Ladies and gentlemen - the forgotten visitor

I'll tell u what...2 things stuck out to me watching his tape.

He absolutely torched Heritage and their 4-5 star secondary in the state tilte game.

He's got that post corner route on lock.

Advertisement
I'll tell u what...2 things stuck out to me watching his tape.

He absolutely torched Heritage and their 4-5 star secondary in the state tilte game.

Part of me says he doesn't appear to be fast, but on the other hand he is getting behind alot
of highly recruited kids.
Interesting prospect.

Advertisement
[TWEET]822879194224979968[/TWEET]

Unless the recruiting rules have changed, you couldn't invite prospective walkons to
official visits.
In other words, if he is on an OV, then he has to get a scholie if he joins the program.
Did something change?
I think it might be different for Preferred walk-ons because they don't actually receive a scholly until I think their Soph or Junior year because it would count towards the incoming class if they did. So they don't actually get a scholly until after a whole class has been signed.

To be honest, I don't exactly know, because I thought everything had to do with the financial aid they receive, I had read that Preferred walk-ons still have their room & board paid for by the school.

But, Idk lol

Unless the recruiting rules have changed, you couldn't invite prospective walkons to
official visits.
In other words, if he is on an OV, then he has to get a scholie if he joins the program.
Did something change?

i think he's on an unofficial visit

I thought kids on unofficial visits were not given the same perks as kids on
OVs?
Perhaps it's OK to put on unis and take pictures with coaches but school can
put him up in hotel and take him out to dinner?
Thanks for following up!

official visits.
Did something change?
I think it might be different for Preferred walk-ons because they don't actually receive a scholly until I think their Soph or Junior year because it would count towards the incoming class if they did. So they don't actually get a scholly until after a whole class has been signed.

To be honest, I don't exactly know, because I thought everything had to do with the financial aid they receive, I had read that Preferred walk-ons still have their room & board paid for by the school.

But, Idk lol

I don't think there is much difference between preferred and regular walkons.
Both are not entitled to room, board, tutors, etc.
But I'm not sure either.

The Meaning of a Preferred Walk-on

Written by John Infante

Today many football (and soccer and track and men’s water polo) prospects will sign scholarship offers and National Letters of Intent. But next to them at their school’s signing ceremony might be some prospects who are donning college gear and maybe even signing a type of offer but it won’t be an NLI and they won’t be getting a scholarship, at least not right away.

They are preferred walk-ons, to use the most common term. Football Scoop asked coaches what that meant and while there is a lot of consensus, there is some room for interpretation:

Nine out of the 10 staffs we spoke with use the “preferred concept” and to those nine, the clear difference between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred means he is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster day one of camp, while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.

Football is different from most other sports in that it has a roster size limit during part of the year. FBS football teams are limited to 105 participants between the start of fall camp and the first game or start of school (whichever comes first). These walk-ons have to come to campus early and the institution will be footing the bill for their housing and food during preseason practice, so it is important to distinguish who should come in early August and who should wait until school starts.

Some programs might go one step further and invite or request preferred walk-ons to attend summer school and get started on strength and conditioning training. Expect this to increase since these workouts can now be mandatory for part of the summer. But this note about financial aid is no longer correct:

One coach added that preferred guys “may also be invited to summer school to train with the team. Some conferences allow the institution to pay for summer school without penalty.”

As part of a package of proposals designed to limit “oversigning” or roster management, any incoming student-athlete who receives financial aid for summer school counts as both an initial and overall scholarship for the following academic year. This was to prevent football coaches from signing athletes, bringing them to summer school, and then greyshirting them. Receiving financial aid for summer school triggers transfer status, so the player would not be able to transfer without penalty. But it also means incoming preferred walk-ons can no longer get their first summer paid for without turning them into scholarship players.

Finally, preferred walk-ons are in a better place to earn a scholarship but in football it normally does not happen until a player’s junior year. That’s because giving a walk-on a scholarship after his freshman year still uses one of the 25 initial scholarships for that year. A player has to be on the team for two full years before they can get a scholarship and not have it count like an incoming student.

Advertisement
You can invite whoever you want for an official visit.

The key rule is the schools are limited to a certain number of OVs each cycle (I think it's in the 40-50 range), so it's pretty rare a school will use up an OV for someone who wouldn't be a scholarship player.

This staff has been pretty adamant about not just giving free trips, so we have extra OV spots to use on someone like Few

official visits.
Did something change?

But, Idk lol

I don't think there is much difference between preferred and regular walkons.
Both are not entitled to room, board, tutors, etc.
But I'm not sure either.

i think the only difference is that preffered walk-ons are guaranteed a spot on the team.

if our guy Pfenninger couldnt see the field here, then this dude has no shot. looking forward to that 2021 podcast episode with him, in which he gives us an unfiltered, behind the scenes take on our return to dominance.

Few is so much better than Pfenninger, it's laughable you mentioned Pfenninger in the same breath as him.

Ban this scumbag.

He would be the second (maybe third) best wide receiver on our team RIGHT NOW just on his hands alone.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He would be the second (maybe third) best wide receiver on our team RIGHT NOW just on his hands alone.

Hilarious.

You know this based on one locker room pic and 12 seconds of grainy video. You must be a professional scout.

The shīt some people post on here. It's like there's no intelligence filter to scrub their thoughts through, and they just post these random stupid thoughts as they come to their minds.

Advertisement
Back