Know Your Enemy - 2023 Miami Hurricanes vs 2023 Clemson Tigers

GojiraCane

All ACC
1692326256790.png

1692326278641.png

1692326298016.png

1692326317177.png

Some quick observations:
  • Clemson has an on-paper advantage at overall position groups at offensive line (barely), defensive tackle, linebacker, cornerback
  • Miami has an on-paper advantage at wide receiver (barely, with one player dragging down the overall average for the Tigers), tight end, running back, quarterback (due to the sheer volume of players), defensive end, and safety
  • Clemson has only one transfer portal player on their roster. Miami has 24.
  • Clemson is carrying a high number of defensive backs (17) and an unusually high number of quarterbacks (6)
  • This has led to the Tigers scrimping elsewhere. Linebackers are low (just 6).

Advertisement
Coaching matters. Dabo puts out a great product.
The other difference - at least when comparing Miami to Clemson - is the experience. So many of our highly rated players are in year 1 or 2. Clemson has highly rated 1st and 2nd year players as well, but they have a lot more highly rated talent with experience.

Advertisement
New offense for them with riley coming from tcu, young qb with potential. Wrs is a question for them just like us, but their dbs is a tougher matchup for our wrs than our dbs is for their wrs.

Their dline can cause problems for us on the edges, lb is good as well.

Last year if we had some offense that game could have been closer, we actually showed some fight vs them but unfortunately we had a true freshman starting at clemson and we had one of the worst offensive games ever lol.

I picked this as a loss but i think we should be competitive vs them especially at home

Honestly you shouldn't count anyone below like an 83 in your averages. Those guys are walk-on depth, and don't really serve to accurately measure the talent differential. Like Clemsons QB has 98, 95, 83, 79, 69 so they average like 85, whereas us with just 91, 90, 87 average 90... Even though Our starter is the 91 and theres is the 98.. So technically yeah on average we have a better QB group, but do we actually when their starter is way higher rated than our starter, their backup is way higher rated than our backup, and all we really have better rating is 3rd string...

Advertisement
Honestly you shouldn't count anyone below like an 83 in your averages. Those guys are walk-on depth, and don't really serve to accurately measure the talent differential. Like Clemsons QB has 98, 95, 83, 79, 69 so they average like 85, whereas us with just 91, 90, 87 average 90... Even though Our starter is the 91 and theres is the 98.. So technically yeah on average we have a better QB group, but do we actually when their starter is way higher rated than our starter, their backup is way higher rated than our backup, and all we really have better rating is 3rd string...
Yes, that’s the one weakness in using broad averages in the comparison. That said, there are no walk on players listed - purely scholarship players.

I’d like to revisit this when we play, removing inactives and any injured to see how the comparison then looks.

Clemson's offense doesn't scare me. I watched their Spring game, and they have no threats at WR, Klubnik is kind of overrated..the only thing they have on offense is Shipley & Mafah.
They’re one of the teams that will test our run defense. Tcu ran the ball very well so I expected them to be better there

Advertisement
Clemson's offense doesn't scare me. I watched their Spring game, and they have no threats at WR, Klubnik is kind of overrated..the only thing they have on offense is Shipley & Mafah.
Very beatable Clemson team if we have our offense humming

**** we could have maybe won last year if our offense could figure out how to even put one foot in front of the other

Cautiously optimistic we can make a game of it vs Clemson, especially at home. Depending on the game the previous weekend against UNC I think will determine how we play the Tigers. If we have a really competitive game against the Tarheels and even a possible win, it will do a lot of positives in terms of confidence and ability to compete in this game. We get blown out by UNC the team could fold this one.

Advertisement
Call me crazy, but in the past 10yrs I feel like this year is our best matchup with Clemson

If our Coordinators punch up, I like our chances
I just want to see it at this point. I can’t remember the last team ranked 10 or better that we were competitive against, yet alone beat (2017 excluded).

Yes, that’s the one weakness in using broad averages in the comparison. That said, there are no walk on players listed - purely scholarship players.

I’d like to revisit this when we play, removing inactives and any injured to see how the comparison then looks.
Gotcha, I meant former walkons though, like Ragone

Yeah will be good to see the comparison for the actual depth chart in a few months.

Josh Pate talks about Dabo and Clemson on his show last night..... As always, Pate lays it out pretty clearly....

Starts around the 4 minute mark regarding Dabo and his "culture". The entire clip is only 8 minutes and also very good...
Mentions Miami....

Advertisement
Back