KNIGHTON

Advertisement
A friend mine, a former UM MVP (Harding Award winner) many years ago, has been coaching at a N. Virginia HS team. He rarely calls down to Coral Gables with a prospect. Last year (2018 class) he had a very talented kid who was a late bloomer, a sleeper. We made several contacts with the staff including an assistant who had area recruiting responsibility for this area. Nobody ever got back to my friend, his HS, or the kid, who eventually signed with Virginia.

Puzzled at the attitude of the staff down there. I don't they had such a great haul at the position (DE or OLB) that UM could be so picky as to ignore the prospect in this area. What Coach Macho sounds very plausible given our experience.

The kid started one game as a true freshman at DE and was switched to TE in the spring.

Still, I have to wonder if they even looked at some film or just tossed his name in the trashcan.

When Randy Shannon shows more openness to you you have to wonder about the personalities of our staff. I always heard Randy was something of an introvert.

No offense to Mr. Misch but if he's already being switched to TE(I know he played it in HS) from DE maybe he couldn't play at Miami at DE and it was clear. And if he sticks at TE I don't think it would've worked out too well for him at that position at Miami either. But that besides the point. I'm not even gonna pretend to know the issues at Deerfield. But it aint new and it goes beyond one Miami staff and I don't know Deerfield's coaching history but it probably spans more than just one staff there too. So maybe every coach Miami has hired in the last decade plus just isn't personable? Maybe Deerfield only sends their best to the SEC? I don't even really care. We could win 11 games three years in a row and I'd never expect to get a true Deerfield kid. They're just like Dwyer to me. Just forget it about it.

No offense to Mr. Misch but if he's already being switched to TE from DE maybe he couldn't play at Miami at DE and it was clear. And if he sticks at TE i don't think it would've worked out too well for him at that position at Miami either. But that besides the point. I'm not even gonna pretend to know the issues at Deerfield. But it aint new and it goes beyond one Miami staff and I don't know Deerfield's coaching history but it probably spans more than just one staff there too. So maybe every coach Miami has hired in the last decade plus just isn't personable? Maybe Deerfield only sends their best to the SEC. I don't even really care. We could win 11 games three years in a row and I'd never expect to get a true Deerfield kid. They're just like Dwyer to me. Just forget it about it.

The Golden staff had two Deerfield kids coming and blew both recruitments. (one of which Paul Williams was responsible for)

Miami almost had Juedy but you can't blame the kid.

Slow played Eaford from what I understand.

Didn't even offer Dorlus. (LOL)

Diaz wanted Ashton Pierre but Coach Glenn actually did Miami a solid and warned them about his issues. (rather than send Miami a headache)

They haven't even recruited 2022 DT Alton Tarber or 2022 LB Detarius Lee yet. Both have offers from SEC schools. Miami will be late to the party on them.

But y'all swear it's Deerfield.

Now...
Please tell me who 7-6 Miami should've gotten from Deerfield during this time frame.

I just think it is funny to bring up "we've been trash" as the reason Deerfield kids don't go to Miami. Are Deerfield kids the most discerning kids in the entire state? Being trash the last decade plus hasn't stopped some of Jacksonville's best from playing at Miami. Hartley, Stroud, Barry, Hurlie Brown all pulling kids from that area. It aint just about Miami being bad.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Golden staff had two Deerfield kids coming and blew both recruitments. (one of which Paul Williams was responsible for)

Miami almost had Juedy but you can't blame the kid.

Slow played Eaford from what I understand.

Didn't even offer Dorlus. (LOL)

Diaz wanted Ashton Pierre but Coach Glenn actually did Miami a solid and warned them about his issues. (rather than send Miami a headache)

Now...
Please tell me who 7-6 Miami should've gotten from Deerfield.
Ask Oakleaf. For whatever reason 7-6 Miami hasn't been such a deterrent for a school up near Jacksonville to send their best. If Dorius is truly 270, he's a DT at Miami and would be rated behind all 3 that signed last year. I didn't watch him, but not offering him is justifiable if they brought three higher rated guys that they like.

Ask Oakleaf. For whatever reason 7-6 Miami hasn't been such a deterrent for a school up near Jacksonville to send their best.
Oh cause one fvckin' school sent us a couple of their dudes, there's no issue. LOL

And I didn't say it's THE issue.

Last edited:
Talk to me about STA and Heritage.
What dogs have they sent to Miami?

Miss me with that Blades and Harley bullsh!t too. And we've only gotten Silvera from Heritage, which is peanuts compared to who they've had. And we still almost lost him to UF but fortunately he can't live anywhere but a big city.

So STA has given us their back-up CB, a 136lb slot WR with no wiggle, a bunch of duds and a recent LB with good upside.

Heritage has given us a dud OL and an often-lazy DT who **** near got kicked off his HS team for being uncoachable and not staying out of trouble.

"But those are feeder schools bro!"

Miami hasn't been getting ANYBODY'S elite players. This is not just a Deerfield issue.

Last edited:

Miss me with that Blades and Harley bullsh!t too. And we've only gotten Silvera from Heritage, which is peanuts compared to who they've had.
Deerfield aint unique. They're one of a couple. Heritage and Dwyer being most prominent. Even with STA Miami will get a guy like Huff every once in awhile. Only Dwyer and Deerfield are absolute 0fers. You would know better, when is the last Deerfield kid to even OV to Miami? The relationship is so bad they're not even interested in the free hotels and cookie cakes?

Advertisement
Baker and Patke are cool guys. Super personable. Helpful.

Enos I had to introduce myself too. Told him we were glad to have him down here. He didn't look like he wanted to be bothered.

Hixson I was standing right next to. Clueless. Didn't speak to me even though I was right next to Knighton.

Mike Rumph walked by our table. Said hello for a second, then kept it moving. Mike is a very nice guy though. Very personable.

And I haven't interacted with anybody else. Which again, is a problem. I'm at MF'ing Deerfield! I should know all the **** UM coaches.

Was Coach Hickson focused on a discussion with Knighton, hence his ignoring you.

An as for UCF'S gorilla marketing approach, they are UCF an need to beg, borrow, an steal to get quality recruits. So of course they are going to cater to HS coaches. Where as UM Coaches may feel more entitled because they are at UM an feel HS coaches need them rather than vice versa.

Go Canes

**** is ******* amateur hour in Coral Gables. I'm being real.

Being at UCF this weekend even clarified that for me. Their staff is light years ahead of ours in terms of recruiting and developing relationships.

Listen...
I don't need or want anybody to sweat me. But I was standing around the entire UM coaching staff (with DF gear on) and not one person engaged me. ****, one time I was standing there with Knighton! That's a problem. I never felt welcomed there. Meanwhile I go to UCF for a few hours and one minute I'm eating wings with Josh Huepel, the next minute I'm rummaging through Randy Shannon's refrigerator and later I left with two coach's cell phone numbers.

That's how you develop relationships. And if I have to explain that to you people then you are absolutely clueless on how recruiting works.

As I explained in another thread, Miami's staff just simply doesn't know how to show love like other staffs do. It doesn't feel organic.

Seems like the coaches want more attention than the recruits. 🤦‍♂️

Miss me with that Blades and Harley bullsh!t too. And we've only gotten Silvera from Heritage, which is peanuts compared to who they've had.
I posted last year(or maybe earlier this year) that Manny has missed on the majority of the elite defensive talent in South Florida since he's been DC. all you'll get is excuses and people bringing up the diamonds we got like Garvin. which is great, except you gotta get the guys that everybody else is fighting for too.

Cane fans will talk **** about Broward, but guess what more and more of the best SOFla players will be coming from Broward as more and more Black folks get pushed OUT of Miami Dade county. shift has been happening for the last 25 years.

at least on the offensive side Richt, Hartley, and Duggans were getting guys. Searls sucked tho.

what has Hickson done so far? absolutely nothing. Don chaney has been coming to UM since he was diapers. He didn't get Parrish, now Knighton is committing to a school that just went 5-7

Surtain, ***, Stevenson, Dent, Battle, Elam, Ingraham. all went elsewhere. we wanted them all.

I suggested the staff as a whole needs to take a sales course. recruiting = sales. it would absolutely help.

who is in charge of recruiting? cooney? DVD? Brooke? pata? Manny?

Was Coach Hickson focused on a discussion with Knighton, hence his ignoring you.

An as for UCF'S gorilla marketing approach, they are UCF an need to beg, borrow, an steal to get quality recruits. So of course they are going to cater to HS coaches. Where as UM Coaches may feel more entitled because they are at UM an feel HS coaches need them rather than vice versa.

Go Canes

LOL. Why would we need UM coaches? We have access to the players they want. They need us, buddy.

And UCF's staff has been all over the country at big-time schools. They recruit that way because THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DONE...not cause they're UCF and they "need" to. Staffs at bigger schools recruit the same way.

Miami "needs" to also. Who the fvck is Miami right now?!
We're trying to compete with Clemson!

Advertisement
LOL. Why would we need UM coaches? We have access to the players they want. They need us, buddy.

And UCF's staff has been all over the country at big-time schools. They recruit that way because THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DONE...not cause they're UCF and they "need" to. Staffs at bigger schools recruit the same way.

Miami "needs" to also. Who the fvck is Miami right now?!
We're trying to compete with Clemson!

Why is that one WR Gowdy or something like that getting CBed to GT and Syracuse?

Advertisement
I'm just gonna keep it 100 and tell you like this... (even if it makes me sound like a d!ck)

A lot of y'all don't know WTF you're talking about. Y'all be so deep into your fanhood that you can't see the actual light. Our staff does not recruit well. I just spent all day Saturday at UCF and those coaches can recruit better than ours. I've been to Miami campus several times and never felt the love that UCF showed me on Saturday. That's a problem. And as Miami fans none of y'all are objective. You refuse to believe what I'm telling you because it's not what you want to hear.

All the times I've been to Miami wearing Deerfield gear and not once has a coach walked up to me and introduced himself. Meanwhile I'm at UCF, and I have everybody and their mother coming by my table to say hello. Two of their coaches even sat down and ate wings with us while talking X's and O's. Two of their coaches gave me their cell phone numbers and told me to call them anytime if they had any questions. NEVER happened at Miami. I went to a Miami coaching clinic and during the Lunch Period, all of the Miami coaches sat with each other at a table, secluded from the high school guys. Why wouldn't they sit with the High School coaches?! Clueless as fvck. That's why. Zero clue on how to develop valuable relationships.

That's how good recruiters develop relationships. I might just be a slapd!ck with Deerfield gear on. Who knows? I might be the **** water boy. But I also might have a really good rapport with a future five star that you're recruiting. And you developing a relationship with me might help in that recruitment. That's called having foresight. You want to get as many Deerfield coaches in your good graces as you possibly can.

These dudes at Miami are fvckin' amateurs. Do you know that I have 2 rising sophomores right now who have already been offered by several SEC schools? (including Bama)
Miami doesn't even know about them. We spoke to Hixson on the phone this afternoon and reminded him about these two kids. So we're doing THE OPPOSITE of what y'all say Deerfield does!
I was sitting right next to Coach Glenn with Hixson on speaker phone and he told Hixson "Yall need to come get on these freshman I got blah blah blah."
How the fvck does the SEC know about these kids before Miami?! Our DT was the top ranked 8th grader in the entire country! Bama offered him ON SITE!

By the time Miami talks to him Bama and Auburn will have already developed a relationship. And as usual Miami will be late to the party. And you ****heads will be blaming us for sending the kids to the SEC, claiming it's "bags".

GTFOH with y'all bullsh!t. Y'all have no clue WTF goes on behind the scenes.
I could literally not give less of a **** about what your analysis is of this. You should stick to talking about the facts and quit making grand judgments about ****. I'm not going to forget you thought Donofrio was our Savior and a total genius. So If you thought that that dip**** was a genius D-Coordinator after talking with him for like an hour or however long you said you talked to him for, your opinion on how well we recruit or how good/bad our coaches are is irrelevant. All you gotta say is "other schools are on this kid, we still aren't, and even when we try to put them on a player, they aren't showing interest".....I care 0 about your analysis. Also isn't it ******* hilarious and quite ironic that you thought Donofrio was a genius only after you say you talked to him for a long time and he shared his philosophy with you. It's almost like, he showed you the attention that you clearly crave (based on this post), and it led you to believe he was a genius, which was ultimately completely ******* false. I wonder how many players you tried to convince he was a great coach, simply because he gave you an hour of his time? And now I don't wonder if that can happen again, with other coaches who give you that attention...... '**** the kids, UCF's coaches ate their lunch at my table, that makes them better recruiters, and hey that one coach told me he likes fat and slow ***** on his ****** read and react zone defense, He'll get my player to the NFL quick!'

Literally you are taking the coaches not talking to you as them being terrible recruiters because UCF did. ....Either do what is best for the players you coach and try to send them to the best school to get the best coaching and academics they can that fits what they are looking for or their talent fits, in which case Miami >>>>>> UCF, or don't and be just like every other ****** coach, sending your players to ****** schools because you are friends with the coaches there or because they showed you more attention and tricked you into believing they're great people who are defensive geniuses...boo hoo macho isn't feeling the love..

Lastly why the **** are we still posting in a thread about Knighton. Idgaf how much Macho thinks of himself us showing the coaches love isn't going to get us knighton.

You befriend the kid's fvckin' barber if it means it'll give you a chance to gain respect with the kid.

Unfortunately
tenor.gif

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back