Knighton Excited for UTOUGH

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami commit OL Hunter Knighton is one of four early enrollees coming in this week along with Alex Figueroa, Beau Sandland, and Sonny Odogwu. Knighton is ready to get on campus and get the ball rolling.

"First and foremost, I'm just excited to get down there finally. It's the culmination of the entire process and I'm ready to finally become a part of the team."

While he doesn't officially have to be here until Thursday, Knighton's trek from New Jersey will begin tomorrow.

"I'm flying down tomorrow because my grandparents actually live in Fort Myers so we're staying there for a day and then driving down on Wednesday and then I have orientation on Thursday."

While most players don't look forward to the UTOUGH workouts, it's something that Knighton sees as a positive.

"I've heard about it. Everyone says it hard, but if you're not working hard then you're not going to win so I'm happy we have it."

Art Kehoe is one of the main reasons why Knighton choose Miami. He expanded on why that was the case.

"He was a big factor in my commitment to Miami. I love the intensity he brings and he's a legend so I respect everything he has to say."

Knighton plays both ways in high school, on both the offensive and defensive lines. At 6'5", 265, it is still a possibility he could play on the defensive side of the ball at Miami.

"Coach Golden said throughout the process that if something changes then we'll go from there, but I'm going on campus as an offensive lineman and my goal is to make it work there. If not, then I'll gladly switch."

What spot on the offensive line is he most comfortable with?

"I worked a lot at right tackled and that's what I think I project at here."

He has been in contact with a few of Miami's commits and is looking forward to seeing them in the near future.

"The first real contact I had with anyone was really Jeremy Kerr, who was on my visit. He was a big factor for me, just getting to know him he made me feel comfortable. I also talk a lot with Alex Gall and Kevin Olsen. They're both coming down on the 18th so we're excited."

With the commitment of Alquadin Muhammad on Saturday, it's obvious that Miami is making waves in New Jersey. Knighton credits the Canes' success in Jersey to the ties of the coaching staff.

"Coach Golden and Coach Fisch are both New Jersey and a lot of the staff has New Jersey connections so that really helps. They know the area really well so that's why they've been successful."

Knighton was impressed with Muhammad when he saw him play.

"I watched him a little bit in the Army All-American game and I think he's a **** of a player obviously. I'm excited to try to block him in practice because it will be a big challenge."

Last edited:
Advertisement
excited for hard work and great competition .... It is usually hard to bust with that mindset

MOAR.

Great stuff. Love the attitude of the kids we have coming in. You can see a consistency of mindset with this year's and last year's classes. Think Golden may just know how to pick 'em.

Thanks, Pete.

Advertisement
Thanks Pete. Golden is building a great culture by recruiting young men who possess an excellent work ethic unlike past regimes.

This is how you become a true Cane young Skywalker...steel sharpens steel.

"I watched him a little bit in the Army All-American game and I think he's a **** of a player obviously. I'm excited to try to block him in practice because it will be a big challenge."

Why do I get the feeling this guy will get a quick look at RT, redshirt, but end up along the DLine and specifically at Tackle?

Advertisement
Crazy to be excited for Utough...but a little craziness is good on the gridiron

Can't say I could ever be excited for something like that, but that attitude is what sets these guys apart. Need guys like him and Gall in the trenches.

Man, I love this ******* team.

Advertisement
Why do I get the feeling this guy will get a quick look at RT, redshirt, but end up along the DLine and specifically at Tackle?

I get the same feeling. I just think he could be more valuable there

I think we're going to see a shakeout of those 13495 DTs we've collected over the past couple years. Ivery, Moore, Grimble, Briscoe, King, etc. Fight to the death and loser leaves town.

Whats the deal with jeremy Kerr? I know next to nothing about the kid. He's going to be an O lineman right???

Advertisement

Looking at his frame I was thinking DE. He's pretty skinny.

If I were running a program, I'd over-recruit that size range on a HS athlete. I'd throw numbers at the overgrown TE/DE position and see which of them become OTackles, OGuards, DTs and stack Ends. If you can find a TE with great feet, room for growth, aggressive and long arms, you're looking at a potential DT.

If I were running a program, I'd over-recruit that size range on a HS athlete. I'd throw numbers at the overgrown TE/DE position and see which of them become OTackles, OGuards, DTs and stack Ends. If you can find a TE with great feet, room for growth, aggressive and long arms, you're looking at a potential DT.

Knighton and Kerr seem to fit that mold.

Knighton and Kerr seem to fit that mold.

Pretty much. Preferably they'd be slightly more athletic, though.

Advertisement
Back