Keys to beating FSU

ChosenOne

Band
Banned
I probably should make some of these.. nahhh

Anyways

1) Run Defense (Specifically front 7)
- Duke were able to create holes in the run game and that just can't happen against FSU. We CAN NOT bail out FSU by allowing them to establish a run game period. If we shut down their run and they beat us throwing the ball 30+ with a true freshman then kudos to them because at that point they deserved to win.

2) O-line
- People are talking about what we're gonna to their O-line but lets not forget the fact that our O-line isn't any better either it just less worse then FSU's. Last time I checked their D-line is still better then our O-line even if you don't think FSU D-line is "elite" do they need to be to take advantage of our O-line's inability to deal with athletic pass rushers? Lets be real for a minute. I don't like how people are ignoring this match-up because they don't think FSU D-line is as good as they were hyped to be as if our O-line is good-elite. During the 7 game losing streak to FSU our O-line has been one of the biggest reason why we lose to them.

3) Kick Offs
- This will be the most under look match-up of the game. Badgely better not allow one kickoff return. FSU has one of the best kickoff averages in the country and I think everyone here knows Miami has been TERRIBLE covering kickoffs. Even Bethune was getting to the 30 yard line on a consistent basis. If we keep allowing kickoff returns with the speed FSU has they will break one and that could end up being the difference because it always a play one play that we didn't make that turned out to be the difference or turn the tide of the game in their favor. ALWAYS.

2011: Punt Return TD by FSU just before the half.
2012: Fumble by Morris.
2013: Morris under throws a wide open Stacy Coley deep for a TD. Int.
2014: Berrios Drop in the endzone. Lead to miss FG attempt. Battling a pass only for the FSU RB to catch it and score.
2015: Up 1 point on 3rd Down Chad Thomas barely misses battling a FSU pass which would of been huge as they were a little backed up.
2016: Flag on Walton's run, Interception, or Extra Point blocked.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not worth the risk to place kick offs in hopes of netting a bit on the return. Badgley should kick it through the end zone every time. They lose at Wake had they done that.

Stop the run, Don't turn it over. Force TO's and don't let them get the big play

It's ours to lose.

Duke runs zone inside read and you have to account for QB keeping it.
Jones had 18 of Duke’s 46 carries

FSU does not

Last edited:
Advertisement
Stop the run... I thought they would run some sort of read option like Duke did but I don`t think Jimbo trusts that. Stop the run and don`t allow kickoffs and we win. Maleek has to get his head around though this game no question they are going to target this.

Our special teams have been BAD this year..

If Badgley cant kick that sh*t out the endzone..fine someone else who can.

Stop their run...they will try to establish it on o..to make it easy for the qb.

Can we run designed outside runs...Brian Burns is light in the ***...but they are big n strong inside...were not gonna get push on their dtackles..we need richt to be more creative in the run game...cuz fsu will STILL be the best dline we face...and the 2nd fastest LBS we face next to VATECH...So that slow developing play wont work consistently.

Advertisement
The problem with football is people make it way too complicated. It will come down to three main things (95% of all games do, check films) The team that rushes for the most yards, the team that has less than 12 missed tackles, and the team with the fewest penalty yards. Our open field tackling has been pretty good. Great compared to the past few years. We must be able to run the ball. Only running flat zone and zone read won't get it done. We have to run some power and some type of misdirection. Win or lose, after the game check the 3 stats above.

Advertisement
Special teams will be the difference. FSU has trouble generating offense, so they will live and die on big returns. Don't give them the chance. If we can't kick out of end zone, then just kick pop ups so they have to fair catch. I'd rather give them the ball at the 33 yard line than watch them house a kick off and get 3 or 4 big returns.

1. Richt realizes before the game that our OL cannot support the kind of running game he desires against the FSU front seven and he doesn't waste plays and possessions finding that out.
2. Walton stops trying to bounce everything outside. It worked against Bethune-Cookman and Toledo, but it wont work against FSU.
3. Score TDs rather than FGs in the red zone.

Advertisement
Show up

This is a god awful FSU team. Do you guys realize how bad Wake is?

If Richt loses this fire everyone

Advertisement
Back