Kirk Herbstreit Polygraph Results

Earnest T. Bass

Sophomore
Kirk Herbstreit has been associated with College Game Day for over 20 years and in that time I have never heard him utter one undeserved negative comment concerning UM. Yes, I used the word “undeserved” just to be on the safe side as I don’t recall him making any negative comments about the “U”.

He certainly “factually” commented on the Shapiro matter. Yet, unlike the Holtz’s, May’s, Golic’s, et al., of the ESPN world and countless other media outlets he never called for the program to be shutdown.

Herbstreit is closer to being a UM homer than being a critic. If there were a couple of more Herbstreit’s out there campaigning for the Canes we would be vying for #1 recruiting class’s year in and year out.

As a longtime member in good standing of the “Stick It Up Your Colon Ohio State Club” I can’t help but appreciate Herbstreit’s loyalty to the Buckeyes as his father was a co-captain, played for Woody Hayes and coached for the man. Thus, Kirk was brought up on Ohio State football and not only played for them, but was also a team captain. So, it might not be a terribly bad idea to give the man a little shelter regarding his loyalty to the Buckeyes.

Recognizing that some feel the need to hate everyone and everything I am not endeavoring to change human nature, but would request that those UM’ers who bash Kirk reallocate their hate to some other worthy candidate.

Advertisement
While I mostly agree with you, we just beat this horse to a bloody pulp in another thread.

Regardless of what I do or don't think of Herbstreit, I just can't believe that of all the jackass CFB personalities, he is the one that stands out to some of you. He ain't UM enemy 1, 2, 3, 44, 55 or 100. And yes, I am aware he was rooting for them to win the 2002 MNC.

Regardless of what I do or don't think of Herbstreit, I just can't believe that of all the jackass CFB personalities, he is the one that stands out to some of you. He ain't UM enemy 1, 2, 3, 44, 55 or 100. And yes, I am aware he was rooting for them to win the 2002 MNC.

nothing wrong with rooting for your alma mater. He wasn't calling the game on TV.. he was on the sideline.

Advertisement
Kirk Herbstreit has been associated with College Game Day for over 20 years and in that time I have never heard him utter one undeserved negative comment concerning UM. Yes, I used the word “undeserved” just to be on the safe side as I don’t recall him making any negative comments about the “U”.

He certainly “factually” commented on the Shapiro matter. Yet, unlike the Holtz’s, May’s, Golic’s, et al., of the ESPN world and countless other media outlets he never called for the program to be shutdown.

Herbstreit is closer to being a UM homer than being a critic. If there were a couple of more Herbstreit’s out there campaigning for the Canes we would be vying for #1 recruiting class’s year in and year out.

As a longtime member in good standing of the “Stick It Up Your Colon Ohio State Club” I can’t help but appreciate Herbstreit’s loyalty to the Buckeyes as his father was a co-captain, played for Woody Hayes and coached for the man. Thus, Kirk was brought up on Ohio State football and not only played for them, but was also a team captain. So, it might not be a terribly bad idea to give the man a little shelter regarding his loyalty to the Buckeyes.

Recognizing that some feel the need to hate everyone and everything I am not endeavoring to change human nature, but would request that those UM’ers who bash Kirk reallocate their hate to some other worthy candidate.

Ahh, it's Brokeback Herbstreit again. You guys must love his ***.

I suggest you open your ears and learn to read between the lines, Bassamatic:

As usual, the Herbie/OSU fans will say he "loves Miami" but give no proof. Lets examine the "love."

“They're lucky to have Al Golden as a head coach."

Note, he said this November 2014, after the Cincy road banner flew. Any CFB analyst worth a s#!+ knew Golden was in over his head and we fans who wanted him fired were “ridiculous’’ according to Kirky. Yep, keep the 'Canes down for Urbie.

Let's not forget his numerous nationally broadcast mentions of Miami 's "decrepit" facilities (heard any revision there?)

"Oh yeah," you say, "he was telling the truth!" No, he was strengthening his boy Urbie's hand, because OSUck is a giant state school that will build whatever is needed with school funds:
Ohio State trustees OK $7.8 million for Woody Hayes Athletic Center upgrades - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Will the Athletic Department come back with the funds to re-imburse? Probably, but look a the flexibility to spend.

By contrast, there is no Miami Hurricanes football without the University of Miami and it's a small school with no taxpayer-backed flexibility...Look at the IPF fiasco for proof. Herbie has known this and he backs up O$Ucks sales pitches to So Fla recruits by constantly talking about it.

He has also highlighted our failure to pay coaches (anything revised mentioning Mark Richt's salary? Coach Kool's?) and our stadium not being the right one for a "college atmosphere," but no mention of the upgrades. Again, reinforcing the O$UCK recruiting pitch.

I have given actual qoutes you can verify by just checking a few sources...You give unverified anecdotal observations.

The inability to recognize when someone is working you over is quite pitiful. I sure hope your kids (if you have any) are rejecting or have already rejected your spinelessness.

As usual, the Herbie/OSU fans will say he "loves Miami" but give no proof. Lets examine the "love."

Note, he said this November 2014, after the Cincy road banner flew. Any CFB analyst worth a s#!+ knew Golden was in over his head and we fans who wanted him fired were “ridiculous’’ according to Kirky. Yep, keep the 'Canes down for Urbie.

Let's not forget his numerous nationally broadcast mentions of Miami 's "decrepit" facilities (heard any revision there?)

"Oh yeah," you say, "he was telling the truth!" No, he was strengthening his boy Urbie's hand, because OSUck is a giant state school that will build whatever is needed with school funds:
Ohio State trustees OK $7.8 million for Woody Hayes Athletic Center upgrades - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Will the Athletic Department come back with the funds to re-imburse? Probably, but look a the flexibility to spend.

By contrast, there is no Miami Hurricanes football without the University of Miami and it's a small school with no taxpayer-backed flexibility...Look at the IPF fiasco for proof. Herbie has known this and he backs up O$Ucks sales pitches to So Fla recruits by constantly talking about it.

He has also highlighted our failure to pay coaches (anything revised mentioning Mark Richt's salary? Coach Kool's?) and our stadium not being the right one for a "college atmosphere," but no mention of the upgrades. Again, reinforcing the O$UCK recruiting pitch.

I have given actual qoutes you can verify by just checking a few sources...You give unverified anecdotal observations.

The inability to recognize when someone is working you over is quite pitiful. I sure hope your kids (if you have any) are rejecting or have already rejected your spinelessness.
Becuase the banner was ridiculous. Banners didn't get golden fired, dabo did

All the banners did was embarrass the team and deter potential head coaches from wanting the gig. Thank God that's all in the past and we have richt now

Kirk is the man and easily the most unbiased espn head he even calls Ohio state games with extreme unbias. That's crazy when you think about one of us trying to call a Miami game
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All the banners did was embarrass the team and deter potential head coaches from wanting the gig. Thank God that's all in the past and we have richt now

Kirk is the man and easily the most unbiased espn head he even calls Ohio state games with extreme unbias. That's crazy when you think about one of us trying to call a Miami game

Negative, Ghost Rider.

The banners as you suggest - were an embarrassment - to the dumbasses that hired Golden - and to Golden himself. Week after week, embarrassment after embarrassment - both home and away - the banners chased Golden wherever he went.

Everyone was raising Hades about the banners, and it garnered national attention - unwanted attention - to the school administration.

It wasn't "a" banner, it was a constant onslaught - pointing out the obvious.

So when Dabo whipped up on us, that was just the final nail in the coffin.

That's what happened. Golden was gone - the administration just had reason to move it up before season's end once Golden crapped his nest playing Clemson.

Anyone hating on the banner isn't a real fan of Miami.

Advertisement

herby urban.jpg
21Eiqck.jpg

Who cares! I prefer everyone hating us. I remember the ancient ex-nole on that show picked us against his own team way back because we had never lost to a #1 ranked team and did not that day either. I still didn't like Corso any better after he pick us than I did before that day. Let us pound OSU a couple times in the next few years and Herb will come around to hating us.

Well, the normal suspects showed up throwing hysterical temper tantrums due to the mere mention of Herbstreit. As usual, not terribly enlightening, certainly not terribly bright, but credit must be given for their grade school hating.

Like it or not girls, Herbstreit has been a promoter of the "U" and that is a huge positive due to his nationwide platform and the respect that most all of college football has for the man. That respect also bleeds down to high school coaches and players.

Since I was a kid I always believed that the Gators fan base was a confederacy of dunces, completely ignorant about college football and had no backbones, but sadly, when reading some the posts on this site I worry that their is a segment of posters who would give Gator fans a run for their money.

How much better of a head coach do you think we get if there is no banner? Meyer? Saban?

Advertisement
Us fans are weird folk. If a talking head isn’t rah rah pro-UM we hate him. If that talking head doesn’t want us to win NC’s left and right (like we fans do)...that commentator hates um.

May, Holtz, and others certainly do hate um, sure. But Herbie and some others typically offer unbiased opinions. Palmer and Des usually offer insights into their alma matars rivals too (o$u and f$u).

How soon people forget Herbie picked us many many times under Shannon only to be constantly proved wrong. He doesn’t hate us. He doesn’t love us. He usually offers his honest take on a school ...whether that be pro or con.

Some people just entirely lack perspective and a sense of proportion. To scrutinize an ex OSU QB and ESPN commentator for purity and allegiance to UM and then hate on him when you find a flaw is ridiculous. The fact is he's been very fair to Miami over the years and stands out starkly from the chorus of haters that fill the media. If you can't at least somewhat appreciate that, you're just looking for an excuse to be a b¡tch.

How much better of a head coach do you think we get if there is no banner? Meyer? Saban?

IMO they don't come better than Mark Richt, which I believe will be proven over the next several seasons.

Yet, the reality is; had Richt not been available and had the past history with the "U" those coaches who would have had real interest would have been reed thin and not very impressive.

The banner planes were mental *********ion and in no way impacted the thinking or actions of the UM administration and/or Board of Trustees. Those flights made some feel as though they were killing Al Golden, but the reality is they gave our direct competitors ammunition to use against us in recruiting, because very few highly rated kids and their family's want to enter a program in turmoil.

And yes, quality coaches see that nonsense and conclude that life is too short to endure a fan base that has convinced itself that they are calling the shots concerning, in this case, UM's football program (see Butch Davis and his wife).

Advertisement

IMO they don't come better than Mark Richt, which I believe will be proven over the next several seasons.

Yet, the reality is; had Richt not been available and had the past history with the "U" those coaches who would have had real interest would have been reed thin and not very impressive.

The banner planes were mental *********ion and in no way impacted the thinking or actions of the UM administration and/or Board of Trustees. Those flights made some feel as though they were killing Al Golden, but the reality is they gave our direct competitors ammunition to use against us in recruiting, because very few highly rated kids and their family's want to enter a program in turmoil.

And yes, quality coaches see that nonsense and conclude that life is too short to endure a fan base that has convinced itself that they are calling the shots concerning, in this case, UM's football program (see Butch Davis and his wife).
There is a good chance that bold part is right. We also don't really know until we offer a competitive salary. Golden was making money outside the top 30 coaches, which coupled with the things you pointed out definitely shrinks the candidate pool if the assumption was that our budget in that area would continue as it was.

But any coach worth his salt knows how valuable the non-banner related aspects of Miami are to building his legacy of a champion. Going from 2.5 mil to 4+ mil (we think) makes a huge difference in the volume of those detracting factors. We weren't going to pull a top 5 paid coach from an established job, obviously. But we would have been in great position to grab a high level coordinator looking to move up or a lower conference head coach just as our ACC cohorts did if the same amount of money was available to any candidate beside Richt.

There is a good chance that bold part is right. We also don't really know until we offer a competitive salary. Golden was making money outside the top 30 coaches, which coupled with the things you pointed out definitely shrinks the candidate pool if the assumption was that our budget in that area would continue as it was.

But any coach worth his salt knows how valuable the non-banner related aspects of Miami are to building his legacy of a champion. Going from 2.5 mil to 4+ mil (we think) makes a huge difference in the volume of those detracting factors. We weren't going to pull a top 5 paid coach from an established job, obviously. But we would have been in great position to grab a high level coordinator looking to move up or a lower conference head coach just as our ACC cohorts did if the same amount of money was available to any candidate beside Richt.

You make interesting and valid points.

The compensation issue certainly was an imposing hurdle, but the Richt hiring lends some credence to the idea that had the right name appeared on the caller ID the money would have been made available. One thing we know for sure--had another name coach been prowling around his agent wouldn't have been shy about compensation demands.

Seeing an "immediate" return when hiring a top-flight coordinator might have been problematic from a recruiting perspective due to the coaches currently surrounding the "U" such as; Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong, Butch Davis, Lane Kiffin and to a lesser degree, Jim McElwain, along with a laundry list of formidable out of state poachers. Also, with the Shapiro matter being not a so distant memory and the ugly coaching changes beginning with Coker recruiting quality and proven assistant coaches "may" have been challenging. Then again...

Why the fck is it suddenly so important to talk about how much this guy does/doesn't like us? Are we now a bunch of 13 yo girls?

Advertisement
Back