Keys to the FSU Game

Start fast. Score on our first few possessions. Make them play catch-up.
And of course don’t turn the ball over, like we did vs Ga Tech.

Advertisement
Execute the offense. Score early. Don't turn it over.

If the offense does what it's been doing, but doesn't fumble thrice and miss a cheap FG, we will win.

The defense is what it is. Forcing a turnover would be nice, but this game is on the offense to do its job.

Offense: protect TVD
Defense: stop the run
Every way you look at this game favors Miami in a big way. If we have a strength on d it’s the run, what’s Fsu do well? Run. Our pass d is trash so hopefully Travis doesn’t do like other qb’s against UM and turn into super man. There’s big windows in our defense so he could get hot and build some confidence. But the defense SHOULD have the advantage. On offense we pass the ball, what do they do badly ? stopping the pass. Once again big advantage.

The one area I’m concerned is their DL versus our OL. Especially their ends. If the ol holds up scoring shouldn’t be a problem.

Everything points to a win. But as I said this week “ Manny is the coach so who knows”?

People are going to be praising Silvera again after this game. This is his show. McCloud too. And whoever is the spy. Those are the theee guys I’m looking to ball out for us to have a good day.

Not worried about the offense. OP has a legit point that our STs can’t be a sieve and give easy up scores.

Advertisement
In no particular order, here are some keys to the FSU game:

1) Do NOT let their Kick Return Man (Jay) get a cheap TD. He's fast & physical. In a rivalry game like this, the margin of victory is often small. Kick it super deep & put starters on Special Teams for this game.

2) Contain Jordan Travis so he doesn't beat us with his legs. That is his primary weapon. Spy him with two guys at all times & force him to beat you with his passing game (which I view as the lesser threat). Contain the heck out of this guy on the ground & you win.

3) Keep penalties down. While the play of TVD, Rambo & Knighton were bigger factors in victories over NC State and Pitt, we had fewer penalties than in prior games. That's real progress & a major factor. In a rivalry game (where emotions run high), we've got to play smart & continue to avoid dumb penalties.

4) Don't fall asleep on the back end...which can lead to explosive plays for FSU. Yes, we should absolutely key on containing Jordan Travis on the ground but the DBs cannot be lulled to sleep & then beaten on deep balls for TDs. This happened against UNC and it would cost us big time. FSU isn't consistently great on offense but they do score on explosive plays (long runs by Jordan Travis & the occasional deep ball to Ontaria Wilson & others). DBs have to remain vigilant at all times or he could surprise us over the top for an explosive play.

5) Tackling, tackling, tackling. Wrap them up properly & if you can't bring the man down, hold on long enough that your teammates can finish the tackle.

6) Protect TVD. FSU has a pretty solid DL. TEs and DBs have got to be effective blocking & OL has to have a great game. Protect TVD.

Go Canes! Your thoughts?
So you listed the 6 things we are the worst at. We have absolutely zero chance at not completely failing at any one of them, much less all 6.

Offense: protect TVD
Defense: stop the run
This.

Also, I hope we addressed the throws we've been giving up over the middle. We win if we have decent OL play and good LB play. Manny blitzing every play won't do it.

So you listed the 6 things we are the worst at. We have absolutely zero chance at not completely failing at any one of them, much less all 6.

I'm all-in on replace Manny. But I don't agree that we're not capable of any of these. #2 -- we've contained several decent running QBs, #3 -- we've been cleaning things up on penalties, #4 -- our young safeties get beat but also force turnovers and PBUs regularly, #5, we're tackling much better if not where we need to be yet, those Kinchens tackles are emblematic of our improvement there, $6 OL has been stout.

It's okay to be ****ed we're a 4-loss team when we should be a 1-loss or 2-loss team, and still believe the team is loaded with talent outside of a couple spots, and should stomp all over a gutted FSU team.

Alot of teams made alot of money by getting the ball to their backs n TE in passing game.. hope we have some screens and get rooster more involved catching the ball.. Mallory n Co. Should eat too..
**** man, thought I called it but we waited too late to get Rooster the ball in passing game.. We shouldve blown them out

Advertisement
We failed on #2, #3 (Penalties), #4 and #6. Way too many d*mb Penalties cost us the game together with the incredibly bad decision not to let FSU score quickly when they got the ball down to our 1 yard line. No way we were going to keep them out of the end zone so all we did was burn our precious remaining time by trying to stop them.

Advertisement
Back