KR and PR

Since when do we get hyped about RETURN AVERAGE at The University of Miami?

Y'all serious?
So what do you base a punt returner’s ability on? A great average means you’re consistently doing a good job. Not everybody can be Devin Hester with multiple touchdowns a season.

Advertisement
Need to recruit speed
Agreed.. Their is plenty of speed guys in & around the SoFla region, recruit player's for that position!! YES recruit returners!! Then of course we put them at the skill position that best fits them BUT we need to recruit returners.. ***Player's like Roscoe, Santana & Hester were brought to Miami to return kicks, we need play-makers returning kicks, not just player's with speed***.

Advertisement
Great kick & punt returners have:

1) Great vision
2) Some wiggle
3) Great speed
4) A knack for running in the open field
5) Great blockers & a solid special teams coach
6) Dependable hands

Hester wasn't the fastest guy on the planet but his vision, knack for open field running and acceleration made him one of the best return men of all time. Phillip Buchanon wasn't quite as smooth as Hester but boy was he awesome as a returner.

Berrios was a great Cane and a safe choice but IMHO called for fair catches a little too often. He also didn't have elite speed.

Lamar Miller had excellent speed but didn't have the vision & wiggle that guys like Hester had. He was more of a straight line runner (as a returner).
Mostly, we've been missing elite speed at the position. Also, our special teams coaching hasn't been stellar for a while. Even guys like Hester need highly competent blockers to be effective. We need stronger personnel groupings on ST this year.

We used to suffocate opponents with speed at every position. Elite top end speed has been missing at the WR & returner positions for a while now. We need to get back to that.

Cut that out on berrios man, I didn't mind him fair catching to much, I never had high expectations for his returns but he definitely got his in though! But don't disrespect roscoe parrish by not even mentioning him!

Punt returning has been solid. Kickoff return is a whole other story.
This, I can agree with. Kickoff returns have been generally mediocre while punt returns have been among the nation's best the last 5 years.

Still, how many actual kickoff returns does Miami get per game? One? Maybe two? Most kickers just boot the ball through the endzone these days. The rules are being changed to pretty much eliminate the kick return in the modern game. Ideally, I'd like to have a dangerous guy returning punts and kicks but if given the choice, I'm putting my big playmaker at PR where he'll actually get a chance to return the kick instead of watching it fly over his head into the endzone.

Advertisement
So what do you base a punt returner’s ability on? A great average means you’re consistently doing a good job. Not everybody can be Devin Hester with multiple touchdowns a season.
Our standards have always been different at Miami. Our guys house kicks.

A good average just tells me that you're good at making the first 4 guys miss but always get tripped/hawked or tackled in the open field by the last guy. 😆

My requirements are very low, I just want someone who won't fumble a la Jeff Thomas against Florida.
Inside his own 5 yd line nonetheless. I never understood to field a punt inside 5 yard line. Somebody help me on that.

Inside his own 5 yd line nonetheless. I never understood to field a punt inside 5 yard line. Somebody help me on that.
You don’t. You dig your heels at the 10 and if it goes over your head, it goes over your head.

Advertisement
I've said it 1700 times in my life....just put the kid back there who can catch the ball 100 times out of 100.

I know there are a lot of plays in a football game, so it's hard to say 1 of them lost or won an entire game.....but if Jeff Thomas just catches a god**** punt in Orlando last year, IMO Miami is 1-0, the gator is 0-1, and who knows how the rest of the year goes.

Just catch it. I don't need Roscoe Parrish, although that would be nice. Just don't be Jeff Thomas and give the other team a football game.

I've said it 1700 times in my life....just put the kid back there who can catch the ball 100 times out of 100.

I know there are a lot of plays in a football game, so it's hard to say 1 of them lost or won an entire game.....but if Jeff Thomas just catches a god**** punt in Orlando last year, IMO Miami is 1-0, the gator is 0-1, and who knows how the rest of the year goes.

Just catch it. I don't need Roscoe Parrish, although that would be nice. Just don't be Jeff Thomas and give the other team a football game.
We had that game won so many ways. F'n omen for the rest of the season...

If fielding the punt is paramount then Harley and Pope are automatically disqualified.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back