Kendal Briles education

Advertisement
Because it's the only thing they can talk about. They want to believe that things like fan support, and buildings matter. Kids aren't going to Bama because of fan support, and facilities. They are going because they win championships, and Saban send players to the NFL.
And Bags!

LOL it’s a very standard graph and way to look at football metrics. Away from the center is good. Towards the center is bad. Every metric, they’re better when he’s there vs when he’s not.

I guess - in all my years of working in finance I have never seen that graph. Maybe it’s a sports thing?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Go check out our new OC at noon vs Ped State.

Just remember, his QB, KJ Jefferson, is a dual-threat QB who barely completed 60% of his passes in HS.

He completed under 50% of his passes his first 2 years at Arkansas, albeit in limited action. This year, in his 2nd working with Briles and 1st as the man getting all the work, he finished EIGHTH in passer rating in the fooking country! 67% completions, 6th in the country in YPA, only 3 picks in over 250 attempts. Oh, and he ran for 550 yards, too. Working with last or close to last in the conference talent surrounding him.

Ped St is missing a few players on defense, and Arkansas did have one WR who is a baller and high NFL pick (Treylon Burks) who opted out, but I expect Briles and Jefferson to carve up what was a very good Ped St defense this year. I’ll be surprised if they don’t score 30+. Ped St only gave up 30 twice this year, Ohio State got em for 33 and Sparty scored 30. If Briles does it with toilet water SEC talent and no Burks…….

Just remember, his QB, KJ Jefferson, is a dual-threat QB who barely completed 60% of his passes in HS.

He completed under 50% of his passes his first 2 years at Arkansas, albeit in limited action. This year, in his 2nd working with Briles and 1st as the man getting all the work, he finished EIGHTH in passer rating in the fooking country! 67% completions, 6th in the country in YPA, only 3 picks in over 250 attempts. Oh, and he ran for 550 yards, too. Working with last or close to last in the conference talent surrounding him.

Ped St is missing a few players on defense, and Arkansas did have one WR who is a baller and high NFL pick (Treylon Burks) who opted out, but I expect Briles and Jefferson to carve up what was a very good Ped St defense this year. I’ll be surprised if they don’t score 30+. Ped St only gave up 30 twice this year, Ohio State got em for 33 and Sparty scored 30. If Briles does it with toilet water SEC talent and no Burks…….
I will watch it.

Advertisement

But FSU bro

Briles is the goods but he's going to upset Canes fans many times the first year.

Good:
- he scores a lot of points fast
-fast tempo catches a lot of defenses out ifof position
-he's 50/50 run pass
- his offense is multiple and can really do anything you want from an offense
-his runs will hit for 9 yards a pop on the regular with a lot of explosive 20+ yard runs (huge holes)
-read option will result in a lot of TVD runs for first downs and scores
- his receivers are high school wide open
-receivers win most of the 50/50 balls
-loves 11 personnel
-loves motion and jet sweeps
-he frequently goes for it on 4th down past the 50
-lots of wheel routes and passes to the flats to keep chains moving (Knighton is going to eat)
- he can recover from a bad call or penalty on next play
- can get first down with 1 & 25 (he will get 8 yards on next 2 plays and then have a 3&1 with 4th down in his back pocket
-throws deep a lot

Bad:
-he scores fast so defense is out there again quickly(, but I think the defense should be focused on 3 and out so that's not his real problem, but Mario might disagree)
-his runs will get stuffed a lot and he will patiently stick with it (Mario will probably like but fans will lose their minds) so you'll see some 3 and outs in the beginning
-previously mentioned big runs will need quick cut back or change in direction (not sure that's Knighton strength)
-need fast receivers because a lot of vertical routes
- do we have that really fast player to run jet sweeps? (Jet sweeps get stuffed on the regular but Briles usually recovers)
-TVD will get rocked a few times in the year
-year 1 he will fail 20% on his 4th down attempts

Ugly:
-OL will get a lot of penalties with holding, off sides, and ineligible receivers downfield
-lot of illegal formation penalties
-loves the trick play (which is good) but only uses double pass (usually receiver)... not sure if we have any receivers that can throw cause some are ugly
-lots of TFL with 6-8 yards lost on the regular (but he will usually have an explosive plays to follow... lots of first downs with 2 &18)
-mario might want him to go run Heavy in 4th quarter to protect a lead which might bite us in the ***

Summary:
Year 1 will be feast or famine until the right players are plugged in. Some 50-60point games, some 20 point games. It will not be 2019 FSU bad, but will probably be 2021 Arkansas where he does amazing some games and gets his s**t stuffed (like Georgia game) with some out of conference fans or ACC championship game.

Year 2 might have the players to run a 2015 Baylor offense and year 3 definitely will, but he might not be around. That 2015 Baylor offense was lethal.

A lot will depend on how aggressive Mario is and if he's willing to run the score up every chance he gets so the offense can get better. Also if he's willing to get Garcia in every 3-4th quarter to run the offense in case he's needed. Also Brown should get 4 games in the 4th and then save the red shirt.

Last edited:
Year 1 will be feast or famine until the right players are plugged in. Some 50-60point games, some 20 point games. It will not be 2019 FSU bad, but will probably be 2021 Arkansas where he does amazing some games and gets his s**t stuffed (like Georgia game) with some out of conference fans or ACC championship game.
If it is Briles, this is 100% what I would expect as well. We saw a lot of this from Lashlee and I think they're pretty comparable. Some games where we're like holy sh*t this offense is elite. Other games where you're left scratching your head wondering if Briles is the guy.

The difference maker will be the QB. Briles has had below average QBs the majority of his career. What happens when you pair him with TVD? I think a lot of the "bad" and "ugly" will be cleared up with TVDs elite level play.

Advertisement
Back