Kickoff returns

matty1

Freshman
A Little research shows 74% of kickoffs that are returned instead of taking the ball at the 35, are stopped short of the 35. It also shows that of the 74%, 65% have a penalty involved resulting in the ball inside the 15.

Advertisement
A Little research shows 74% of kickoffs that are returned instead of taking the ball at the 35, are stopped short of the 35. It also shows that of the 74%, 65% have a penalty involved resulting in the ball inside the 15.
Every time we return , there is a penalty. I guess we are inflating the negative stats.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As others have written, the ball is put on the 25 for touchbacks for kickoffs, and on the 20 for punts that are touchbacks. Nevertheless, I agree that UM is better off with the ball on the 25. For some reason, UM cannot return a kick without a penalty. Worse yet, muffing the reception. Maybe it is poor coaching, probably also some poor officiating. Watching UM return kicks, it is hard to believe that Devin Hester was a Cane.

Kick off and punt returns are a disgrace this year. No production at all. Where did the talent go?

Kick off and punt returns are a disgrace this year. No production at all. Where did the talent go?
Not much to do with talent. It's a percentage play. Very few times even try to return. Too many bad things can and do if you catch and run. Check the stats.

Advertisement
The ball is actually placed at the 25 yard line. I'm sure this is what you meant.

Advertisement
Not much to do with talent. It's a percentage play. Very few times even try to return. Too many bad things can and do if you catch and run. Check the stats.
Kick off, ok. But that´s no reason for runnig backwards on punt returns.

Advertisement
Back