Kevin Patrick should be the next DL Coach at Miami

Paranos

All-ACC
Lets bring Coach Kevin Patrick back home to Miami.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kevin_patrick_883001.html

Kevin Patrick begins his first season at North Texas as the defensive line coach. Patrick, who spent the last six seasons at South Florida, is one of the nation's top recruiters and has produced three NFL draft picks, including first-rounder Jason Pierre-Paul who was the 15th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Patrick followed McCarney as the defensive line coach at USF after McCarney went to Florida in 2008. While at South Florida, Patrick developed some of the top defensive lineman in the country. Pierre-Paul was a first-team All-American selection by Pro Football Weekly in 2009.

Pierre-Paul was also named first-team all-conference by the BIG EAST coaches, ESPN, Rivals.com and the Sporting News along with second-team honors by Phil Steele.

In addition to his work with Pierre Paul, Patrick's defensive line unit included current Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman George Selvie and Houston Texans defensive tackle Terrell McClain. Under Patrick's leadership, Selvie earned All-BIG EAST Second Team honors and was a seventh round draft pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2010.

In 2007, McCarney coached Selvie in his sophomore season to a first-team All-American honor and Patrick coached Selvie in his junior season to another All-American season in 2008. McClain was a third round draft pick in 2011 by the Carolina Panthers after earning first-team All-BIG EAST honors his senior year at South Florida.

In 2011, Patrick's tackles contributed to USF finishing second nationally in tackles for loss and fourth in sacks, while only allowing 107.3 rushing yards per game (15th NCAA).

The Bulls were led by the tackle trio of Keith McCaskill, Cory Grissom and Elkino Watson, who combined for 6.5 sacks and 23 tackles for loss. In 2010, Patrick guided a unit that helped the defense rank 17th in total defense (317.9 ypg), 22nd in scoring defense (20.0 ppg) and 22nd in rushing defense (125.6 ypg).

USF's defensive ends posted 21.5 of the Bulls' 25 sacks on the season in 2009, along with 37 tackles for loss. The defensive line anchored a defensive unit that finished second in the BIG EAST in scoring defense in 2009 and third in total defense led by Pierre-Paul. Patrick flourished during his first season back with the Bulls.

He helped defensive end George Selvie repeat as a first team All-American and assisted a defensive unit that ranked No. 10 nationally in total defense. Patrick also reeled in a pair of national awards on the recruiting trail. Rivals named him one of the top 25 recruiters in America and the top recruiter in the BIG EAST in 2009.

The acclaim came after four-star recruits Ryne Giddens, Jacquain Williams, Jason Pierre-Paul and Julius Forte inked with USF on National Signing Day. During his playing days, Patrick was an All-American defensive end at the University of Miami from 1989-93.

He was a major contributor on the Hurricane team that claimed two National Championships with wins over Nebraska in the 1992 Orange Bowl and over Alabama in the 1990 Sugar Bowl. Patrick also played in the Cotton and Fiesta Bowls during his career. He is one of two individuals in the USF program that has earned BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year honors. Patrick claimed his in 1993, while two-time All-American George Selvie earned that honor in 2007.

Patrick earned All-America honors and team MVP accolades in 1993, when he collected 10 sacks. During his career, he tallied 174 tackles and 23 sacks, which ranks fifth in program history. He graduated from Miami in 1994 with a degree in business administration.

Patrick was a four-year letterwinner in football at Forest Hill High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., graduating in 1989. He also was a two-year letterwinner in track and field, throwing the shot put and discus his junior and senior years.

Patrick and his wife Rachel have two daughters - Grace and Belle.

[video=youtube_share;l5JEl8jGXDo]http://youtu.be/l5JEl8jGXDo[/video]

Advertisement
An experienced coach with a very good track record. This gives him a big edge over Kareem Brown, who needs to get some experience as a DL coach before being hired by the Canes as DL coach.

Last edited:
Not for Fat Al. Wait for Butch, Kevin! I agree he is a great coach though, but this scheme would kill his solid reputation.

With Kevin Patrick as DL Coach at Miami we will finally have a position coach that knows to tell the DC not to run a NT stunts with a player substitution package that includes a 360lbs NT (notice Micheal Wyche trying to loop outside) that has a bad foot on the field.

Like this play we ran against South Carolina.
proxy.php

Advertisement
He does not fit the Al golden "patty cake" style...

He is an aggressive DL coach. He would be frustrated here.

he was one of my favorites canes. i remember Darren Krien was getting all the hype but Patrick was an animal. he had an amazing all american year.

Last edited:
He does not fit the Al golden "patty cake" style...

He is an aggressive DL coach. He would be frustrated here.

YUP an that is exactly why we need him :cool:! Good Lord this place will erupt when he is announced.

Take these quotes for instance.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/miami-hurricanes-looking-to-end-football-series-with-south-florida-bulls/1136118

Miami Hurricanes looking to end football series with South Florida Bulls

........ GOING HOME: USF defensive tackles coach Kevin Patrick was an All-America defensive end at Miami, and he will see a familiar face on the other sideline Saturday in coach Randy Shannon, who was his defensive line coach in 1992 and a graduate assistant in 1991 on the Hurricanes' national title squad.

Also, Miami linebackers coach Micheal Barrow was a teammate of Patrick's from 1989 to 1992.

"Mike and I won't talk. Randy and I won't talk this week," Patrick said. "That's just the philosophy of the program that we all grew up in. It's a very competitive nature. They know where my mind is and know what I want to do. There's not much to be said. It's enemy grounds."

It was the same last weekend when Patrick went up against another Miami teammate, Bernard Clark, the linebackers coach at Pittsburgh. "We hugged, and that was it," Patrick said.

Patrick went up against Miami with USF last season and said returning to Miami makes the trip special, even if it's not to the Orange Bowl he knew as the Hurricanes' home.

"The colors and the U, I'm not going to be much more excited than any other game, but deep down, there's something there," he said. "I'm not going to make a big deal about it."....

===============================================
http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/no-mixed-loyalties-for-usf-coaches-vs-miami-563852

No mixed loyalties for USF coaches vs. Miami
By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff

TAMPA -The University of Miami football program – in the parlance of modern college athletics – has a great brand.

USF defensive tackles coach Kevin Patrick was an All-American defensive lineman for the Hurricanes (1989-93). He was a member of two national championship teams. As a senior, he was named Big East Conference defensive player of the year.....

Mixed loyalties?

Hardly.

Plenty of time has passed. "I will always love my alma mater,'' Patrick said, although one of the most thrilling moments of his career occurred in 2010, when USF won at Miami, 23-20 in overtime. "It was like beating up on your little brother,'' he said. "But I loved it.''........

During his UM career, including a redshirt year, the Hurricanes were ranked in the top 10 each week of those five seasons (and they were a top-five team in 48 of those 60 weekly polls).

"It was what a lot of people consider the heyday of college football,'' Patrick said. "I'm so grateful to have been a part of that. It does get you a lot of respect.''

Even Patrick's USF players, some of whom were not born when he played at UM, know about his Hurricane background.

"I like to think it helps me to relate to my players and it helps them relate to me,'' Patrick said. "I've bled and sweated. I've put my hand in the dirt. I've done all the things I'm going to ask them to do and was fortunate to have some success.

"You never forget how you were raised in this game. And I was raised in a firestorm. It made me into who I am. My teammates at the U, they'll always be my brothers. But they know no matter who we're playing, even Miami, I've giving it my all to win.''

Last edited:
Advertisement
With Kevin Patrick as DL Coach at Miami we will finally have a position coach that knows to tell the DC not to run a NT stunts with a player substitution package that includes a 360lbs NT (notice Micheal Wyche trying to loop outside) that has a bad foot on the field.

proxy.php

the defense was such a fail in all aspects that play, the DBs looked like high schoolers trying to learn zone

proxy.php

the defense was such a fail in all aspects that play, the DBs looked like high schoolers trying to learn zone
, such of waste of bodies in coverage that could be getting after the QB theres like 4 guys within 10 yards of each other, smh

Advertisement
No Knock on Kevin Patrick, but if he's such a good Coach why is coaching at North Texas and not some bigger Program?

Advertisement
No Knock on Kevin Patrick, but if he's such a good Coach why is coaching at North Texas and not some bigger Program?

Both he and his family wanted to stay in florida so when he was let go at USF he had other offers but he turn them down. Keep in mind he and have wife have also built a $15 million dollar (adjusted for 7 year of growth) Medical Billing company so he is not coaching for the money. He took the North Texas job because he couldn't take being out of coaching so he went to work for his friend at North Texas.

Patricks 2008 USF Bio mentioning his Medical Company
http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1399344

Here is a more in depth article about KP's return to coaching.
http://tbo.com/sports/usf-assistants-just-keep-plugging-away-580099

Go Canes

Last edited:

Both he and his family wanted to stay in florida so when he was let go at USF he had other offers but he turn them down. Keep in mind he and have wife have also built a $15 million dollar (adjusted for 7 year of growth) Medical Billing company so he is not coaching for the money. He took the North Texas job because he couldn't take being out of coaching so he went to work for his friend at North Texas.

Patricks 2008 USF Bio mentioning his Medical Company
http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1399344

Here is a more in depth article about KP's return to coaching.
http://tbo.com/sports/usf-assistants-just-keep-plugging-away-580099

Go Canes

This is a bit of a red flag,how hungry is he really.We already went through this when Greg Mark was coaching DL and also had outside interests.

Advertisement
Back