Lane Kiffin on One Change in the Portal

Fighting won’t matter when colleges finally say “ thanks, but we’ll be keeping all the money going forward”. It’s inevitable.
The only thing is anyone whose done well recently won’t want to change anything. When you’re on top, change is not usually viewed as a positive. And I wonder what would replace the ncaa.

Advertisement
But l

But like blockbuster, they’ll at least try to fight. Nobody just gives up a revenue stream like that.
Of the $1B NCAA annual revenue, $850M of it comes from March Madness. $600M+ of the March Madness money is distributed back to schools. Interesting info here:

“While top-tier college football is both more popular and a much larger commercial entity than college basketball, the NCAA makes virtually no money from its postseason. The governing body controls neither the College Football Playoff, nor any FBS bowl games.”

The Ncaa is thankful for the Nil stuff, that means they don’t have to give up any of their scratch. People will shut up about paying the players.

At this point the Ncaa is like Block buster video 15-20 years ago. “ Let’s just try to cash as many checks as we can until we close shop”. Their days are numbered as an entity. Their job is a lot like Roger Goodell, they’re the bad cop to take bullets aimed at Colleges and Nfl owners.
The end of the NCAA is inevitable. Their tax exempt status is from amateur athletics. It’s kind of hard to reconcile amateur with NILs. It may not be today, may not be tomorrow, but they are going to go after the wrong school in the wrong state and they are going to lose that. I would bet my bottom dollar that’s the basis of Heitner and Lambert publicly telling the NCAA to please come after us and see what happens.

If someone else comes in and privatizes the NCAA basketball tournament the way they did the football playoff, there goes a massive chunk of their annual funding.

Fighting won’t matter when colleges finally say “ thanks, but we’ll be keeping all the money going forward”. It’s inevitable.
They already gave up their share of money from the football playoff, so the precedent and first move has already happened. Truly one of the most baffling and stupid business decisions I’ve ever seen.

Of the $1B NCAA annual revenue, $850M of it comes from March Madness. $600M+ of the March Madness money is distributed back to schools. Interesting info here:

“While top-tier college football is both more popular and a much larger commercial entity than college basketball, the NCAA makes virtually no money from its postseason. The governing body controls neither the College Football Playoff, nor any FBS bowl games.”

The fact they're skimming 250M off of college basketball makes me 🤮 . The NCAA is the most useless organization in sports. At least the ACC negotiates league contracts. NCAA is the US equivalent of the Olympic Committee, a bunch of fat cats getting rich off amateur athletes.

Advertisement
system psychology GIF

I have no idea why the NCAA didn't do a 16 team playoff for division 1 like every other division of football, they are tossing money away.

Advertisement
Surprised nobody commented on "A school or two I know very well" 👀👀👀
I actually found his comments on NIL deals that get promised and not paid more interesting than the transfer portal stuff.

Advertisement
Back