King talks offensive performance in first scrimmage

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After Tuesday’s drills, Miami Hurricanes QB D’Eriq King took to the podium to discuss the team’s weekend performance in the scrimmage.

“I think it was a good scrimmage,” King said. “We have to be more consistent, always doing the right things. Guys doing the right things in plays gives us a chance to be good.”

King’s weapons seemed to be both plentiful and productive, as RB’s Jaylan Knighton and Don Chaney, plus receivers Mike Harley, Xavier Restrepo, and Will Mallory, all found the endzone on Sunday.

“The way we were moving the ball - everyone was clicking,” King said. “I had a real good feel out there. As far as receivers, I feel me and Mike Harley have a really good connection, he made a lot of players. (Dee) Wiggins and (Mark) Pope, Xavier, Mike Redding - a lot of big plays were made.”

King is known for making plays with his legs, racking up 1,421 yards and 28 TD’s rushing while at Houston, but he feels some overlook his ability to sling the rock through the air.

“A lot of times, guys look at a quarterback like myself as a runner,” King said. “I don’t think I’m just running. I’m a quarterback that can throw.”

OC Rhett Lashlee brings his spread system to Miami in 2020, an offense King feels right at home in.

“He’s a great offensive coordinator, calls great plays,” King said of Lashlee. “The tempo on the offense helps us as well. We get the ball out really quick, simple reads, take shots downfield quick, and we have a great running attack too.”

Speaking on the offensive line, King feels the group has made strides in the past few months and had a strong performance in the scrimmage.

“The offensive line did a great job, this whole camp they’ve been doing really, really good,” King said. “We have a lot of depth on our offensive line. A lot of young guys that played last year are doing way better. I think they had a really, really good scrimmage.”

Advertisement
Thank you Stefan for your good work.We finally have a QB who has the talent ,coaching ,and intangibles to take Cane nation to the promise land.
He will have to be better than 58% for Miami to go to the promise land! The good, great and elite QB's in college football in this offensive era the last 4 or more years are 60% higher. Baker Mayfield was 73% his Junior Year the year he won the Heisman and 71% his Senior year.

Advertisement
What's it say about our defense when a brand new offense, with a bunch of brand new players, is able to have their way with us? The whole offense likely isn't even installed yet and the defense is on like year 34. It's a good thing we don't play against Lashlee.

Judging by the stats, there were a lot of big plays as well as a high YPC (carry & catch) average. The offense was taking chunks out of our defense, which is no surprise considering what we've seen any decent spread OC due to our defense over the last few years.

I feel like the defense should be ahead of the offense right now.

Maybe it's hyperbole on my part and I'm just jumping to conclusions. Y'all think I'm trippin?

What's it say about our defense when a brand new offense, with a bunch of brand new players, is able to have their way with us? The whole offense likely isn't even installed yet and the defense is on like year 34. It's a good thing we don't play against Lashlee.

Judging by the stats, there were a lot of big plays as well as a high YPC (carry & catch) average. The offense was taking chunks out of our defense, which is no surprise considering what we've seen any decent spread OC due to our defense over the last few years.

Maybe it's hyperbole on my part and I'm just jumping to conclusions. Y'all think I'm trippin?
Given that we know a some key players on DL were sitting and we don't know the situations re: the numbers, you may be. Kinda hard to make judgments in a vacuum either way.

Nah, legit take. Manny's D should be ahead as it's an old system, even with guys out. Games could be a shoot out.

Advertisement
After Tuesday’s drills, Miami Hurricanes QB D’Eriq King took to the podium to discuss the team’s weekend performance in the scrimmage.

“I think it was a good scrimmage,” King said. “We have to be more consistent, always doing the right things. Guys doing the right things in plays gives us a chance to be good.”

King’s weapons seemed to be both plentiful and productive, as RB’s Jaylan Knighton and Don Chaney, plus receivers Mike Harley, Xavier Restrepo, and Will Mallory, all found the endzone on Sunday.

“The way we were moving the ball - everyone was clicking,” King said. “I had a real good feel out there. As far as receivers, I feel me and Mike Harley have a really good connection, he made a lot of players. (Dee) Wiggins and (Mark) Pope, Xavier, Mike Redding - a lot of big plays were made.”

King is known for making plays with his legs, racking up 1,421 yards and 28 TD’s rushing while at Houston, but he feels some overlook his ability to sling the rock through the air.

“A lot of times, guys look at a quarterback like myself as a runner,” King said. “I don’t think I’m just running. I’m a quarterback that can throw.”

OC Rhett Lashlee brings his spread system to Miami in 2020, an offense King feels right at home in.

“He’s a great offensive coordinator, calls great plays,” King said of Lashlee. “The tempo on the offense helps us as well. We get the ball out really quick, simple reads, take shots downfield quick, and we have a great running attack too.”

Speaking on the offensive line, King feels the group has made strides in the past few months and had a strong performance in the scrimmage.

“The offensive line did a great job, this whole camp they’ve been doing really, really good,” King said. “We have a lot of depth on our offensive line. A lot of young guys that played last year are doing way better. I think they had a really, really good scrimmage.”
Can we just put king in bubble wrap until the opener

I aint saying we winning the ship but I remember last year LSU defense dominated the spring game but burrow was out, the next scrimmage he played in he had numbers comparable to kings this scrimmage.

a little.

King is a big deal; any other QB doesn't necessarily pull it all together like that. The tempo, quick reads and OL improvement can't be overlooked either. Credit to Manny for making some strong decisions on offense.

I think the D will fine but it's generally limited by Baker. He seems too low energy and passive on downs when he should be aggressive. Bend but don't break defense.

a little.

King is a big deal; any other QB doesn't necessarily pull it all together like that. The tempo, quick reads and OL improvement can't be overlooked either. Credit to Manny for making some strong decisions on offense.

I think the D will fine but it's generally limited by Baker. He seems too low energy and passive on downs when he should be aggressive. Bend but don't break defense.
Also iirc a bunch of defensive starters were held out of the scrimmage, no?

Advertisement

I imagine not having the Dline starters play at all makes a big difference as well. Hope these scrimmages get the D ready to face pace in regular season.

Scrimmage reactions are the best. If offense struggled we’d be doubting Lashlee, King, OL, WR etc but since they made some plays, now the defense is being called out. Even though the majority of the 2 deep at DL didn’t play and a lot of big plays were against 2/3 stringers.

Real games can’t get here fast enough.

Advertisement

I understand your point. Most dual threat qb’s so far give this defense trouble. So i would think King would do the same.

Lots of dlinemen sat out and silvera only played a couple of plays..

Let’s hope that Rhett’s offense lights a fire under the defense and that Baker doesn’t get into this bend, don’t break mentality. The worse thing we want is to get into shootouts with opposing teams. Hopefully Manny keeps the rope tight on Baker and will intercede before a game is lost thanks to his warped defensive mind.

Scrimmage reactions are the best. If offense struggled we’d be doubting Lashlee, King, OL, WR etc but since they made some plays, now the defense is being called out. Even though the majority of the 2 deep at DL didn’t play and a lot of big plays were against 2/3 stringers.

Real games can’t get here fast enough.
If the offense struggled I'd be saying it's a new system with a bunch of new players and it's understandable.

I've been a part of rebuilding a couple programs. Generally when there's new schemes being installed, the defense is ALWAYS ahead of the offense. In this case, only one half of the ball is new (offense)...so the defense should REALLY be ahead of the offense.

The whole offense isn't even in yet, I can guarantee that. But the whole defense is definitely in.

There weren't just "some big plays". Look at the YPC averages for the RB's and WR's.
I don't care whether it was against the 1st string or 3rd string. 2ND AND 3RD STRING OFFENSIVE GUYS WERE MAKING PLAYS. It wasn't like we had certified veterans making plays against the back-up defense.

Restrepo, a 3-star True Freshman, had a 70 yard TD run and two catches for 50-something yards? So he averaged 40 yards per touch? Unless our 2nd and 3rd string defense still has 9th graders on it, how does this not warrant concern? LOL

Yall act like we should give this defensive staff the benefit of the doubt after seeing what happened to them any time they've faced a legit spread OC.

Maybe I'm overreacting but let's see how the next scrimmage goes.

Advertisement
Back