Larry Coker hire was worst event in history of UM football

theu4lyfe

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Larry Coker--and it is not even close nor up for discussion.

He took a Ferrari that was on cruise control and just needed to not mess things up.

Unfortunately, he did mess things up. That led to hiring an inept coach in Randy, which in turn, led to hiring an even more incompetent coach in Al.

When Butch left, he had this program in a position such that the school could have cherry-picked any coach they wanted to come in and parlay the already assembled NFL-esque team into a big payday.

Instead, the administration listened to the players--who were college kids jaded and unconditionally loyal to Coker--as to who to hire when Butch left.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coker was a great offensive coordinator, but horrible HC. I would say the same for Shannon as a DC. He just didn't have the chops to be a HC.

Coker could take his misfits from UTSA and beat Folden. Folden's a much bigger disaster. Not even close.

Advertisement
I understand the OP's point. It was the Coker hire that set off the chain of events that brought us to where we are today. Hire a legitimate HC after Butch leaves instead of caving to the players and the last decade could have gone in a completely different direction.

Coker's least number of wins in a season, 7, matches Shannon's second best win season AND Golden's second best win season.

LET THAT SINK IN.

Advertisement
Coker's least number of wins in a season, 7, matches Shannon's second best win season AND Golden's second best win season.

LET THAT SINK IN.
He's not saying that Coker was a worse coach than Radio or Golden. But the decision to hire Coker is the event that set the program on a downard spiral.

LET THAT SINK IN.
He's not saying that Coker was a worse coach than Radio or Golden. But the decision to hire Coker is the event that set the program on a downard spiral.

Gotcha.

I would say Paul Dee losing his edge when he needed it the most and getting out manuevered on the Shannon decision coupled with the sock puppets that followed him as AD is what started this decline. UM needs a strong AD to run interference on BOT and administration and ***** slap coaches when need be.

Plus Dee assassinated USC.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I remember reading something a couple years ago about senior leadership requesting Coker that season. Because the list they had was pretty exclusive. It's just if Ed Reed comes in with five other crucial seniors it's hard to argue with what they wanted at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I remember reading something a couple years ago about senior leadership requesting Coker that season. Because the list they had was pretty exclusive. It's just if Ed Reed comes in with five other crucial seniors it's hard to argue with what they wanted at the time.
The players did rally around Coker and a few of the underclassmen even threatened to declare for the NFL draft if they didn't name Coker the HC. They didn't want Barry Alvarez coming in and changing everything. Administration should not have caved to a bunch of college kids. It's their job to see the big picture and do what is best for the program whether the players like it or not. Hiring Larry Coker was clearly not in the best interest of the program. With the talent that Butch brought in, they would have had coaching candidates lining up to take over the program.

Advertisement
The players did rally around Coker and a few of the underclassmen even threatened to declare for the NFL draft if they didn't name Coker the HC. They didn't want Barry Alvarez coming in and changing everything. Administration should not have caved to a bunch of college kids. It's their job to see the big picture and do what is best for the program whether the players like it or not. Hiring Larry Coker was clearly not in the best interest of the program. With the talent that Butch brought in, they would have had coaching candidates lining up to take over the program.
That's the story of the Miami Admins. They lack the kahunas to make the difficult decisions.

I understand the OP's point. It was the Coker hire that set off the chain of events that brought us to where we are today. Hire a legitimate HC after Butch leaves instead of caving to the players and the last decade could have gone in a completely different direction.

Exactly. You may not have the 2001 national title, but I 100% guarantee we win the national championship in 2002 and 2003 with a real HC. In 2003 we wasted our best defense since 1986.

Advertisement

Exactly. You may not have the 2001 national title, but I 100% guarantee we win the national championship in 2002 and 2003 with a real HC. In 2003 we wasted our best defense since 1986.

Nice speculation. Here's some speculation: Butch stays, no NC. Lotta truth in that guess. Re-Viva Coker!

Orange bowl tear down was worse. imo

Exactly. You beat me to it. None of the coaching decisions carry a fleck of significance compared to abandoning that stadium.

I understand the arguments that it had to be done, that the city failed to maintain it and the financial aspect didn't make sense for the university compared to the alternate. But that alternative regulates the program, now and for the foreseeable. The ones who deny it are clueless toward situational impact and home field values.

In our case that bland multipurpose monstrosity would be bad enough if it were nearby campus. With a 20+ mile commute it's basically forfeiting one tier in the college football hierarchy.

Advertisement
Back