Lance Guidry

Hold up...

This is what confuses me all the time on this board...

Why is Dawson and the offense not provided the same leeway and excuses?

*Both sides of the ball have improved statistically since last season.
*Both sides of the ball have had abysmal games.
*Both sides of the ball need better players.

And one side of the ball was handcuffed by a mental midget who unfortunately playing the most important position in football.

Yet we continue to praise Guidry and give the offensive staff ****.

Someone help me understand.

Because Cristobal isn’t in the defensive game plan meeting providing “guidance”.

If he was, there’s a good chance all of the risk taking (like switching to a 3-3-5 in the middle of the season) doesn’t make it to Saturday’s.

Yes, the DC still runs it by the HC, but there a huge difference between notice and asking for permission to do something.

Advertisement
Hold up...

And one side of the ball was handcuffed by a mental midget who unfortunately playing the most important position in football.

Both sides of the ball were considerably better in 2023. You have to be a dumbass or a mope or both to not be able to acknowledge that.

The problem though, in typical Miami fashion, is that we're not allowed to have nice things, so we're never allowed to do everything, or even most things, well at the same time.

For example, what i said in my first sentence is OVERALL. When you look at every play, from Game 1 to 12, the offense was absolutely better. The defense was absolutely better. But what's maddening, is for example the NC State game. The defense was insane. Relentless, aggressive, physical, swarming. They couldn't do **** for 98% of the game. But TVD had a lobotomy pregame and couldn't have been worse. So we lose.

Then go to Louisville. Offense is insane, puts up 31 points, almost 7.5 per play, I don't think we had a turnover. But we forget how to cover anyone. DBs run into each other at full speed. We can't tackle. We don't even look at the TEs. So we lose.

Been a recurring theme for years now.

But the offense and defense were better. No doubt. They were just imbalanced, and they weren't great. On either side. They were good and at times very good. But that's how you go 7-5.

Advertisement
Hold up...

That's a very good and valid question and I believe it stems from a few different factors. One of the big things with Dawsons offense was the apparent inability to incorporate the speed and explosiveness that we had at our disposal. The underutilization of Brashard Smith was baffling. I'm not saying that we had the equivalent of Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle that we kept on the bench but we had speed at our disposal that we either couldn't use, didn't know how to use and just flat out wouldn't use.

I think generally speaking that people expected Dawson to do a better job utilizing players like Tyler Harrell, Ray Ray Joseph, Robby Washington, Chris Johnson and even Jaleel Skinner . I realize that we had a set trio of starters at WR in Young, Restrepo and George and that players such as Joseph, Washington, Johnson and Skinner were young with all but Skinner being true freshmen. However there just didn't seem to be any type of coherent plan to involve them and in general there seemed to be little desire to do anything outside of the confines of the base offense. There was no effort to use any of our speed in order to exploit certain defenses we faced nor was there any evidence of trying to attack or stress any particular weakness that we would see in an opposing defense.

In addition to this, the running game was as pedestrian as I have seen with the bulk of our designed running plays being right up the middle with little variation or any counters off of that tendency. Outside of the first 4 games and BC and maybe Louisville, the offense was bland, mechanical, repetitive, predictable and completely devoid of any imagination. Tyler Van Dyke and his refusal to learn how to read defenses specifically zone was a significant contributor to this problem without question. His lack of leadership ability was also a huge problem.

I also think a big part of the frustration with the offense overall is the fact that Mario Cristobal has a well deserved reputation for being stubbornly conservative offensively and that also plays a huge role in the way the fans in general perceive the offense. This also feeds into a perception that there is not enough in terms of quarterback development. This may be a fair assessment as TVD really failed to develop under Dawson or not as the various injuries no doubt played a huge role in Van Dykes mid season swan dive.

All things being considered I don't think that it's unfair for fans to broach the question of Dawson's ability to ultimately lead this offense to where it needs to go in addition to being the mentor and developer of quarterbacks that this program deserves to have. It must be pointed out that Dawson, despite the injuries and challenges presented by TVD actually managed to preside over an offense that improved dramatically in terms of total offense finishing the regular season ranked #26. Stability and improved play at QB plus a more experienced OL and an upgrade in depth and talent at WR should see Dawson take another step forward with the offense. We will have to wait and see for now. Until then I don't think it's unreasonable to add an analyst to specifically work with Dawson and/or a QB coach who could take out QB development to another level.

Both sides of the ball were considerably better in 2023. You have to be a dumbass or a mope or both to not be able to acknowledge that.

The problem though, in typical Miami fashion, is that we're not allowed to have nice things, so we're never allowed to do everything, or even most things, well at the same time.

For example, what i said in my first sentence is OVERALL. When you look at every play, from Game 1 to 12, the offense was absolutely better. The defense was absolutely better. But what's maddening, is for example the NC State game. The defense was insane. Relentless, aggressive, physical, swarming. They couldn't do **** for 98% of the game. But TVD had a lobotomy pregame and couldn't have been worse. So we lose.

Then go to Louisville. Offense is insane, puts up 31 points, almost 7.5 per play, I don't think we had a turnover. But we forget how to cover anyone. DBs run into each other at full speed. We can't tackle. We don't even look at the TEs. So we lose.

Been a recurring theme for years now.

But the offense and defense were better. No doubt. They were just imbalanced, and they weren't great. On either side. They were good and at times very good. But that's how you go 7-5.
I’ve said for what I feel like is 15 years…

We don’t Play complimentary football. The last complete game was ND 2017.

Even a broke clock is right twice a day, but you could count on 1 hand the amount of complete games we’ve played going back to Randy.

That's a very good and valid question and I believe it stems from a few different factors. One of the big things with Dawsons offense was the apparent inability to incorporate the speed and explosiveness that we had at our disposal. The underutilization of Brashard Smith was baffling. I'm not saying that we had the equivalent of Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle that we kept on the bench but we had speed at our disposal that we either couldn't use, didn't know how to use and just flat out wouldn't use.

I think generally speaking that people expected Dawson to do a better job utilizing players like Tyler Harrell, Ray Ray Joseph, Robby Washington, Chris Johnson and even Jaleel Skinner . I realize that we had a set trio of starters at WR in Young, Restrepo and George and that players such as Joseph, Washington, Johnson and Skinner were young with all but Skinner being true freshmen. However there just didn't seem to be any type of coherent plan to involve them and in general there seemed to be little desire to do anything outside of the confines of the base offense. There was no effort to use any of our speed in order to exploit certain defenses we faced nor was there any evidence of trying to attack or stress any particular weakness that we would see in an opposing defense.

In addition to this, the running game was as pedestrian as I have seen with the bulk of our designed running plays being right up the middle with little variation or any counters off of that tendency. Outside of the first 4 games and BC and maybe Louisville, the offense was bland, mechanical, repetitive, predictable and completely devoid of any imagination. Tyler Van Dyke and his refusal to learn how to read defenses specifically zone was a significant contributor to this problem without question. His lack of leadership ability was also a huge problem.

I also think a big part of the frustration with the offense overall is the fact that Mario Cristobal has a well deserved reputation for being stubbornly conservative offensively and that also plays a huge role in the way the fans in general perceive the offense. This also feeds into a perception that there is not enough in terms of quarterback development. This may be a fair assessment as TVD really failed to develop under Dawson or not as the various injuries no doubt played a huge role in Van Dykes mid season swan dive.

All things being considered I don't think that it's unfair for fans to broach the question of Dawson's ability to ultimately lead this offense to where it needs to go in addition to being the mentor and developer of quarterbacks that this program deserves to have. It must be pointed out that Dawson, despite the injuries and challenges presented by TVD actually managed to preside over an offense that improved dramatically in terms of total offense finishing the regular season ranked #26. Stability and improved play at QB plus a more experienced OL and an upgrade in depth and talent at WR should see Dawson take another step forward with the offense. We will have to wait and see for now. Until then I don't think it's unreasonable to add an analyst to specifically work with Dawson and/or a QB coach who could take out QB development to another level.
YOU think those guys are underutilized athletes... but you don't know if they run the right routes, know their playbook, practice hard, are coachable, etc etc etc.
Things like this limit kids playing time... ALL THE TIME.

You're talking to a guy who held Ray-Ray Joseph to ZERO catches in high school with CB's that went to FIU and NIU. My CB's bullied him and literally pressed him to the sidelines. So I kinda have to laugh when I see people get on here and speak with conviction that he absolutely needs to be on the field already.

B. Smith is also inconsistent and doesn't do ANYTHING better than the guy who starts over him except run faster in a straight line. I guess we don't remember the ball bouncing off his facemask last year on 4th down because he ran his route with the wrong timing and depth, and didn't get his head around in time. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's little things like THAT that keeps kids off the field at the college level.

No disrespect... but WE ARE FANS and know absolutely NOTHING about these kids other than what they did in high school. (on their highlights, at that)

Instead of blaming college coaches, who have been coaching football at the highest level for decades, maybe we need to start looking at THE PLAYERS and/or the GARBAGE *** COACHING AND DEVELOPMENT that these kids are getting in high school.

You recruit under-developed players from junkyard programs and then wonder why they don't play early. Look at the kids at Miami who under-achieved and/or can't get on the field early, and look at what programs they come from. I'm not even gonna say no freakin' names. 🙄

Restrepo came to college READY MADE.
Well-coached (played at 2 elite programs in high school)...
Incredible work ethic.
Knows football.
Uses the weight room.
Works on his craft.
He did his part, the rest took care of itself.

But you guys think certain kids WHO LACK ALL OR MOST OF THOSE intangibles should play as underclassmen because they run fast?! 🤦🏻‍♂️ It don't work like that in college. That ain't enough.

Last edited:
YOU think those guys are underutilized athletes... but you don't know if they run the right routes, know their playbook, practice hard, are coachable, etc etc etc.

You're talking to a guy who held Ray-Ray Joseph to ZERO catches in high school with CB's that went to FIU and NIU. My CB's bullied him and literally pressed him to the sidelines. So I kinda have to laugh when I see people get on here and speak with conviction that he absolutely needs to be on the field already.

B. Smith is also inconsistent and doesn't do ANYTHING better than the guy who starts over him except run faster in a straight line. I guess we don't remember the ball bouncing off his facemask last year on 4th down because he ran his route with the wrong timing and depth, and didn't get his head around in time. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's little things like THAT that keeps kids off the field at the college level.

No disrespect... but WE ARE FANS and know absolutely NOTHING about these kids other than what they did in high school. (on their highlights, at that)

Instead of blaming college coaches, who have been coaching football at the highest level for decades, maybe we need to start looking at THE PLAYERS and/or the GARBAGE *** COACHING AND DEVELOPMENT that these kids are getting in high school.

You recruit under-developed players from junkyard programs and then wonder why they don't play early. Look at the kids at Miami who under-achieved and/or can't get on the field early, and look at what programs they come. I'm not even gonna say no freakin' names. 🙄

Incredible work ethic.
Knows football.
Uses the weight room.
Works on his craft.

But you guys think certain kids WHO LACK ALL OR MOST OF THOSE intangibles should play as underclassmen because they run fast?! 🤦🏻‍♂️ It don't work like that in college. That ain't enough.
Again you make excellent points and I appreciate you telling me where I went wrong but let me say the following. Coach you know that I have always deferred to you and coaches and others who are in a position to know better than I. That being said, this is a fan forum for fans to express their opinions. That doesn't mean that we are ever going to have all the facts. Were never going to have the level of insight that someone such as yourself would have and that's ok. You're making it seem like a layman's opinion is an affront to you but it isn't. At the end of the day this is a great forum for us fans to come on to catch up on what is going on with our favorite program and throw in our opinions and even debate. Of course we don't know everything or anything really compared to a experienced coach such as yourself. Also I think I was fairly clear that these are common perceptions.

This is where someone like you can come in and give us your perspective so that we learn. We may learn slowly but we will learn lol but don't get aggravated when you see the same type of things like what I posted above. The nature of fandom is strange in that it really pulls you in on a very emotional level and it also has the effect of circumventing rationality. That's why fan is short for fanatic lol. Bottom line here is that I think I speak for the board when I say that your contributions are greatly appreciated and that you are a very respected member of this community. This is a great place to come together with other Canes fans and exchange ideas and opinions about players and the program. Yeah we fight like cats and dogs sometimes but at the end of the day we're all here for the same reason and that is to enjoy following our favorite football team.

If you think that the points I brought up in my post above are completely wrong and built on misconceptions and a general misunderstanding of what truly goes on behind the scenes then I'm ok with that. Im just a fan. Sure I'm an arrogant and opinionated jacka$$ sometimes but I'm learning humility and I'm open to learning why I'm wrong on certain things. If you're willing to have a little patience with me then there are many things that I would love to pick your brain about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hold up...

Cause Guidry is true to his stuff. You yourself said that we stopped running certain things midway through the season.

There's a growing belief that Mario meddles with the offense. He can't meddle with the defense.

You recruit under-developed players from junkyard programs and then wonder why they don't play early. Look at the kids at Miami who under-achieved and/or can't get on the field early, and look at what programs they come. I'm not even gonna say no freakin' names. 🙄

Incredible work ethic.
Knows football.
Uses the weight room.
Works on his craft.

THANK YOU!!!! All of this **** is 100% on point. Pin this post please!

The X slander/snark/sarcasm has easily been the most infuriating thing on this board. If you have a criticism of this offense leave his ******* name out of it.

I mean the racist/prejudiced or political posts don't phase me. There is so much on this board that could be considered offensive but this Restrepo stuff is my only trigger. And it's exactly because of what you posted. How could a dude that does pretty much every thing right still be ****ted on? By OUR "fans". Because it doesn't look like you want? Because he isn't the shiny new toy? There is no logical reason behind it, just lazy stupidity/ignorance, which I believe is the root of all evil.

ran into Guidry at Starbucks You know he's a Southern because he nods hello without even knowing you. maybe it was excellence recognizing excellence, right @Empirical Cane?

chatted for a while about Miami, the U, Bain etc. his passion and energy exude, maybe it was the quadruple expresso. cool and authentic dude.
Pics or it didn’t happen…

Jk

Advertisement
ran into Guidry at Starbucks You know he's a Southern because he nods hello without even knowing you. maybe it was excellence recognizing excellence, right @Empirical Cane?

chatted for a while about Miami, the U, Bain etc. his passion and energy exude, maybe it was the quadruple expresso. cool and authentic dude.
Heading to team meetings I’m sure. Glad he’s going to be caffeinated 😂

Love hearing this and I think we landed a great one in Guidry. Which is important as we have more potential weaknesses on defense than offense, so he needs to not just help us win, but make sure we avoid losing games due to defensive gaps and mismatches.

p.s. I ran into James Coley about a decade ago in a hotel restaurant. I got the exact opposite impression. Dude was singularly unimpressive to me.

Advertisement
Love hearing this and I think we landed a great one in Guidry. Which is important as we have more potential weaknesses on defense than offense, so he needs to not just help us win, but make sure we avoid losing games due to defensive gaps and mismatches.

p.s. I ran into James Coley about a decade ago in a hotel restaurant. I got the exact opposite impression. Dude was singularly unimpressive to me.
i met coley also, weak and tepid. he's the polar opposite of Guidry

He was actually nodding at your mocha cookie crumble frap with extra whip. Real recognize real.

Advertisement
Back