King looks to get run game going vs. Wolfpack

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After the Miami Hurricanes’ second bye week of 2020, QB D’Eriq King spoke about wanting to get UM’s run game going early against NC State on Friday.

“Just getting myself involved early will open up a lot of stuff,” King said. “We have to keep playing. I trust the offensive line, running backs to get going as well. If I’m a little more aggressive, maybe that’ll help a lot of things.”

The Wolfpack have struggled this season in defending the run, allowing 182 ypg on the ground, which is 70th of 103 FBS teams.

“Their 3-3-5, they do a good job of disguising, play really, really hard, have five DB’s on the field and cover zones really well,” King said.

With the extra time off, King feels the team took advantage of the opportunity well in reviewing film and making improvements across the board.

“The bye was really good for us, just to see certain plays, try to make improvements,” King said. “We did a lot of self-reflection, made the team a lot better as far as noticing little things. This week has been a good week of practice so far… I want to get better with my feet and eyes. I’ve been focusing on that.”

Following the win over UVA two weeks back, RB Cam’Ron Harris tweeted out his frustration about his lack of carries in the second half. As a team leader, how does King deal with teammates expressing dissatisfaction with their roles?

“Everyone has to stay positive,” King said. “5-1, only loss is to the number one team in the country. I think we’re in a good spot. It’s November, the most important month in the college football season. We’re 5-1, still in the hunt for the ACC title game, it’s a big deal. For me, just stay positive. There’s a lot of negativity in the world. You should be happy coming here and getting to play games, especially this year.

“I told Cam stay with it. Cam is a very competitive guy, that’s part of where his frustration came from. Cam’s in a really good spot, is practicing really hard. Everything is good.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gonna need to see way more King usage in the run game. Getting brevin back should really opens things up offensively again, but baker could make this game closer than it should be via his soft bend but don't break bs. I got Canes 27-17.

I seriously don't understand? Why tweet this 💩 out?
Cam’Ron Harris tweeted out his frustration about his lack of carries in the second half
I mean look in the mirror first... we haven’t outside of Clemson played some murders row of defenses (I guess Pitt is pretty good) but legit he’s failed to capitalize and has allowed the two true freshman to capitalize

I seriously don't understand? Why tweet this 💩 out?
Cam’Ron Harris tweeted out his frustration about his lack of carries in the second half
Thats the culture of the team. Jarren Williams and Jeff Thomas last year. Joe Jackson vs Wisconsin. Cam this year. Cam seriously has bad vision, and is the least talented between him, DJ Dallas, and Travis Homer and we see how much it takes for them to even get any burn in the NFL. Cam is fast and thats about it.

Its also the modern attitude of Gen Z kids. Unfathomable need of instant gratification, and selfishness. Look at Kylin Hill. Cried so much about "racism and discrimination and whatever", and threatened to sit out that a State changed their flag and now he quits after 3 games because he doesn't like the offense. Everything is self-centered and "brand"-oriented and Manny Diaz loves that gimmicky concept so much that he brought in a social media "brand" consultant in to talk to the team and wont make the students pledge to stay off social media.

It starts with Diaz and wont end until hes gone because theres no accountability on the team.

Advertisement
Thats the culture of the team. Jarren Williams and Jeff Thomas last year. Joe Jackson vs Wisconsin. Cam this year. Cam seriously has bad vision, and is the least talented between him, DJ Dallas, and Travis Homer and we see how much it takes for them to even get any burn in the NFL. Cam is fast and thats about it.

Its also the modern attitude of Gen Z kids. Unfathomable need of instant gratification, and selfishness. Look at Kylin Hill. Cried so much about "racism and discrimination and whatever", and threatened to sit out that a State changed their flag and now he quits after 3 games because he doesn't like the offense. Everything is self-centered and "brand"-oriented and Manny Diaz loves that gimmicky concept so much that he brought in a social media "brand" consultant in to talk to the team and wont make the students pledge to stay off social media.

It starts with Diaz and wont end until hes gone because theres no accountability on the team.

While I agree with a lot of the sentiment you wrote throughout your post, I think the jury is still out on that last point. It was easy for Diaz to come in as the new coach and tell guys like Thomas and Perry that the past was forgotten. How he handles the rest of this season and the off-season will tell us just how much he starts tightening the screws on kids that have cancerous attitude.

Also, Cam's been nothing but a trooper up until now. I personally thought he was the least talented of the RBs. But I loved his attitude. Got to give him some slack on his frustration given his past behavior. What he needs to do is go out and put on a show against NCS, then his snap count will go up. Only if it doesn't at that point does he have any right to complain.

I really hope Lashlee has multiple scripted plays written up to start out fast. Never really thought much of Coley as a game-day play caller. But that guy was almost always good for points on the first series or two. Lashlee needs to start fast as much as King needs to.

I really hope Lashlee has multiple scripted plays written up to start out fast. Never really thought much of Coley as a game-day play caller. But that guy was almost always good for points on the first series or two. Lashlee needs to start fast as much as King needs to.
It seems Baker is always good for a scripted offensive drive for the other team getting points

Advertisement
I'm not really impressed with King's passing especially on deep sideline or out routes. Run game won't get going till they do more pulling, use a second TE to get the LB and use TE's to trap. Our OL incapable of moving Dlinemen off the ball so you have to scheme to get get the running game going.

Well said. I was outraged when they published that video of the social media brand consultant instructing the "team" in using those platforms to elevate their individual brand. It's why our players post highlights of themselves in the hours following a loss. We really never hear much from DIaz about embracing a team mentality. He tries so hard to be the opposite of every other football coach and it's nauseating.

Well said. I was outraged when they published that video of the social media brand consultant instructing the "team" in using those platforms to elevate their individual brand. It's why our players post highlights of themselves in the hours following a loss. We really never hear much from DIaz about embracing a team mentality. He tries so hard to be the opposite of every other football coach and it's nauseating.
Manny didn't invent "branding". In fact, Urban Meyer is one of the leaders of the "branding" movement...but you know he sucks. You know nothing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back