Keys to success against UNC?

Brandinho

Section 139
Premium
Going to try to shift gears into talking real football for a minute. Curious to see what you guys think the Canes should do to win this game.

For me, it starts with controlling the clock with a run-heavy (60-40, 70-30) system so we can keep their offense off the field and their trash defense on it. UNC's run defense is one of the worst in the P5 and we should be able to get a push regardless of the o-line situation.

Running the ball heavy should open up the play-action game for Kaaya to hit his playmakers deep.

As for defense, I would like to see much of the same. Coach Diaz is letting the dogs loose on the QB and if they effectively get to Trubisky, it'll be a long day for him.

So, in essence:
1. Control the clock and keep Trubisky and Switzer on ice
2. Open up the play action game after some run-heavy playcalling
3. Put Trubisky on his *** when he's on the field

What say you?

Advertisement
We have to control their screen and running games. Trubisky has been good, but he's connecting on little short passes and letting talented receivers go to work. I don't think he's been great with deep shots.

Secondary needs to play close to the line of scrimmage and DL needs to be in the backfield every snap.

Going to try to shift gears into talking real football for a minute. Curious to see what you guys think the Canes should do to win this game.

For me, it starts with controlling the clock with a run-heavy (60-40, 70-30) system so we can keep their offense off the field and their trash defense on it. UNC's run defense is one of the worst in the P5 and we should be able to get a push regardless of the o-line situation.

Running the ball heavy should open up the play-action game for Kaaya to hit his playmakers deep.

As for defense, I would like to see much of the same. Coach Diaz is letting the dogs loose on the QB and if they effectively get to Trubisky, it'll be a long day for him.

So, in essence:
1. Control the clock and keep Trubisky and Switzer on ice
2. Open up the play action game after some run-heavy play calling
3. Put Trubisky on his *** when he's on the field

What say you?

It's up to the OL. If they have another bad game, there goes your entire game plan

Their receivers abused FSU all game, we need to continue to tackle, especially that punk Switzer. Hoping the heat wears them out in the 2nd half and we can control the clock with our running game.

Advertisement
Defense needs to be violent again and hit Trubisky like they did Frenchie, hopefully the FSU tent has been removed so we can keep him out of the game. Offense needs to spread them out and establish the run, O-Line has got to keep BK upright and he needs to plant and throw.

Need to have a safety over Switzer.

30% of all pass plays go his way. That is crazy one dimensional

Elijah Hood will be back for this game, so we have to contain him in the run game & disrupt UNC's uptempo quick passing attack.

The way to do that is, by creating early interior pressure upfront & playing a lot of head up Man to Man on the outside.

If we sit back in Zone, they'll gash the f*ck outta of us... Plus, not having Jamal in the 1st half could affect the way we play the run, because despite how he's been in coverage, he's done pretty well against the run for us in cleaning up plays at the 2nd level.

Most importantly, we have to win the TOP battle, we cannot afford to leave our Defense on the field all game long like we've been doing all season. We've gotten away with it for the most part thus far, but that's not going to cut it vs UNC's offense.

We gotta get off the field on 3rd downs for Defense & we gotta stay on the field on the 3rd downs for Offense... Too many 3 & Outs vs UNC will definitely result in a loss.

And lastly, we gotta force turnovers! We need INT's & fumbles, and blocking a FG or a Punt would be great too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The key to stopping UNC's offense is not allowing massive RAC yards. Ryan Switzer, Bug Howard and Ricky Prohl's kid are all good run after catch wide receivers. Their 2 yard out offense needs to be checked tightly.

That and we have to score points..... like more than them.

We need to play tight on their WRs and Dline must get in the backfield repeatedly. Can't let them get their rhythm and quick passes going. We'll have to be disruptive all game.

At least there's a much better chance of that now than the past several years (where there was literally zero chance).

Our LBs will need to play well in space, too.

Yanking Kaaya for Rosier immediately when he gets some kind of injury, i.e. thigh bruise, stubbed toe, hangnail...

Advertisement
1.Pass rush must be top notch
2. Good D in man to man coverage
3. Heavy run game
4. Sprinkle in play action
5. A bit of luck

I think Diaz needs to utilize more zone blitzing because we were getting ate up in man coverage against FSU when it mattered. Granted the pass rush wasn't there but our best plays by DBs came from zone coverage.

Advertisement
Elijah Hood will be back for this game, so we have to contain him in the run game & disrupt UNC's uptempo quick passing attack.

The way to do that is, by creating early interior pressure upfront & playing a lot of head up Man to Man on the outside.

If we sit back in Zone, they'll gash the f*ck outta of us... Plus, not having Jamal in the 2nd half could affect the way we play the run, because despite how he's been in coverage, he's done pretty well against the run for us in cleaning up plays in the 2nd level.

Most importantly, we have to win the TOP battle, we cannot afford to leave our Defense on the field all game long like we've been doing all season. We've gotten away with it for the most part thus far, but that's not going to cut it vs UNC's offense.

We gotta get off the field on 3rd downs for Defense & we gotta stay on the field on the 3rd downs for Offense... Too many 3 & Outs vs UNC will definitely result in a loss.

And lastly, we gotta force turnovers! We need INT's & fumbles, and blocking a FG or a Punt would be great too.

I believe Carter's Targeting suspension only applies to the 1st half of the following game. He should be good to go in the 2nd half.

If we sit back in Zone, they'll gash the f*ck outta of us... Plus, not having Jamal in the 2nd half could affect the way we play the run, because despite how he's been in coverage, he's done pretty well against the run for us in cleaning up plays in the 2nd level.

I believe Carter's Targeting suspension only applies to the 1st half of the following game. He should be good to go in the 2nd half.
You're right, that was a typo... I meant to say until the 2nd half.

Roger that. Hopefully Jamal won't be missed much in the 1st. We gonna need some fresh legs in the 4th qtr.

Advertisement
Back