King working to get on same page as WR's ahead of UVA

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Heading into this week’s matchup vs. Virginia, a big focus of practice this week according to Miami Hurricanes QB D’Eriq King has been staying out of third and long situations and creating more third and short opportunities for the offense to more easily extend drives.

“Staying out of third and longs is huge for us,” King said. “If you get four yards on first down, you make second down easier. I can’t take sacks, have to get the ball out, let everyone make plays.”

Much has been made about King’s lack of connection with the wide receivers through Miami’s first 5 games, and King says he continues to work hard to get on the same page as his WR’s.

“We have to start connecting on those - the deep ball, we have to start hitting those,” King said. “We have to keep throwing them, trusting the guys and they trust me and we’ll make plays. I think it’ll come pretty soon.”

By opening up all three WR’s spots on the depth chart this week, the Miami staff has put the receivers on notice, and King says UM is giving a variety of receivers longer looks this week in practice.

“I think it's going good. A lot of guys are getting reps, so that’s always good,” King said. “The way I look at it is anybody can lose their job. I’m not safe, nobody’s safe. You try to play well. The wide receivers have done a great job this week. Everyone has to continue to get better. Ultimately, competition will push everybody.”

Miami stays at home this week to take on UVA, and King gave his take on the upcoming matchup vs. the Cavaliers.

“I just have to get the ball out, know where my throws are at, know what I’m trying to do,” King said. “They have a pretty good defense, real long and athletic, can make plays in space. We have to take what they give us.”

While Virginia’s defense has struggled at times and is allowing over 34 ppg and 400 ypg in 2020, the Cavaliers defensive front is known for their length, something that gave King problems last week when throwing the ball vs. Pitt, including on his first interception that was tipped at the line.

“I can’t try to throw through people,” King said. “I just can’t let the ball be tipped.”

With the Canes at 4-1 through their first 5 games, King is upbeat when talking about his outlook for the rest of the season.

“I think the team has a good feel right now,” King said. “We’ve lost one game, but staying together is the most important thing for us. Stay together. There will be mistakes in the game. If we keep coming to the building and having the right attitude, things will be corrected. The season, it’s going pretty good. We have a lot to improve on. Now it’s a new game, new opponent, starting all over again.”

King has given a boost to Miami’s ground game by being the team’s second leading rusher through 5 games (273 yards rushing), and that has helped lead to more explosive plays in the passing game with opposing defenses so focused on stopping the QB run.

“(The threat of the QB run) is very important,” King said. “Any time we play anybody, everybody is worried about me running so much that any time I take a couple of steps, the linebacker and everyone gets sucked up and (the receivers) get behind them, a lot of them are touchdowns. Coach (Rhett) Lashlee has drawn up great plays on offense.”

Advertisement
#BeatUVA
That's all I've got. Keep the Ws coming and everything else will fix itself. I'm going to say this, if we run the reg season table and go 10-1, AND King declares that he's returning for 2021, WE WILL pull a 5* star WR for the 2021 class. I cannot see those two things happening and a kid like JBrooks not giving us another look

Advertisement
I wanna see dunson more.. Harris needs to work on his rb vision. and Pope needs to hit the buffet proteins asap. Pitt game Mallory was open alot and king needs to take advantage of that and stop staring down his recievers a bit to often

Linebackers and corner liability ain't even funny.. and what the **** do #53 be looking at out there he got that NODono teaching smdh

Advertisement
#BeatUVA
That's all I've got. Keep the Ws coming and everything else will fix itself. I'm going to say this, if we run the reg season table and go 10-1, AND King declares that he's returning for 2021, WE WILL pull a 5* star WR for the 2021 class. I cannot see those two things happening and a kid like JBrooks not giving us another look
Brooks might give us another look. But then he'll look at Bama and how theyve produced ooodles of 1st round picks at WR and of course there's always bags....
I'm good with what weve got at WR... we just need to pound through respectable seasons for 4 or 5 years and keep recruiting top notch 4* guys.

I wanna see dunson more.. Harris needs to work on his rb vision. and Pope needs to hit the buffet proteins asap. Pitt game Mallory was open alot and king needs to take advantage of that and stop staring down his recievers a bit to often
They don't want to hear that last sentence lol

Advertisement
I wonder if his height has anything to do with not throwing over the middle?

Honestly I'm ******* clueless....just throwing it out there.

It’s mostly Lashlee’s offense. Perimeter ori

Richt and Enos did the same thing. The short routes are basically check downs after reading deep.

Coaches don’t like the middle because it can be crowded. The problem I see is their play designs put receivers all over the place and try to stress too much of the field when VERY few quarterbacks can actually read the entire field.

Throwing the middle is safer when you stress smaller parts of the field.The right route combinations create 2 on 1 opportunities and force defenders to choose a receiver. With man you just force defenders to chase guys laterally.

What you don’t want is to send lone routes where multiple defenders can read your quarterback and jump routes.

It’s a combination of fear and greed that makes coaches avoid it which sucks because over the years we have gotten HUGE PLAYS over the middle and we refuse to properly utilize it.

#BeatUVA
Absolutely. I pray for that exact thing to happen!

Advertisement
If the primary read is to a certain direction we should maybe start cutting the Dline in that direction

move the pocket and get some crossing routes

And for Christ’s sake get a check down available instead of all out streaks

More drags, slants, and crosses. Or are drags the same thing as crosses?? But more easy **** over the middle!!!
drags are basically meshes which are crossers but under 5 yards. so it depends on the depth of the route run for what it would be called. But yes OC hasn't put the WR in position to do what they do well. Pope needs to slide inside to slot 20 snaps a game move him around get him off press man on the outside every play! he weigh 172 ILBS he not built for that

Advertisement
Back