King looking to improve passing game heading into Louisville

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
In his Miami Hurricanes debut last week, QB D’Eriq King finished 16-24 (67%) for 144 yards and a TD, along with 83 rushing yards and another TD on the ground. While it was an encouraging first game, King identified a few areas he wants to improve on going forward when watching film this week, including making more big plays in the passing game.

"Watching last game, we have to improve the passing game a lot, have to start making plays,” King said. “Me giving receivers chances to make plays downfield - sometimes last game I would drop back, feel a little bit of pressure and try to escape. Probably should wait a little longer, try to make throws… If you can stay in the pocket a second longer, you have to do that - there’s room for improvement there.”

While King felt he left the pocket early on some occasions, the offensive line in pass protection played their part in allowing a lot of pressures on King when he did drop back, something Miami’s OL has historically struggled with over the past few years. Despite that, King preferred to point to how well the guys up front blocked in the run game vs. UAB, as the Canes were able to rush for 337 yards, their second-largest total vs. an FBS opponent since joining the ACC in 2004.

“Last year was last year, this year those guys have been great,” King said of the OL. “Rushing for over 300 yards, that’s a big improvement already.”

Next up, the Canes have a ranked, primetime matchup that will be featured on College GameDay this Saturday with #18 Louisville, a team Miami’s offense put up 52 points on last season.

"One of the reasons you come to Miami is to play in games like this,” King said. “Louisville is a great team, has great players… They play with a lot of energy. Both linebackers are fast, make plays downhill. Watch them on tape, the energy they play with (is great).”

Advertisement
give it to me GIF

Advertisement
Part of me wants to think King was a little worried about the pocket collapsing because that's what he's used to in practice going against our DL. He's gonna have to get used to having a little more time in the pocket during actual games. Knock'd the rust off last week, explode this week.

Part of me wants to think King was a little worried about the pocket collapsing because that's what he's used to in practice going against our DL. He's gonna have to get used to having a little more time in the pocket during actual games. Knock'd the rust off last week, explode this week.

Maybe overly optimistic, but seems possible...................

Maybe overly optimistic, but seems possible...................
To me the OL looked a lot better than last year even if it was only UAB. There were some miscues no doubt but it was the first game. It's on tape now and a good coach should work to get that cleaned up. lol yup, I might be overly optimistic.. I can always mope later

This thread needs more comments.

"King also said that Couch considered entering the portal"

Advertisement
I agree, I feel King was a bit hesitant. If I'm correct he hasnt played QB for over a year. Hopefully, he shakes off the cobwebs and feels comfortable in the backfield.

On a sidenote.... who was the QB for Houston who beat up on that good fswho team a few years ago??

I agree, I feel King was a bit hesitant. If I'm correct he hasnt played QB for over a year. Hopefully, he shakes off the cobwebs and feels comfortable in the backfield.

On a sidenote.... who was the QB for Houston who beat up on that good fswho team a few years ago??
Is that klinger or whatever his name was?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah, but you probably deserved it.

We may not know what you done wrong - but you do.
I always deserve something, that's true.

I wasn't bashing King at all, because I know he can play. All I ever said we we needed to see a better passing game or the run game will dry up. Trust me, I am still giddy about having him at QB. I just want to see a better passing game, because when that happens the run game will open up even more. THAT will be exciting, and incredibly tough to stop.

Advertisement
Back