2022 Kevin Coleman 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D is a star *****, he justifies his rankings by the stars next to the name and who’s recruiting them. And to be fair he’d be right a lot more than he’s wrong with that strategy.

I’m sure there’s some crazy takes by me out there on Pope too, but once he arrived I was as hard as anyone on him. I knew we’d struck out with him. I actually ****ed folks off when I said this.

He was super tiny, he looked fragile. He also played very stiff snd had horrible hands. The key area that stuck me was his production in HS, that’s a red flag with me when I evaluate kids. He was the definition of a seven on seven superstar.

He also had other issues that I won’t go into detail on. That was as much of a problem as his physical issues.

I've thought about these kinds of issues a lot over the last 35 years of observing recruiting. For so long, Florida high school coaching has been limited, particularly in the passing game. You had some kids who coulda/woulda/shoulda been rated as great WR prospects who either got very few receptions, or played QB. ****, that even happened at the collegiate level sometimes, Keith Jackson was a very talented TE for Oklahoma and he probably got about 15 receptions per season at OK.

But back to the point at hand, we often hear "you can't coach speed/height/size/length", and that is true. There are also a lot of college coaches who can teach some fundamental skills that were overlooked by HS coaches.

With Pope, I think we focused too much on ONE physical trait, and projected some other physical traits. Yes, a good college S&C coach can put some weight on a kid, but it is risky to do with "speed" guys, you can never be 100% certain when the weight gain causes a speed drop-off.

As you point out, too, there were "eyeball" issues with Pope that should have been discussed more openly, such as the fragility, stiffness, and lack of "fight" for the ball. I don't care if Pope only had 10 or 20 catches per year IF A PERCENTAGE OF THOSE CATCHES showed some fight and heart. If you don't see that on film, then you are pushing all your chips into the middle of the table BASED SOLELY ON SPEED. And there are a lot of fast kids out there.

Hands? Yeah, I could go on about that issue for another 10 paragraphs. I played receiver in Pop Warner and I had good hands. Slow? Yes. Tall? No. But hands I had. I wish there was a "measurement" for how good a receiver's hands are, beyond just "film" and "huge hands". But, yeah, that is probably the number one thing that I look for on film. How does the receiver use his hands, does it look natural and graceful, or is it some bumblefvck who bobbles the ball until he gets it into his body?

****, you can go back to some other websites 15 years ago and find my posts that screamed about UM signing George "Hands of Stone" Robinson.

And all of the receivers I have admired and respected have "great hands" in common. ****, I absolutely loved Fred Biletnikoff (yeah, yeah, before I enrolled at UM, and yes I know he's a SemenHole) and Harold Carmichael and Steve Largent. I used to lose my sanity when fast guys like Kevin House or Skeets Nehemiah would drop the ball.

Hands. The absolute, number-one "non-negotiable".

Advertisement
D is a star *****, he justifies his rankings by the stars next to the name and who’s recruiting them. And to be fair he’d be right a lot more than he’s wrong with that strategy.

I’m sure there’s some crazy takes by me out there on Pope too, but once he arrived I was as hard as anyone on him. I knew we’d struck out with him. I actually ****ed folks off when I said this.

He was super tiny, he looked fragile. He also played very stiff snd had horrible hands. The key area that stuck me was his production in HS, that’s a red flag with me when I evaluate kids. He was the definition of a seven on seven superstar.

He also had other issues that I won’t go into detail on. That was as much of a problem as his physical issues.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Yeah…. I recall almost everyone including myself gushing over Pope. Also, the no explosive comments are also head scratchers. Kid could get open and was fast. His problem was he was weak and caught a case of the dropsies.
Well catching the football is about Confidence and Concentration. His fragile body had him looking more for the Hit than the Ball. It caused him to play tentative most of his time at Miami. He has FBS tools in an FCS body. He may regain his swag in the FCS.

Well catching the football is about Confidence and Concentration. His fragile body had him looking more for the Hit than the Ball. It caused him to play tentative most of his time at Miami. He has FBS tools in an FCS body. He may regain his swag in the FCS.
He played like he was always thinking. Instead of just playing.

Advertisement
there is a lot of revisionist history and bordering on gaslighting. Popes problem wasn’t explosiveness or speed… it was physicality, body control, and most importantly mental. He did not have the stature or the strength needed and he was mind ****ed his whole time here. Dude could definitely get open and could move

Pope’s senior year he ran under 11 seconds in the 100m 9 out of 13 times, with the fastest time being 10.53
Yea I remember him having a 10.5 time.. we finally get some track speed that should be game breaking and we get the guy whose speed doesn't translate and scared to catch..

We thought we would be explosive af with him and lingard.. smfh

Advertisement
I personally wanted to see another Santana Moss with Pope. Not the biggest but fast, quick, and would put the fear of God in opponents when in the open field. The problem was Pope did not have that dog in him like Moss.

Advertisement
it's easy to be a star when your faster than most of the DB's you're running against in 7 on 7's so you never have contested balls you're trying to catch or contact from DB's grabbing at your arms and hands.

easy to look like a 5* in these types of settings.

it's easy to be a star when your faster than most of the DB's you're running against in 7 on 7's so you never have contested balls you're trying to catch or contact from DB's grabbing at your arms and hands.

easy to look like a 5* in these types of settings.
I wouldn’t say it’s easy. You still have to make plays. It’s just different when pads are put on. Anyone who’s played football knows when you put the shoulder pads on, the game is different. Pope being 172 pounds as a 3rd year guy was the colossal red flag. You have to be strong enough to fight through contact in college and Pope consistently got straight up bullied off his spots. Weak and questionable hands= bad receiver.

Coleman based off film looks bigger and stronger than Pope. His YaC shows the ability to make things happen. It’ll be interesting to see how he performs at the all star game. If you recall, Pope got bullied at all day at the Army game. Could not get off press

Advertisement
I wouldn’t say it’s easy. You still have to make plays. It’s just different when pads are put on. Anyone who’s played football knows when you put the shoulder pads on, the game is different. Pope being 172 pounds as a 3rd year guy was the colossal red flag. You have to be strong enough to fight through contact in college and Pope consistently got straight up bullied off his spots. Weak and questionable hands= bad receiver.

Coleman based off film looks bigger and stronger than Pope. His YaC shows the ability to make things happen. It’ll be interesting to see how he performs at the all star game. If you recall, Pope got bullied at all day at the Army game. Could not get off press
what i meant is that when you're faster than most of the Db's you're running alone and no one's banging on you knocking you around.**** I'm old with two bad knees but I can still catch a football if no one is around me..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back