Kuligowski making an impression on Carney

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami Central has won four straight state titles and it doesn't seem like that streak will end this year. The roster was already stocked with plenty of top-level talent and the Rockets got even stronger in the offseason, as defensive end Owen Carney made the move from Miramar.

Carney, a 6-3, 236-pound edge rusher, says he has a top group of Miami, Duke, Illinois, Syracuse, and Mississippi State right now. The University of Miami is the only in-state school on that list, but the hometown Canes are not guaranteed to land his services.

"That's going to factor into my decision, but I wouldn't say that me being away from home is going to be the ultimate deciding factor. I'm open to going away," Carney told CanesInSight.

When asked who is recruiting him the hardest out of those schools, he mentioned Mississippi State, Illinois, and Duke.

That doesn't mean that the Canes aren't showing interest. Miami has offered Carney and Defensive Line coach Craig Kuligowski was at Central's spring game last weekend. Carney is intrigued by Kuligowski's success in helping his players reach the next level.

"Coach Kool came to watch me play last Saturday and he told me that he loved my performance. He thinks our team is special this year and that I'm really going to help them out," said Carney. "His experience separates him as far as D-Line coaches. He has a great track record producing great ends and that's what I like about him."

Manny Diaz's defensive scheme has also caught Carney's attention as someone looking to put pressure on the quarterback.

"He's going to switch it up and he's going to make us get after the quarterback from many different types of ways and different angles," said Carney.

Carney has been impressed with Miami's efforts in South Florida during this recruiting cycle

"I have two teammates at Central committed to Miami (Navaughn Donaldson and Waymon Steed) and a very close friend of mine at Miramar in Brian Edwards who is considering Miami," Carney said. "I like how they are trying to lock this area down and not letting any of the local talent get away like we've seen before. It's a great strategy because the best talent in the country is down here, easily."

Carney added that he is an early enrollee and hopes to have his decision made by August 20th. Carney said that if he is still not ready to decide by then, he plans on waiting until after his season and make his choice in mid-late December.

Advertisement
Pete, is he a take right now? Who is at the top of our DE board?

1. Parks
2. Wright
3. Garvin
4. Carney

???

Advertisement

1. Parks
2. Wright
3. Garvin
4. Carney

???
No try

1) Jarez Parks
2) DJ Johnson
3) Jordan Wright
4) Jonathan Garvin
5) Micheal Allen
6) Owen Carney

and that's who's interested

Last edited:
Carney seems like he's a plan B kid with plan A potential. His senior year is going to figure heavily in things. I think the kid is going to blow up.

Advertisement
They are clearly slow playing him, won't end up here. The staff is focusing on bigger fish.

Carney told 247 today staff's only taking 3 D-linemen in this class total. We have Jon Ford committed already so that leaves 2 spots, there's no way he's prioritized over Wright and Garvin( who say they talk to the staff constantly) let alone Jarez and DJ

They are clearly slow playing him, won't end up here. The staff is focusing on bigger fish.

Carney told 247 today staff's only taking 3 D-linemen in this class total. We have Jon Ford committed already so that leaves 2 spots

Ya I've figured this for some time, probably only one pure end as well out of those 3, leaving Carney on the bottom of a long list.

1. Parks
2. Wright
3. Garvin
4. Carney

???
No try

1) Jarez Parks
2) DJ Johnson
3) Jordan Wright
4) Jonathan Garvin
5) Micheal Allen
6) Owen Carney

Ha you always get me with the OOS guys.. Not to disagree with your post but I just don't see Allen coming here over UGA or another SEC school like Tenn

Maybe Johnson but we rarely land a guy like that

Advertisement

1. Parks
2. Wright
3. Garvin
4. Carney

???
No try

1) Jarez Parks
2) DJ Johnson
3) Jordan Wright
4) Jonathan Garvin
5) Micheal Allen
6) Owen Carney

Ha you always get me with the OOS guys.. Not to disagree with your post but I just don't see Allen coming here over UGA or another SEC school like Tenn

Quick question how many times have you questioned me and two to three weeks later they've release an article talking about their high interest in the University and that they're visiting?...quick question have you put Keldrick Carper on the list yet?? Or are you going to wait for the second article when he says UM recruits him the hardest and it's a UM vs. ND battle

What do you think I pull this info out of my *** or something??

Last edited:
Surprised we might only take 3 DL. I was thinking we'd taking at least 4 -- 2 DTs and 2 DEs.

1. Parks
2. Wright
3. Garvin
4. Carney

???
No try

1) Jarez Parks
2) DJ Johnson
3) Jordan Wright
4) Jonathan Garvin
5) Micheal Allen
6) Owen Carney

Quick question how many times have you questioned me and two to three weeks later they'verelease an article talking about their high interest in the University and that their visiting?...quick question have you put Keldrick Carper on the list yet?? Or are you going to wait for the second article when he says UM recruits him the hardest and it's a UM vs. ND battle

I don't care what "articles" say. How many times in recent history have we landed these nationally recruited OOS kids that say they have "high interest" in an article?

It happens with maybe 1 player a year if that.

The articles that websites like Scout, rivals, etc. post are to try to sell/gain subscriptions. I don't look too much into what they say.

Advertisement

1. Parks
2. Wright
3. Garvin
4. Carney

???
No try

1) Jarez Parks
2) DJ Johnson
3) Jordan Wright
4) Jonathan Garvin
5) Micheal Allen
6) Owen Carney

Quick question how many times have you questioned me and two to three weeks later they'verelease an article talking about their high interest in the University and that their visiting?...quick question have you put Keldrick Carper on the list yet?? Or are you going to wait for the second article when he says UM recruits him the hardest and it's a UM vs. ND battle

I don't care what "articles" say. How many times in recent history have we landed these nationally recruited OOS kids that say they have "high interest" in an article?

It happens with maybe 1 player a year if that.

The articles that websites like Scout, rivals, etc. post are to try to sell/gain subscriptions. I don't look too much into what they say.

Quick question when's the last time we had a staff who could actually recruit

We'll be getting high quality DL for every year that Kuligowski is here - and judging by his length of service at Toledo and Missouri, I don't see him bolting until there's a HC change at some later point down the road...

Advertisement
Back