Ken Dorsey = Kliff Kingsbury or Major Applewhite?

Off topic, but I can't believe all these years and Carolina still haven't got Newtown a decent Wr besides Benjamin whom they got in the draft.

Advertisement
Dorsey has a genius IQ. He is brilliant all-around, not just at X's and O's. I think he will be a great OC, but only time will tell.

As for me, I welcome him with open arms and wish him the best if he does land the OC gig.

Lane Kiffin was named OC at USC @ age 30 with considerably less experiece than Dorsey.

1997–1998 Fresno State (assistant)
1999 Colorado State (GA)
2000 Jacksonville Jaguars (OQC)
2001 USC (TE)
2002–2004 USC (WR)
2005–2006 USC (PGC/OC)

Dorsey played in the NFL for 6 years and 2 years as a QB coach. He is overqualified to be a college OC at this point at age 34.

Chud went from TE coach to OC at age 33 and won a national championship in his first year....

1996–2000 University of Miami (Tight ends coach)
2001–2003 University of Miami (Offensive coordinator)

Look at Doug Nussmeier's resume before getting his first OC gig.....

2001 BC Lions (QB)
2002 Ottawa Renegades (QB)
2003–2005 Michigan State (QB)
2006–2007 St. Louis Rams (QB)
2008 Fresno State (OC/QB)
2009–2011 Washington (OC/QB)
2012–2013 Alabama (OC/QB)

Ken is ready.

Question - I've seen Carolina a couple times this year. Their defense and running game carry this team and so does Cam but their passing offense is kind of a mess. People like to talk about the strides that Cam is making but he's also putting up the lowest QBR and Compl% of his career and he has nearly a 1-1 TD-INT ratio. I think he's making smarter decisions at critical times but how much of that is Cam's evolution and how much of that is the QB whisperer?

Can Newton is improving as a NFL because of one reason only and that is Ken Dorsey. Doing a little research will show that, Dorsey tutored Newton at IMG Academy when he was preparing for the draft. Then when he was drafted by Carolina, Newton struggled to learn the offense so the Panthers hired Dorsey as a talent scout specifically to tutor Newton but he needed more direct coaching so Dorsey was promoted to QB Coach. He has polished Newton into an all pro QB from initially being just an option QB.

Link to his profile
Carolina Panthers: Ken Dorsey

As for Dorsey's ability to develop on offense, most of the time he spent in the NFL, teams picked him up as a pseudo QB coach that can be an emergency back up QB player because he understood offenses an could disseminate that information to players with lower FBI's. Dorsey will just fine as OC.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Dorsey is 100% ready to run a college offense.

NFL QB coaches are essentially offensive coordinators. Many make the immediate transition to OC with no problem

Advertisement
Back