Keys to the FSU Game

Canegrad89

Recruit
In no particular order, here are some keys to the FSU game:

1) Do NOT let their Kick Return Man (Jay) get a cheap TD. He's fast & physical. In a rivalry game like this, the margin of victory is often small. Kick it super deep & put starters on Special Teams for this game.

2) Contain Jordan Travis so he doesn't beat us with his legs. That is his primary weapon. Spy him with two guys at all times & force him to beat you with his passing game (which I view as the lesser threat). Contain the heck out of this guy on the ground & you win.

3) Keep penalties down. While the play of TVD, Rambo & Knighton were bigger factors in victories over NC State and Pitt, we had fewer penalties than in prior games. That's real progress & a major factor. In a rivalry game (where emotions run high), we've got to play smart & continue to avoid dumb penalties.

4) Don't fall asleep on the back end...which can lead to explosive plays for FSU. Yes, we should absolutely key on containing Jordan Travis on the ground but the DBs cannot be lulled to sleep & then beaten on deep balls for TDs. This happened against UNC and it would cost us big time. FSU isn't consistently great on offense but they do score on explosive plays (long runs by Jordan Travis & the occasional deep ball to Ontaria Wilson & others). DBs have to remain vigilant at all times or he could surprise us over the top for an explosive play.

5) Tackling, tackling, tackling. Wrap them up properly & if you can't bring the man down, hold on long enough that your teammates can finish the tackle.

6) Protect TVD. FSU has a pretty solid DL. TEs and DBs have got to be effective blocking & OL has to have a great game. Protect TVD.

Go Canes! Your thoughts?

Advertisement
On defense, if we'd call this game with even a little bit of restraint or awareness, I think it's a pretty easy win, but since we won't, tackling for sure tops the list. If we're sticking with the, "Eh, **** it, this is what we're running anyway," they're going to gash us at times, but make the tackle and limit it.

It's obvious that GT saw on film that they could get the ball away from our guys, because they weren't even trying to tackle us, just strip the rock and they did. Cover up and protect the football.

Manny at some point this week needed to be the HC and not the DC. I hope he walked into Lashlee's office and told him to figure something else out for X and 1, or any other obvious running down. That IZ handoff is out of the playbook. Don't ******* call it.

Not seeing this come out

In no particular order, here are some keys to the FSU game:

1) Do NOT let their Kick Return Man (Jay) get a cheap TD. He's fast & physical. In a rivalry game like this, the margin of victory is often small. Kick it super deep & put starters on Special Teams for this game.

2) Contain Jordan Travis so he doesn't beat us with his legs. That is his primary weapon. Spy him with two guys at all times & force him to beat you with his passing game (which I view as the lesser threat). Contain the heck out of this guy on the ground & you win.

3) Keep penalties down. While the play of TVD, Rambo & Knighton were bigger factors in victories over NC State and Pitt, we had fewer penalties than in prior games. That's real progress & a major factor. In a rivalry game (where emotions run high), we've got to play smart & continue to avoid dumb penalties.

4) Don't fall asleep on the back end...which can lead to explosive plays for FSU. Yes, we should absolutely key on containing Jordan Travis on the ground but the DBs cannot be lulled to sleep & then beaten on deep balls for TDs. This happened against UNC and it would cost us big time. FSU isn't consistently great on offense but they do score on explosive plays (long runs by Jordan Travis & the occasional deep ball to Ontaria Wilson & others). DBs have to remain vigilant at all times or he could surprise us over the top for an explosive play.

5) Tackling, tackling, tackling. Wrap them up properly & if you can't bring the man down, hold on long enough that your teammates can finish the tackle.

6) Protect TVD. FSU has a pretty solid DL. TEs and DBs have got to be effective blocking & OL has to have a great game. Protect TVD.

Go Canes! Your thoughts?
Nicely done.

Advertisement
Alot of teams made alot of money by getting the ball to their backs n TE in passing game.. hope we have some screens and get rooster more involved catching the ball.. Mallory n Co. Should eat too..

Contain Travis in the pocket and stop the run game that is surprisingly good this year. Couple it with limit TOs and we will remind them who is big brother and little sister in this relationship

Advertisement
Best way to to keep that D off balance is with some early successful drives that include a few 5+ yard carries.

Not seeing this come out

Attachments

• 5E912141-5B23-450F-B91D-74FC6C74229F.jpeg
    5E912141-5B23-450F-B91D-74FC6C74229F.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
Advertisement
I just hope we don't come out timid on O. Go for the throat early and often. I want to see 300 passing yards by the half. I want them to feel the pain of knowing they can't stop our O, at all. I want to see them sulking on the sideline with that, "Here we go again" look on their faces. I want their message boards to be in complete meltdown mode, with FIRE NORVELL in every post.

I want a biblical beatdown that sends their fans home by halftime.

So I guess my key to the game is for every one of our guys to beat every one of their guys on every play.

The KEY to the game is stopping Corbin who averages a whopping 6 yards a carry and is a load and tough to bring down at 6 feet and 220 pounds. Surprised no one has mentioned him.

Advertisement
Back