"Kirby does a good job of manipulating their thoughts" - Herbie

Silver King

Pass Block
He was talking about Smart putting a chip on his team's shoulder to stay focused during the NC game last night.

Last week there was some discussion about coaching and manipulation on the Deion and Pope thread, and I would have posted this there, but it has since been closed. I understand, given the subjects, that it created some hostility. Maybe it was semantics and use of the term. Manipulation, on the other hand, is a huge part of a coach's ars,enal; it's what they do, not some of it, but all of it. Saying manipulation isn't part of coaching, is like saying pyschology isn't. Coaches begin the manipulation process during the recruiting process. "You take that visit, and we pull the offer." They manipulate referees during a game.

Dwight Eishenhower said; "Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." Manipulation is part of that process.

"Good coaching is the effective manipulation of task constraints, not just telling athletes how to perform." From an article by Andy Driska, Ph. D.

Advertisement
As an actual leader of men/women…leading them into something that could possibly kill them. Leadership isn’t the manipulation of thought. You have to be somebody they want to follow which comes from a high level of trust.

That “manipulation“ **** sounds like it was written by dudes who sit at desks, delegate, and try to call that leadership.

Last edited:
JJ was the best at this according to many. And you don’t have to manipulate thought you just have to get guys to believe and to fight for the guy next to you. The thought of not letting the guy next to you down

As an actual leader of men/women…leading them into something that could possibly kill them. Leadership isn’t the manipulation of thought. You have to be somebody they want to follow which comes from a high level of trust.

That “manipulation“ **** sounds like it was written by dudes who sit at desks, delegate, and try to call that leadership.
So no manipulation involved when a Sgt points at two in a squad and tells them to charge a bunker? That manipulation began in basic training. Again, maybe a poor term that people are applying for diffent parts of leadership, but it is involved.

Advertisement
He was talking about Smart putting a chip on his team's shoulder to stay focused during the NC game last night.

Last week there was some discussion about coaching and manipulation on the Deion and Pope thread, and I would have posted this there, but it has since been closed. I understand, given the subjects, that it created some hostility. Maybe it was semantics and use of the term. Manipulation, on the other hand, is a huge part of a coach's ars,enal; it's what they do, not some of it, but all of it. Saying manipulation isn't part of coaching, is like saying pyschology isn't. Coaches begin the manipulation process during the recruiting process. "You take that visit, and we pull the offer." They manipulate referees during a game.

Dwight Eishenhower said; "Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." Manipulation is part of that process.

"Good coaching is the effective manipulation of task constraints, not just telling athletes how to perform." From an article by Andy Driska, Ph. D.
Cut that bs out he has the best roster lol it's that simple. Dude said it himself week 1 man. They try to make everything an anime like it's more than what it is. It's win your 1 on 1 battles vs the guy in front of u, it's that simple.

So no manipulation involved when a Sgt points at two in a squad and tells them to charge a bunker? That manipulation began in basic training. Again, maybe a poor term that people are applying for diffent parts of leadership, but it is involved.
No. Every one carries the same risk and in my industry every one is assigned a specific job rather it’s the nozzle guy, rescue, roof, etc. You don’t do your job then everybody else’s job becomes harder or somebody dies. If I turn to you and yell “Johnson I need that roof open” Johnson isn’t going to think twice if he trusts me.

Sometimes I’ll even ask what do they think depending on what exactly we’re doing.

Last edited:
I think...just guessing tho...OP meant to say "influence" vs "manipulation".
Imo every great leader understands and utilizes the art of influence.

Advertisement
No. Every one carries the same risk and in my industry every one is assigned a specific job rather it’s the nozzle guy, rescue, roof, etc. You don’t do your job then everybody else’s job becomes harder or somebody dies. If I turn to you and yell “Johnson I need that roof open” Johnson isn’t going to think twice if he trusts me.

Sometimes I’ll even ask what do they think depending on what exactly we’re doing.
OK, one son's a FF/PM, so I understand that - it may have been a bad/ improper term as it was used in the first post, but that's the context I was addressing.

Advertisement

Jimmy Johnson was a Master.

Started Thursday nights during game season.

Jimmy's teams were always (almost) loose. I see Mario's teams this past season wrapped a bit too tightly. Great teams when a play is developing badly have the quick ability to improvise. We couldn't improvise rearranging Gatorade cups in the wire tote.

Best thing that happened to UGA was almost crapping the bed against OSU.
Michigan should be thankful they lost to TCU they would of gotten bodied. When UGA plays full potential they beat anybody. Possibly even next year to, might be looking at a three peat

Advertisement
Thawts an prayers to TCWho on dat curb stompin dey sufferd Monday nite. Dam Dawgs, git off em.

Cut that bs out he has the best roster lol it's that simple. Dude said it himself week 1 man. They try to make everything an anime like it's more than what it is. It's win your 1 on 1 battles vs the guy in front of u, it's that simple.
We had the better squad against MTSU, Duke, Pitt etc

We had the better squad against MTSU, Duke, Pitt etc
I'll agree with DJ Williams on MTSU. He said they had a wr that was better than our guys lined up against him. That's player matchups we had no one to guard a dude to go in a straight line. I refuse to believe all of a sudden Steele can't coach D. Everyone said off season we finally had coaches which was true but we didn't have the players. Weaknesses all over the roster that ordinary teams can take advantage of. Just see me in three seasons when the roster is stacked. I'll be accepting apologies from a lot of y'all. If y'all ever seen a power house build from scratch throughout cfb, this is how it's done. Bama lost to scrubs with genius God Nick Saban was it L Monroe?

I'm assuming fans complained and said they had more talent like morons.

Advertisement
Back