KNIGHTON

Advertisement
I must have missed that. I didn’t realize he was committed. That’s pretty remarkable then. Look how it went with Quincy and Marco Wilson.
Quincy I understand why he didn't want to come here and Marco just followed in his footsteps. It's weird because geamon was hanging out at miami a while ago. And yea his brother is fred eaford wr 2021. Go look him up he has ridiculously good hands

I like @Coach Macho as a poster but let’s keep it 100, sounds like coach is salty that Knighton is going to FSU or OSU and is in his feelings about Deerfield. It’s August, yet, we have one of the best classes in 2020, with a new HC and coming off a 7-6 season. His 2021 class is #1 (don’t mean **** today) in the country. They have invited countless HS staff’s to their clinics and events in the past 6 months. Looks like they are doing a decent job establishing relationships to me. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely! That takes time. I have been extremely critical on Diaz for recruiting but amateur seems a bit harsh and comes off agenda driven given your occupation. Throwing other HS’s under the bus for not sending their “elite” kids to Miami when Deerfield has only sent 1 in the last 2 decades is not a good look.

Last edited:
Advertisement
tenor (14).gif

2. Golden's staff actually wasn't that bad. Paul Williams was a goof and Golden came across as a used car salesman but Hurley, D'Onofrio and a couple other guys were cool dudes. (just turns out they couldn't coach) They actually attempted to make the HS guys feel at home though, at least in the handful of times that I was there. Their main issue in regards to recruiting was EVALUATION.
There’s that word again. I keep talkinbout it. It’s what we have failed at since Coker. Ain’t no foxon the program without evaluating better, no matter how well we sell. This isn’t directed at you, just the ongoing board discussion.
4. The fact that he's only been on the job for 6 months and we're just coming off of a terrible season should only make their staff MORE AGGRESSIVE. People in here have said that "UCF's staff has to be like that because they're UCF." Well no ****, they're trying to build something! Miami should be that way right now as well! They've been a joke for years and have a lot of catching up to do. Sitting around UCF's staff (for example) you get the sense that they're hungry. They're leaving no stone un-turned. Again, I could explain in more detail but then I'll just be accused of wanting attention, when that's not what it's about. It's about creating relationships that may pay dividends.
Amen! Thank you for saying that. The entitlement mentality is corrosive. The ‘we’re miami’ attitude. That is not how this place was built and it isn’t how we will be rebuilt.`

I will say, and I said it when he was hired, the personal relationship side of recruiting is an area I don’t see as Manny’s strength. But he can manage the program to address the issue if he needs to. It isn’t Saban’s strength, either, I don’t think. But he understands what to do to address it.

Advertisement
Maybe the same could be said about Deerfield as well.

I'm sure Miami hasn't recruited STA, MNW, Chaminade, Miami Central, Booker T, etc... perfectly either. But we still get a decent amount of players from each school for the most part. With Deerfield, we basically strike out every time. Miami not recruiting the school well and Deerfield being "anti-Miami" aren't mutually exclusive.

And from a fan standpoint, if Manny decided that he'd rather put his resources into other schools that have much more favorable relationships with Miami rather than fight a seemingly losing battle with Deerfield, then I can understand that logic.
Thats a narrative, not logic. I hope Manny does what he needs to do and doesnt’ get caught up believng the urban legends around our fan base.

No.
They come by practice during the spring to see who we got.

2022 LB Detarius Lee got 3 offers in one day.
Same with 2022 DT Alton Tarber.

These coaches know what they're looking for. All they have to do is see the kid move around, practice, hit, etc.

That's how it happens.

I don't think I saw a single defensive coach from Miami all spring.
This has been our issue for ages. If you don't know what you are looking for, you become gun shy. We havent. And so we overthink it. Over and over and over. We all kinda know this, but still hate on the messenger in this thread and elsewhere.

Eh...there's something not right about the situation at Deerfield. There is no other school in Dade or Broward that Miami consistently strikes out at. Sure, they don't get everybody. Yes, they haven't been very good. Still, there's no other school that hasn't sent at least a few kids this way over the years. Restrepo is the first Buck since probably Crudup and he technically hasn't even played a game for them. Something seems off.
Path dependency. It’s your enemy when the trend is against you, your friend when it’s going your way. It matters, because kids are shaped by those around them.

Advertisement
Agreed here. I think this will be a good class, but it looks like it's going to be a top 15 class, which can be somewhat concerning given this is supposed to be Manny's bump class. I will say though, we've always been told with previous staffs how much better they were at recruiting then their predecessors, only to show our *** on the field. If Manny's staff is more geared towards game planning and development that translates to better results on the field, then cool.

We'll likely get a couple more blue chip guys and a couple of others will leave like every cycle. But people gleaming at this being a top 10 class when it's late July, haven't followed recruiting long enough to know better.
Based on the new recruiting calendar, I think the bump class is ‘21, not ‘20. These kids are committing months after Manny got here. Not enough time for a honeymoon. Richt had it play out that way also, and he was hired earlier in the cycle than manny was. The risk is, if he has a bad first year, the bloom will be off the rose.

Seems like the coaches want more attention than the recruits. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah hate to say because I generally enjoy coaches post and I'm sure it's getting lost in the translation....but he just sounds like HE wants to get recruited.
Again not saying we dont have an issue but it's just like how its coming off.

Bro the two 2022 kids we have on defense are no-brainers. You offer them now, especially Tarber. You at least develop a relationship with them, not let Bama and Auburn start that process before you. I'm not sure if Miami even knows they exist.
As a coach isn’t this part of your job also? To make sure they are known. When I coached it was part of our job to get our kids info out to all schools. No matter the level of talent the kid was.

Advertisement
Both things can be true in this argument.
We have 22 commits. A lot of them have offers from our iin State rivals and out of state teams including the sec.
But for some reason Deerfield beach and other Broward schools have a problem with our staff that other schools kids and parents don’t.
The fact remains Deerfield kids don’t come here regardless of staff.
Macho expresses what a parent said about how other staffs run circles around ours and we don’t recruit the family etc etc.
That was the writing on the wall that Knighton wasn’t coming. It should also be a sign that that school will continue to rinse and repeat with the rest of their players.
We keep saying that our staff is different and they may be. They may be trying to establish communication and relationships with schools that don’t have a long history of giving us the middle finger.
Relationships are a 2 way street. UM is lucky to have so much talent down here that they may be avoiding certain obstacles. Deerfield is lucky that every top program recruits down here and goes out of their way to grease the wheels. So both Deerfield and UM can exist without each other.
Everyone on this board from the jump kept repeating the same thing and it had to be for a reason. We did t just make up his deerfield talk. It’s been going on and we knew no matter how much talk there was that he wasn’t coming based on what has gone on with that school and UM.

Last edited:
The fact remains Deerfield kids don’t come here regardless of staff.
Macho expresses what a parent said about how other staffs run circles around ours and we don’t recruit the family etc etc.
That was the writing on the wall that Knighton wasn’t coming. It should also be a sign that that school will co tonite to rinse and repeat with the rest of their players.
We keep saying that our staff is different and they may be. They may be trying to establish communication and relationships with schools that don’t have a long history of giving us the middle finger.
Relationships are a 2 way street. UM is lucky to have so much talent down here that they may be avoiding certain obstacles.
[/QUOTE]

I'll use chicks as an analogy.

If there's a chick that you have a crush on...
And you really want to impress her...

Wouldn't it be a GOOD THING if all of her friends and family thought highly of you?

Can you pull her without that? Sure, possibly. But having her friends/family in your corner helps you!

If you're recruiting a stud WR, you want to have as many pro-Miami guys around that kid as possible. If you leave an impression on the kid's position coach, or his freakin' barber, and that kid hears you talking about Miami's coaches in a positive light that resonates with the kid.

How do some of yall not get this?
Yall making this about me. This is about covering details!

Fair enough coach.

As a coach isn’t this part of your job also? To make sure they are known. When I coached it was part of our job to get our kids info out to all schools. No matter the level of talent the kid was.
If Alabama and other SEC schools know the kids, don't you think the coaches are actually doing their jobs?

Advertisement
Back