Larranaga on Hernandez Situation

hotshot

Sophomore
Excerpts from AP article from today, Jan 18th. Bolding is mine!

"Miami Hurricanes coach Jim Larranaga said junior forward Dewan Hernandez deserves to be declared eligible by the NCAA because he unwittingly became entangled in a college basketball corruption case when he was duped by an AAU coach.

"He got duped by his AAU coach," Larranaga said.

The coach, Jordan Fair, was also an assistant at Louisville before being fired after the scandal broke in 2017.

"Jordan Fair is the one who created this problem," Larranaga said. "A competitor of ours was talking to one of our players. From what I understand that's inappropriate -- talking to players who played for another college."

Larranaga said Hernandez remains on schedule to graduate with his class. He has continued to practice with both the scout team and starters, sits on the bench at home games and made his own way to Tallahassee for the Hurricanes' game at Florida State.

Advertisement
Advertisement
When is the decision on this "last appeal" expected now? Last week, they were saying end of last week. Did not happen.

Based on everything.....wouldn't it be best for him to just redshirt and play next year, a full season?

Advertisement
Based on everything.....wouldn't it be best for him to just redshirt and play next year, a full season?
It's not clear at all that if all appeals to the NCAA are exhausted (as they will be with the ruling we are now waiting for), that Dewan could return next year if he wanted to. Another "ineligible" decision could mean he's forfeited his opportunity to play college ball for good.

Another day of no decision. Shocker. The Athletic Dept held him out and asked the NCAA to make a determination on November 1. Still no resolution, disgraceful. Never should have been held out by UM.

Another day of no decision. Shocker. The Athletic Dept held him out and asked the NCAA to make a determination on November 1. Still no resolution, disgraceful. Never should have been held out by UM.
I wonder if Coach L was in agreement with sitting Dewan.

Welcome to UM compliance.

Freakin sad that we watch Louisville and whoever else play their guys without fear of reprisal, and we act like we would be forced to give up an ACC title and National Championship this year if we played Dewan...lmfao.

Advertisement
How can the National Corrupt Athletic Agency convict someone, with no tangible proof, other than document found with a business model, a bunch of names, but no proof he accepted anything, or knew of this grand plan of payment. As ive been interpreted what ive seen, the only proof the NCAA has, is someone else's journal, and business plans.

Advertisement
How can the National Corrupt Athletic Agency convict someone, with no tangible proof, other than document found with a business model, a bunch of names, but no proof he accepted anything, or knew of this grand plan of payment. As ive been interpreted what ive seen, the only proof the NCAA has, is someone else's journal, and business plans.
Blake James, disagreeing with many things said or implied by NCAA, did however say today: "Dewan was transparent and cooperative and admitted he made some mistakes". The narrative he was a complete innocent bystander seems misplaced, although the dumb NCAA agent policies for "maybe go pro" guys is clearly horrendous and unfair.

Most likely scenario: D. Hernandez "confers informally" with an agent (or agent-wannabe suggested by that Louisville assistant) - "If I hired you, how much would it cost, how would it work, can you advise me in any way or help me in any way if I don't officially hire you (to comply with NCAA policies)?"

Agent says: "I will send you some info." Dawkins/etc takes some liberties and includes some "mad money" suggestions in the correspondence, to keep things afloat. Maybe sends it to his associates first or concurrently (FBI got a hold of those.) Hernandez doesn't report it, doesn't officially accept it, maybe says "Thanks I'll think about it".

That conversation in itself would be enough for Hernandez to be an innocent victim, but also enough for the evil NCAA to make UM and Hernandez miserable.

Blake James, disagreeing with many things said or implied by NCAA, did however say today: "Dewan was transparent and cooperative and admitted he made some mistakes". The narrative he was a complete innocent bystander seems misplaced, although the dumb NCAA agent policies for "maybe go pro" guys is clearly horrendous and unfair.
I had not seen the statement made, indicating his "bad decisions", that's in itself a slightly telling statement. But with no legitimate proof, sounds like a new interpretation of "innocent, until proven guilty" ...either way it sucks. A lot more kids have gotten a lot more, gone on to tell about, nobody cares....miami student, thinks about it, maybe has a conversation about it, inelgable!!
Maybe I'm just butthurt about a players collegiate career being toyed with!

Advertisement
Back