KNIGHTON

I think if the coaches were sitting solo at a table and not mingling then that would seem to be a basic business development issue. I’m saying this in a vacuum as I have no idea what, if any, other dynamics are in play.

Advertisement
Don't engage me. That's fine. I don't give a ****. But you have no clue who I am or the rapport I have with certain kids. I may only be a water boy, but I may drive that 5-star DT home every day after practice because he needs a ride...and we talk about everything. He may be like a son to me. I may be that missing puzzle piece that helps you get a kid.

And like I said before...
Yall keep harping on my interactions for some reason and are completely ignoring what I mentioned about our 2022 kids already being recruited by the SEC.

Advertisement
Don't engage me. That's fine. I don't give a ****. But you have no clue who I am or the rapport I have with certain kids. I may only be a water boy, but I may drive that 5-star DT home every day after practice because he needs a ride...and we talk about everything. He may be like a son to me. I may be that missing puzzle piece that helps you get a kid.

Yall keep harping on my interactions for some reason and are completely ignoring what I mentioned about our 2022 kids already being recruited by the SEC.
Jaziun Patterson, Daterius Lee & Alton Tarber?

Guys Guys....I swear it's not about me, it's about the kids

I'll use chicks as an analogy.

If there's a chick that you have a crush on...
And you really want to impress her...

Wouldn't it be a GOOD THING if all of her friends and family thought highly of you?

Can you pull her without that? Sure, possibly. But having her friends/family in your corner helps you!

If you're recruiting a stud WR, you want to have as many pro-Miami guys around that kid as possible. If you leave an impression on the kid's position coach, or his freakin' barber, and that kid hears you talking about Miami's coaches in a positive light that resonates with the kid.

How do some of yall not get this?
Yall making this about me. This is about covering details!

seems like a logical approach.

Go Canes

Advertisement

These kids are still freshmen in high school. I understand that relationships must be built over time, but the expectations need to be grounded in reality. Time and resources aren't unlimited, and certain $ec schools have recruiting budgets that eclipse anything Miami has (and which include a small army of recruiting analysts and support staff to facilitate these relationships).

Now, if these Deerfield kids are blue chip prospects and haven't heard from UM by the end of February 2020 (after the 2020 class is wrapped up), then that's a problem. But being "late" on a couple of kids because UM hasn't reached out about them before the start of their sophomore year? C'mon, man...

Some. But that doesn't matter. That's part of the recruiting game, dummy. You're a salesman.

I don't EXPECT ****. But if you're a college coach and you choose not to create a relationship with every guy who coaches at one of the most talented teams in the country then you lack awareness and are going to struggle in recruiting. I don't even know why I have to explain the value in this. I'm baffled that some of yall don't get it.

The old saying "it's not about what you know, it's who you know".
You want as many HS coaches in your pocket as possible. Most other programs in the country get this. It's not some crazy concept.
It doesn’t matter that folks are outright lying to you, and you think you’re looking out for the kids even when you fall for their lies.

JFC dude.

We get it. We know kissing *** helps. It helps in every facet of life. Usually *** kissers are the quickest to take shortcuts and throw others under the bus for their own gain. Just cuz it’s the way things are done doesn’t mean it’s how they should be done.

Miami needs to be more detail oriented by reaching out to high school staffs on and off campus. That’s literally all you had to say. Instead you made it about yourself.

Wouldn't it be a GOOD THING if all of her friends and family thought highly of you?

Can you pull her without that? Sure, possibly. But having her friends/family in your corner helps you!

If you're recruiting a stud WR, you want to have as many pro-Miami guys around that kid as possible. If you leave an impression on the kid's position coach, or his freakin' barber, and that kid hears you talking about Miami's coaches in a positive light that resonates with the kid.

Don’t give theses jack offs no game.
Let them keep getting off on Tate Martells girl.

Advertisement

Chick's isn't a good analogy. Often they respond to the guys that ignore them or their family dislikes. The nice guy gets cucked.

Does not compute, all I do is walk in and ask how much!!!

Advertisement

you just made it about yourself lol

I am not saying Macho is wrong, but there are three sides to every story. There is his perspective, I am sure there is the UM staff's story, and then there is the truth. There is probably some truth in what he is saying, but I just find it hard to believe that the same staff that went to crash the Nike coaches event outright ignores coaches that they invite to a clinic on campus.

I am by no means a linguistic expert but are you saying Miami coaches aren't doing their best job to woo the kid's family/friends or his coaches?

1. I'm not sure how to answer that. Are you referring to getting on kids early when you say "early offers"? Like in reference to the two 2022 kids I have?

2. Golden's staff actually wasn't that bad. Paul Williams was a goof and Golden came across as a used car salesman but Hurley, D'Onofrio and a couple other guys were cool dudes. (just turns out they couldn't coach) They actually attempted to make the HS guys feel at home though, at least in the handful of times that I was there. Their main issue in regards to recruiting was EVALUATION. And Diaz staff as a whole may not be bad. But having a coaching clinic at your school, and not doing a good job of "chopping it up" with coaches, that's not a good look. Even Golden's staff made sure they walked the room and talked ball with the HS coaches. Now, I give credit to Miami's staff for even having a UM coaching clinic. That was cool. But that **** is common. It's nothing forward-thinking. It's the way you interact WITH the coaches during these events that really matters. I'M NOT SAYING THAT THEY WERE BAD, they just weren't as detailed or personable as other staffs I've been around. And from what I've been told, this is how they are with the kids sometimes.

3. Our Head Coach plans to communicate these issues with Miami. He said it yesterday. He wants to have a "sit down" with them. We're all tired of the anti-Miami stereotype and the only way to fix it is to get Miami to recruit our school better. Period. There's no reason that they shouldn't be on top of our young prospects right now while Bama, Auburn, etc already are. Makes no sense. They're already behind with two elite 2022 kids.

4. The fact that he's only been on the job for 6 months and we're just coming off of a terrible season should only make their staff MORE AGGRESSIVE. People in here have said that "UCF's staff has to be like that because they're UCF." Well no ****, they're trying to build something! Miami should be that way right now as well! They've been a joke for years and have a lot of catching up to do. Sitting around UCF's staff (for example) you get the sense that they're hungry. They're leaving no stone un-turned. Again, I could explain in more detail but then I'll just be accused of wanting attention, when that's not what it's about. It's about creating relationships that may pay dividends.

@Coach Macho , it's all good, I hope my questions didn't make it seem like I'm one of the guys criticizing you. I AM NOT. I value your opinions and I don't think you want the "attention". Unfortunately, when you posted, you said "even if it makes me look like a d!ck", and some of these guys are trying to take you up on that. Don't worry about what they say, don't respond to every single guy, I understand what you are saying and I don't think you are making this all about you, just trying to give us insight into how the kids and coaches feel.

On the issue of getting on kids early and/or early offers (not sure if they are always the same thing), I would break it into a few parts. First, you mention your 2022 kids - do you think Miami coaches are "behind" because we have had coaching turnover, or do you think that Miami intentionally tries to hold off on early offers (regardless of which coaching staff it is)? And in the past, if we have "not been on a kid early" and/or not giving out an early offer, was it due to the newness of the coaches under Golden and/or Richt? For instance, Golden brought a ton of coaches from outside of the SoFla area, who had never really recruited top SoFla talent until they got here.

I think my overall takeaway on early "on a kid" and early offers is this - for UM, is it a question of coaching turnover or coaching arrogance (or possibly just bad evals and lack of confidence), and if SEC programs are doing it better than we are, are they assisted by coaching stability or are they just taking a lot of gambles on SoFla kids early, hoping to hit jackpots? I'm trying to figure out how we turn our obvious asset (SoFla talent goldmine) back into a true strength. I'm not against going out and finding talent outside of SoFla, but if we don't need to...

And, ultimately, since we have seen a lot of...hesitation...for SoFla kids to re-trust Miami, it would be nice to find the right balance between tangible (wins, facilities, etc.) and intangible (relationships, etc.). I am having a hard time understanding how some of these kids can project a level of trust and confidence in Taggart's ability to turn things around, yet Miami has to go above-and-beyond to get kids to buy into our program's turnaround.

Don't let these guys get you down, Coach, I appreciate what you bring.

Advertisement
Back