Kickoff Returners

CaneSB

Freshman
Anyone else want Duke off of kickoff returns? Obviously it is difficult since he is a legit threat to take it to the house every return but with his increased workload at Rb and the injury risk on returns, I just rather have him not put there unless it is a 4th qtr return and we need a Td or great field position. My preference would Coley and Dorset/burns/elder/etc.

I wondered why everyone keeps kicking to duke and now it makes sense, they want to wear him out and take out of the offense

Does his effectiveness returning outweigh all the risks? Thoughts

Advertisement
Naw I want Duke at Kick return w/ less touches at running back

Duke Johnson and Stacy Coley could be the best KR duo in the country.

Naw I want Duke at Kick return w/ less touches at running back

Duke Johnson and Stacy Coley could be the best KR duo in the country.

This. Kid reminds me of Hester. Got to let him do what he does best. You make him into a RB that carries the ball 20+ times a game, he is not only going to get injured, but the rest of his game will suffer. Got to get him in space. Pitch the ball to him and run screens for him. Kid is a serious threat catching the ball out of the backfield.

**** that.. Leave Duke and Coley back there.. Pick your poison.. and remove Dorsett from PR.. that is my X-mas wish list.

^^^YES. I've been thinking the same thing. As explosive as Duke is, why do they not run more screens? Maybe they do and I'm just missing it. I would also like to see what Corn can do at returner. But I think Duke should stay on return duty.

Advertisement
If we are behind in the game and need a big play...put Duke back there.

If we are up, leave Duke off...and we will be up often this season :quag:

if he's going to get hurt he will, No point in taking away probably a top 3 kickreturn threat in college football out of fear. He added 10 pounds of bulk and he took a beating last year on A LOT of kick returns because we gave up a ton of points. I think he'll be fine, just make Coley the other kick returner and i'm happy

Advertisement
Leave him and make people want to kick away from him.

^^^YES. I've been thinking the same thing. As explosive as Duke is, why do they not run more screens? Maybe they do and I'm just missing it. I would also like to see what Corn can do at returner. But I think Duke should stay on return duty.

While I agree Duke would be dangerous on screens, he needs to show better hands before we increase the number of throws to him. Last year he dropped some key passes. Against USF, he dropped a quick pass. It's something he needs to work on.

Advertisement
Back