KISS Principle - Keep it Simple Stupid

rsa coral gables

Malentendido
Premium
Read Bruce Feldman's article this morning regarding the value of adding Lashlee and Justice to the coaching staff and the resulting but not surprising productivity of the offense. Among the many things that resonated, is the fact that the offense keeps it simple. It is fantastic read. Here are two great quotes:

"Essentially, Miami now has four base run plays — the inside zone, the power, the counter and the outside zone. "

During the fourth scrimmage in March and just before the COVID shutdown, they saw the potential of the offense when it dominated the defense. Leading up to and at that scrimmage, they ". . . ran two run plays, two pass plays, one screen and two protections for four days."

Advertisement
Read Bruce Feldman's article this morning regarding the value of adding Lashlee and Justice to the coaching staff and the resulting but not surprising productivity of the offense. Among the many things that resonated, is the fact that the offense keeps it simple. It is fantastic read. Here are two great quotes:

"Essentially, Miami now has four base run plays — the inside zone, the power, the counter and the outside zone. "

During the fourth scrimmage in March and just before the COVID shutdown, they saw the potential of the offense when it dominated the defense. Leading up to and at that scrimmage, they ". . . ran two run plays, two pass plays, one screen and two protections for four days."

Great article, but behind a pay wall, some wont be able to read.. Best article on offense and of course not from anyone who has covered canes fulltime down here.. this article actually deserves its own thread..

My favorite parts:

Then came Justice, who had been UNLV’s offensive coordinator and line coach after stints working as Lane Kiffin’s offensive line coach at FAU and as a Division II head coach at West Virginia’s Concord University.

Gaynor said the biggest changes the new offensive staff has made is simplifying the system, cutting down the number of plays in the offensive package and ramping up the tempo. “Coach Justice is the type of coach that just makes you want to work harder for him,” he said, “because he’s just such a good guy, and such a really great leader for us.”

Justice was a big reason why Houston grad transfer Jarrid Williams picked the Hurricanes over USC, Baylor, Florida State and Ole Miss. Combined with the coaching turnover that Houston has had in recent years, Justice is actually Williams’ sixth offensive line coach in college. And though the 6-6, 308-pound Williams never got a chance to visit Miami’s campus in the recruiting process, he felt a strong connection with Justice and was struck by how technically sound the coach came across in their conversations over Zoom.

“When I got here, I was just praying that it was the same way,” Williams said, “and it has been.”

When Diaz hired Lashlee, one of the points of emphasis was to simplify the Hurricanes’ offensive system to allow their offense to play faster, which would also align with the temperament of their attacking, aggressive-style defense. Essentially, Miami now has four base run plays — the inside zone, the power, the counter and the outside zone. Both Lashlee (from Auburn) and Justice (from West Virginia), have deep roots in running inside zone. Justice also has a lot of experience utilizing the outside zone, something Lashlee said that Auburn didn’t do much of in his time with Tigers.

“I think as a coach coming in on Sunday, after you finish playing a Saturday game, you very rarely look back on it and say, ‘Man, they were just all over every play we had,’” Justice said. “It’s more, we had a communication breakdown or someone fundamentally was bad. We never say, man, we shoulda ran more plays.

Scheme matters to the offensive line in terms of what those people are being asked to do because there’s been some offensive lines that have had some outstanding performances and some schools have had some outstanding performances throughout the years without necessarily having outstanding players.
This quote here is what many have talked about for years, forcing pro style that requires elite players at every position when teams with lesser talent can get more production out of offense much easier..

Great article, but behind a pay wall, some wont be able to read.. Best article on offense and of course not from anyone who has covered canes fulltime down here.. this article actually deserves its own thread..

My favorite parts:

This quote here is what many have talked about for years, forcing pro style that requires elite players at every position when teams with lesser talent can get more production out of offense much easier..
Everyone on this board knew that Enos was putting the OL in a position to fail with the slow-developing plays. Same with Richt. There's a reason we have so many OLmen in the league, but our units as a whole have stunk for years.

With the athletes at DE all over CFB, the game has changed. Gotta get the ball out fast, unless you have a Bama OL. We've seen it first hand... our attacking DL gets neutralized whenever we face a team that gets the ball out fast.

Side note: SMU was one of my favorite teams to watch last year. They always had WRs streaking wide open for long TDs. Then we got Lashlee so I liked them even more. Reggie Roberson got hurt last week. It looked bad, and Dykes confirmed it could be a long term injury. Looked like something with the knee. Feel for the kid, he was gonna be a player at the next level. Hope he makes a full recovery.

What I posted back in January.

Lashlee is a Malzahn disciple, which means he keeps it simple.

Theres a great story Malzahn tells about when he first started coaching in Arkansas. He met this High School coaching legend in the state and was going on about how many plays and formations were in his playbook. The legend told Malzahn to pick 6 plays and run those plays to perfection and he would excel. That's been his philosophy ever since.

Obviously he has more than 6 plays, but hes not a fan of the complex. Neither is Lashlee.

Remember, this guy almost won a NC w a converted Qb taking snaps for him.

I wouldnt worry about the freshmen picking up the offense.

Advertisement
Great article. We love Feldman and he loves the Canes. Read his book about the U if you haven’t already

Advertisement
Back