Kinchens shines at Manny Diaz Camp, has UM in top group

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Northwestern (FL) 3-star S Kamren Kinchens is already considered one of the top DB’s in South Florida for the 2021 class. Since offering him in February, the Miami Hurricanes have treated him like a top priority and Kinchens has reciprocated that interest with multiple campus visits this spring. Most recently, Kinchens joined Miami Northwestern’s 7-on-7 team in Coral Gables to take part in UM’s tournament on campus Sunday. Although the Bulls fell short of the title, Kinchens still felt he performed well.

“It went great, I had 3 INT’s and only one touchdown scored on me all day,” Kinchens said. “Nothing was getting past me and the QB’s were so easy to read, but I still feel we should have won it.”

As for recruiting, while Miami is currently in Kinchens’ top group, it’s clear there will be some heavy competition for his services. Schools like Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, and Tennessee offered the 5-10 175 pound defensive back this spring and have made Kinchens think a lot more about his decision.

“Everything is good with the Canes right now, they’re still a top team in my choices,” Kinchens said. “It would be UM, Clemson, Ohio State, and LSU at the top right now, but when September 1st comes, it could change because that’s when every college can start talking to me officially.”

Before the 7-on-7 tournament over the weekend, Kinchens took a more personal visit to UM earlier in the week with a few teammates and was able to get some real facetime with the coaching staff.

“It’s was great, coach (Demarcus) Van Dyke took us around campus and we watched the team workouts,” Kinchens said. “I was also talking to coach (Manny) Diaz for a little bit, then went to take pictures with my teammates.”

What does he like about the Canes that has him interested in joining the program?

“It’s the fact that UM has one of the best defenses in the country and also it has one of the best D-Line’s too,” Kinchens said. “That would help the secondary get interceptions.”

Working in Miami’s favor is that Kinchens currently plays with 3 UM commits at Miami Northwestern. Kinchens admits he speaks regularly with Marcus Fleming, Romello Brinson, and Kahlil Brantley about joining forces again at the next level.

“Yeah, we definitely talk about all playing with each other in college,” Kinchens said. “But they never pressure me on making a decision early. As of right now, I would like to make a decision around this time next year.”

Despite wanting to take his time with his commitment, Kinchens does know what he is looking for in a college program.

“First, I would like to go to a place that wants and needs me, and also somewhere that offers a good communication/journalism program,” Kinchens said. “Next, I need a place that will have players to complement my skills, like a great D-Line and linebacker corps so I will be able to play to my full ability and not try to play superhero. Also, a good locker room so it can be a place for straight business and not have a lot of drama - where everyone is a family, not a separated locker room.”

At the Miami Opening Regional in February, Kinchens recorded a 4.68 40-yard dash, a 4.40 short shuttle time, and a 31.7 vertical leap.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami Northwestern (FL) 3-star S Kamren Kinchens is already considered one of the top DB’s in South Florida for the 2021 class. Since offering him in February, the Miami Hurricanes have treated him like a top priority and Kinchens has reciprocated that interest with multiple campus visits this spring. Most recently, Kinchens joined Miami Northwestern’s 7-on-7 team in Coral Gables to take part in UM’s tournament on campus Sunday. Although the Bulls fell short of the title, Kinchens still felt he performed well.

“It went great, I had 3 INT’s and only one touchdown scored on me all day,” Kinchens said. “Nothing was getting past me and the QB’s were so easy to read, but I still feel we should have won it.”

As for recruiting, while Miami is currently in Kinchens’ top group, it’s clear there will be some heavy competition for his services. Schools like Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, and Tennessee offered the 5-10 175 pound defensive back this spring and have made Kinchens think a lot more about his decision.

“Everything is good with the Canes right now, they’re still a top team in my choices,” Kinchens said. “It would be UM, Clemson, Ohio State, and LSU at the top right now, but when September 1st comes, it could change because that’s when every college can start talking to me officially.”

Before the 7-on-7 tournament over the weekend, Kinchens took a more personal visit to UM earlier in the week with a few teammates and was able to get some real facetime with the coaching staff.

“It’s was great, coach (Demarcus) Van Dyke took us around campus and we watched the team workouts,” Kinchens said. “I was also talking to coach (Manny) Diaz for a little bit, then went to take pictures with my teammates.”

What does he like about the Canes that has him interested in joining the program?

“It’s the fact that UM has one of the best defenses in the country and also it has one of the best D-Line’s too,” Kinchens said. “That would help the secondary get interceptions.”

Working in Miami’s favor is that Kinchens currently plays with 3 UM commits at Miami Northwestern. Kinchens admits he speaks regularly with Marcus Fleming, Romello Brinson, and Kahlil Brantley about joining forces again at the next level.

“Yeah, we definitely talk about all playing with each other in college,” Kinchens said. “But they never pressure me on making a decision early. As of right now, I would like to make a decision around this time next year.”

Despite wanting to take his time with his commitment, Kinchens does know what he is looking for in a college program.

“First, I would like to go to a place that wants and needs me, and also somewhere that offers a good communication/journalism program,” Kinchens said. “Next, I need a place that will have players to complement my skills, like a great D-Line and linebacker corps so I will be able to play to my full ability and not try to play superhero. Also, a good locker room so it can be a place for straight business and not have a lot of drama - where everyone is a family, not a separated locker room.”

At the Miami Opening Regional in February, Kinchens recorded a 4.68 40-yard dash, a 4.40 short shuttle time, and a 31.7 vertical leap.

Miami has a communications program, doesn't it? What about journalism?

Advertisement
Looking for a stacked defense in a locker room with one clear message... I sure hope Clemson is full when his time comes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back