Lakewood Ranch, Manatee and Palmetto coaches suspended for recruting violations

Advertisement
From the article:

Manatee High head coach Yusuf Shakir was suspended for eight games, including the 2020 spring game and fall classic, and must forfeit $5,000 of his salary. He was also reprimanded and placed on administrative probation through June 30, 2021. The report states, Shakir “presented urging, enticing or pressuring statements/acts (approximately 20) to the Lincoln Academy students during a scheduled athletic tour of the school’s football facilities.”

Dennis Stallard, the longtime special teams coach at Manatee High, was suspended for six games and must forfeit $5,000 for making approximately four “urging, enticing or pressuring statements/acts,” to the Lincoln students.
Palmetto High head coach Dave Marino was hit with the same penalties as Shakir for the same action. The school was fined $2,500 because no assistant coaches were found in violation.

Lakewood Ranch head coach Rashad West was suspended for six games, including four regular-season games, with the same monetary penalty as Shakir and Marino. According to the FHSAA report, “West scheduled and conducted an athletic tour to the Lincoln Academy students.” Lakewood Ranch High was placed on probation and fined $2,500.

All three coaches were contacted by Lincoln Memorial Academy coaches about showing their students what it takes to play at the next level. Lincoln coaches contacted five high schools within Manatee County about the same thing.

FHSAA findings from Facebook Live videos showed at least 30 Lincoln students, according to the FHSAA report, who visited Manatee, Palmetto and Lakewood Ranch for tours of their football facilities.

The video for Manatee is approximately 58 minutes long, it’s approximately 57 minutes long for Palmetto and video of the Lakewood Ranch visit is approximately two minutes long, according to the FHSAA report.

All three schools’ principals and athletic directors were unaware of the visits until Montgomery reported it to them.
A Lincoln staff member recorded videos of each visit, and “was asked to cut the video,” after students headed into the weight room after meeting West at Lakewood Ranch, according to the FHSAA.

Shakir, Stallard and Marino were found to have made statements/acts “that urge, entice or pressure a student to attend,” their respective schools.

Advertisement
The state is closing the Lincoln Academy Charter based on some sexual harassment allegations. Those kids needed a place to play anyways if im not mistaken. It's been all in the papers. I think the Lincoln Charter school has to shell over $300K to settle the allegations.

The state is closing the Lincoln Academy Charter based on some sexual harassment allegations. Those kids needed a place to play anyways if im not mistaken. It's been all in the papers. I think the Lincoln Charter school has to shell over $300K to settle the allegations.

So FHSAA suspended and fined the coaches for nothing

Advertisement
Sounds like it. I'm not totally sure as i didn't really read the article. I just live in the area and the Lincoln Charter School scandal has been a big time news story around here.

Yeah I'm confused. 🤔

Are they in trouble for trying to persuade the kids away from the academy? The academy coaches are the ones who set up the tours, no?

My good friend in the HC at Lakewood Ranch. I gotta find out WTF this is about. Sounds funny.

Advertisement
This a daily occurrence in Dade and Broward. Every school that’s even remotely competitive is recruiting.

That is one of the most absurd things I have ever read. Do you guys know what the stipend is for an asst football coach in Florida?

This is like the ncaa going after Miami basketball and ignoring Duke and Kentucky blatantly cheating for years

What is a crootin violation these days anyway?? Is that where certain unlucky peeps get blamed for what everybody else is doing...??

Advertisement
Miami Palmetto HS- the Panthers? or the other Palmetto HS where jack allison went? I went to Killian and always thought it was cool that the canes had Jaquan and Redwine from Killian vs. Jack Allison from Palmetto.. then i found out that Allison was from the city of palmetto- not that punk *** school in Miami. I also would soon learn that Jack Allison sucked.

lol is this like when Bama starts to get in hot water and the NCAA rains fire on Ole' Miss? Pretty sure the only decent alumni out of Lakewood Ranch was Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie lol

Manatee hasn't been good since the Kinnan years but had Ace Sanders, Demarcus Christmas, and Tommy Fraizer, also my personal favorite Willie Taggert (We can thank Kinnan for getting Willie T all that cash)

Palmetto had Joe Hills who set every **** indoor football record but other than that I don't recall them doing much.

Advertisement
Back