Rumor Lane Kiffin to Auburn

Isn't there some law in Mississippi that prevents Ole Miss from locking Lane up long term?

Kiffin should take Auburn for all they have. He's the anti-Saban they have been praying for. And his jabs at Saban, which we'll probably see more of, will only bring that fan base together. IMHO, he gone.

Anyone remember how he left Tennessee?

Advertisement
They've forced Auburn's hand for decades and only have a few outlier years where Auburn came out on top. Bama will remain in the drivers seat for as long as they keep doing what they're doing and don't go on probation.
1. A program more determined to win
2. Can be offered a larger contract both financially and length-wise (Mississippi has a stupid state law where you can’t have a coaching deal for more than four years at a time)
3. Whether people want to believe it or not, Auburn is a better program than Ole Miss, and has a higher ceiling.
4. More money = better recruits and a more talented roster top to bottom

FWIW, I think he’s gone.

1. For sure, but determination only gets you so far. They've got big brother there instate who will get at 80 percent of the players they both want. They get scraps. Other bigger more dominant programs will get some more.

2. Yes, they can pay more. With that comes expectations and there's a long list why those expectations will be hard to meet.

3. Better program on paper. I think it's a coach killer at this point. Too many forces working against them. It's going to get worse when UT and OU drop into the mix.

4. Covered that in answer 1. Auburn isn't some destination school and the pickings are about to get slimmer.

He may end up there for money alone. I wouldn't go, I'd wait for something bigger where the odds aren't stacked against you like they are there. Coaches have egos though and maybe if he takes the job, he clearly believes in himself completely. He knows the lay of the land.

Isn't there some law in Mississippi that prevents Ole Miss from locking Lane up long term?

Kiffin should take Auburn for all they have. He's the anti-Saban they have been praying for. And his jabs at Saban, which we'll probably see more of, will only bring that fan base together. IMHO, he gone.

Anyone remember how he left Tennessee?

Yes. Mississippi law says no state employee can have more than a 4 year contract. The reason is to prevent Texas A&M type situations where they have to pay a 90 million buyout. Functionally they try to get around it in college sports by renewing the 4 year contract every year. Still it's never going to have the same amount of guaranteed money as in other states.

Not just salary, he wanted more NIL. He was given full control of the program at ole miss and has been going after more NIL funding all year. In the last week alone, they tripled their annual number and it worked in keeping Kiffin home

IDC what the money is at Auburn; who would want that job with all the aggravation that comes with it???

Lane doesn't need the money. He'll get paid by Ol Miss, too.

To me, Auburn is a coach-killer....

Supposedly Lane's kids don't want to move...

Advertisement
IDC what the money is at Auburn; who would want that job with all the aggravation that comes with it???

Got to love the “he doesn’t need the money” argument. Smh.

Lane has been dying to get out of Ole Miss for a while now. He’s gone the first chance he can.

You could say the same thing about us…or UF, or Texas, Tennessee, USC, etc…

You’re either mentally tough enough and confident you can do it, or not.

Only reason this is here is because some Canes fans wanted him here and will never let it go that the guy they wanted did not even get a sniff.

I'd still take him, right now, today. We once again had a guy picked before a search even happened. Hope this one works out better, but this season should make everyone question the way we do things. The future, hopefully it trends up because this season has been a complete failure even by our standards these nearly two past decades.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Now this could get interesting…Freeze certainly has hit his wall at Liberty, but Lane has been looking for every excuse to leave Ole Miss…

Maybe he’s waiting on something bigger like Texas when Sark is eventually canned but idk.

Now this could get interesting…Freeze certainly has hit his wall at Liberty, but Lane has been looking for every excuse to leave Ole Miss…

Maybe he’s waiting on something bigger like Texas when Sark is eventually canned but idk.

Word is it’s Freeze. I thought for sure it was lane but freeze seems to be the guy.

I think freeze will do well but he isn’t some savior by any means. He won’t at ole miss cause they were cheating big time with recruiting but I guess since it’s all leg now and with the backing of Auburn boosters they think they can recreate what he had at ole miss those few seasons he was giving Bama problems.

Advertisement
Considering more than 1 coach at a time seems risky…. Bold strategy..
miniGif_20221126103400.gif

Word is it’s Freeze. I thought for sure it was lane but freeze seems to be the guy.

I think freeze will do well but he isn’t some savior by any means. He won’t at ole miss cause they were cheating big time with recruiting but I guess since it’s all leg now and with the backing of Auburn boosters they think they can recreate what he had at ole miss those few seasons he was giving Bama problems.
Freeze is a 3rd choice vs Urban or Lane

Auburn fan boards are in denial. They don't believe it's going to be Freeze. Supposedly Brian Johnson was also a "candidate"....

Word is Kiffin's family did not want to leave Oxford..

Advertisement
Back