and turn them loose. ***** worrying about what the offense is going to do. Crash the pocket. No QB likes to be hit. Hit hm early and often -- late if you have to -- we are back in North Carolina and the we know they will call a couple hundred in penalties on us anyway. Turn Grace, Bush, and Cater loose on the receivers to introduce them to next year's Hurricane football a year early. Hate to quote a buckeye but "see what they do after you hit them in the mouth". So they score a couple quick TDs, better early than late under the Mark system.

Got my tickets, the boy and I will be at the game. The Canes will not be the shell shocked butt hurt blew devils that NC faced. Miami's got this! I don't care what they are ranked, I don't care what they did against dook, go out there and ball.. get the win!

We are going to have to match-up and get out of our base defense. DB's are going to have to tackle better than they have all season and we are going to have generate a pass-rush. AQM and C. Thomas need to have career days for us to win.

Advertisement
Its amazing. What Defensive Coordinators usually do is give the players 3 calls against the uptempo. The reason why we can't lineup fast enough is because No D takes for ever to get the plays to the players. **** is embarrassing . I think anyone who thinks we're beating them with No D is deluded. The guy is a utter loser. Up two scores against Duke and they marched up and down the field. Nothing new, been happening or years. If Kaaya and the running game go crazy we may have a chance and maybe some turnovers. I don't see it though

Its amazing. What Defensive Coordinators usually do is give the players 3 calls against the uptempo. The reason why we can't lineup fast enough is because No D takes for ever to get the plays to the players. **** is embarrassing . I think anyone who thinks we're beating them with No D is deluded. The guy is a utter loser. Up two scores against Duke and they marched up and down the field. Nothing new, been happening or years. If Kaaya and the running game go crazy we may have a chance and maybe some turnovers. I don't see it though

Their SOS is dog**** at 83rd.

They beat UVA by 13 points and scored 26 total. Hey the canes did the same **** but gave up a garbo TD.

2 of the 8 wins are against Delaware and North Carolina A&T.

The FBS opponents they beat this year are a combined 29-34, or 46% win %. These teams have only beaten 1 ranked team (GA tech over FSU with a miracle) outside of Duke who beat GA tech (was ranked at the time).

Their QB has 2-1 td to int ratio. We can force him to make a mistake.

And my favorite: it is not a night game, not on national TV and the weather will be SUNNY 54 degrees with little to no wind.

They beat UVA by 13 points and scored 26 total. Hey the canes did the same **** but gave up a garbo TD.

The FBS opponents they beat this year are a combined 29-34, or 46% win %. These teams have only beaten 1 ranked team (GA tech over FSU with a miracle) outside of Duke who beat GA tech (was ranked at the time).

And my favorite: it is not a night game, not on national TV and the weather will be SUNNY 54 degrees with little to no wind.

With No D calling plays we are at the level of Delaware at times. And I have looked at their schedule and it suck ***. And they are not some great team. But neither are we. And they stomped throttled Duke......who suck *** as well. But we needed a miracle play which could have been wiped out to win after leading by two scores.

And that is the essence of my point. And o we had to squeak by UVA.....who suck *** again. So before I take shots at another team and their schedule, I look at our team and particularly our defense, who can't make a play when it matters at all. Because we have a moron coaching it

Advertisement

With No D calling plays we are at the level of Delaware at times. And I have looked at their schedule and it suck ***. And they are not some great team. But neither are we. And they stomped throttled Duke......who suck *** as well. But we needed a miracle play which could have been wiped out to win after leading by two scores.

And that is the essence of my point. And o we had to squeak by UVA.....who suck *** again. So before I take shots at another team and their schedule, I look at our team and particularly our defense, who can't make a play when it matters at all. Because we have a moron coaching it

i get that but it is one game. hanging 66 on a duke team that spent the entire week complaining isnt a big accomplishment. unc barely squeaked by uva as well.

Without Golden, the field is more level and we have a shot. Scott needs to leave Mark home -- not enough time between plays for him to flip all those pages. Put our best best 11 on the field, line them up, and turn them loose. ***** worrying about what the offense is going to do. Crash the pocket. No QB likes to be hit. Hit hm early and often -- late if you have to -- we are back in North Carolina and the we know they will call a couple hundred in penalties on us anyway. Turn Grace, Bush, and Cater loose on the receivers to introduce them to next year's Hurricane football a year early. Hate to quote a buckeye but "see what they do after you hit them in the mouth". So they score a couple quick TDs, better early than late under the Mark system.

Watching the Broncos vs. Colts game and the Green Bay vs. Carolina game frustrated me that we can't, to a lesser degree, come with that type of pressure. We are so slow on our blitz it becomes a liability, not a threat. The stunts we do are so obvious and slow that they become ineffective. No'D needs to take a look at what Carolina did to Aaron Rodgers.

It was a clinic (minus the last 6 minutes of the 4th quarter) on how to contain a qb known for scrambling around and extending plays, and also showed how late blitzes which are direct lines to the QB are virtually unbeatable. Instead, we line-up guys that so obviously are coming which allows the QB to adjust the play.

There is no reason we shouldn't allow CT9 or AQM8 to just beat their man in front with a LB overtop in the event the QB tries to scramble.

Watching the Broncos vs. Colts game and the Green Bay vs. Carolina game frustrated me that we can't, to a lesser degree, come with that type of pressure. We are so slow on our blitz it becomes a liability, not a threat. The stunts we do are so obvious and slow that they become ineffective. No'D needs to take a look at what Carolina did to Aaron Rodgers.

It was a clinic (minus the last 6 minutes of the 4th quarter) on how to contain a qb known for scrambling around and extending plays, and also showed how late blitzes which are direct lines to the QB are virtually unbeatable. Instead, we line-up guys that so obviously are coming which allows the QB to adjust the play.

There is no reason we shouldn't allow CT9 or AQM8 to just beat their man in front with a LB overtop in the event the QB tries to scramble.

Coaching is our biggest liability. Scheme is the second. The fact that the scheme and coaches required larger players than our recruiting base DNA is the third. Once Butch get here, players will be smaller, faster and more aggressive. One look at fatboy thumbing through 30 pages of plays on the sideline says it all. Dude has more plays, notes, and reads for our players to remember than I studied for the Bar exam. But all of it is based on waiting for the other team to make mistakes, not forcing the mistakes.

Advertisement
I can really see this team beating UNC and then losing to Georgia Tech. What a bummer that would be.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the DL and LB's turned loose, with man to man behind them? They might lose, but at least it would be playing the game they way they like to play.

Advertisement

Dude is only a sophomore, but having him play heavy minutes his freshman year is now illustrating his impeccable judgment and decision making capacity, while paying real dividends to the U.

With UM dominating UVA, it's only a 2 point lead. So, it's 3rd and 2 and Kaaya and his posse face the possibility of surrendering the lead if they can not convert. UVA comes out with an aggressive look, hoping to short circuit the UM drive and get the ball back. The 'Canes best player reads it, changes the play at the line of scrimmage, and hits their fastest WR in stride for a 67 yard catch and run.

Momentum stays with the Hurricanes thanks to Brad Kaaya to Stacy Coley.

So what makes this play possible? Let's take a look.

Kaaya clearly sees something pre snap that allows him to determine that UVA is going to blitz not only their ILB but also the S on the strong side of the formation. He audibles out of the run and calls for a quick slant. The Hoos were clearly guessing run to the strong side, so Kaaya pulls out a chess move to slay their bltch-Queen and make his pawn his own Queen..straight to the house.

KaayaSighting.jpg

Kaaya has a very favorable match-up with Stacy Coley in the slot against #28 Wilfred Wahee stocky strong safety, with NO help.
The middle of the field is wide open.

BlitzingLBs.jpg

BK's footwork is impeccable; a marked improvement from a year ago.
Coley has a step on his man, but the window isn't huge.
It's Brad's balance and mechanics that allow him to deliver an accurate ball.

Coley Clearing.jpg

Kaaya pass is perfect.
Coley never breaks stride and mad dashes for the end zone.
For what now seems like an easy 68 yard score.

ColeyGone!.jpg

See the full progression starting at the .30 mark.
Kaaya pulls the same move, a bit more risky [since the UM split end bring his CB toward Brad's target].
Even still, Kaaya threads the needle and finds Njoku before help can arrive at the .10 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahslZLYcF4#t=43

How will UNC combat Kaaya savoir faire? They don't. Al Golden is gone and can no longer restrict Brad to unleash the fruits of his film study.

Larry Scott & Coley are just letting Brad and his band of offensive players to just "cut it loose". While UNC might disguise a blitz only to come out of it when they recognize that an audible has been called, BK would just toss the rock to another in his progression. All in all, I think UNC goes down in double digits, as I have a strange feeling that Chapel Hill will UM 2015 coming out party in the ACC, a la 2014.

You can run wide on UNC, ball control to keep them off the field...The best secondary in NCAA...The "U" will not get any PI calls as Chizik has his guys tutored in how to react to the ball..

You can run wide on UNC, ball control to keep them off the field...The best secondary in NCAA...The "U" will not get any PI calls as Chizik has his guys tutored in how to react to the ball..

How do we crown them the best secondary when they have not been tested one time.

Advertisement
Back