Ken Dorsey = Kliff Kingsbury or Major Applewhite?

Noliaboi

Sophomore
Can Ken Dorsey be our Kliff Kingsbury? No not the HC, but a good OC if he comes. Kingsbury and Applewhite both have spent some time under Offensive Gurus. Kingsbury was coached during his playing days by Mike Leach, and groomed as an OC by Kevin Sumlin.

Kingsbury:

2008–2009
Houston (OQC)

2010–2011
Houston (Co-OC/QB)

Texas A&M (OC/QB)

Applewhite:

2003–2004
Texas (GA)

Syracuse (QB)

Rice (OC/QB)

Alabama (OC/QB)

2008–2010
Texas (AHC/RB)

2011–2012
Texas (Co-OC/RB)

2012–2013
Texas (Co-OC/QB)

2015–present
Houston (OC/QB)

Advertisement
Neither. Like all Canes, Ken has done his time in the NFL. Something those two have not.

My question is does Dorsey get consideration because of his resume or cause he played here?

My question is does Dorsey get consideration because of his resume or cause he played here?

Both, he is in the top tier of his profession, his legit next step is OC.
I can't say the same for Mario.
Butch has a long history of HC experience I have to trust his pick

This is one of the traits of a great HC. To pick the right assistant coaches. Jimmy and Butch were the best we have had at this in the past. This was Golden's and Randy's biggest problem.

Advertisement
Always thought guys like Dorsey and Walsh are the type to be better coaches than players.

Like I said in the other thread, it was fine for Chud to go from TE coach in college to OC but people start losing it at the thought of Dorsey going from a successful NFL QB coach to OC. Smdh!

Advertisement
Wasn't our current interim head coach a TE coach? That seems like a bigger jump than NFL QB coach to college OC.

Like I said in the other thread, it was fine for Chud to go from TE coach in college to OC but people start losing it at the thought of Dorsey going from a successful NFL QB coach to OC. Smdh!

Yep.

They always knew what they wanted to do from the QB position but their bodies failed them sometimes.

If the Carolina Panthers QB coach was named Willie Osweiler, no one would want him as the next OC.

Advertisement
I'm not sold on Dorsey, I have no proof that he can install a distinct offensive system whether it be spread, spread option, one back, or Pro style. Teach it to these kids, get the QB to run it from the line of scrimmage like Spurrier does, like Urban does, Like Sumlin does, Like Leach does. If he can do that then great, but until I see something, read something that tells me that he has his own system like these guys and other young coordinators whose learned from these offensive gurus, I wouldn't gamble on him being ready. Enough gambling already dangit

I live and work in sports radio in Charlotte, people are not a big fan of Shula's offense. My question is, if Dorsey becomes OC does he run a Shula style offense, or one he ran under Chud?

Advertisement
I live and work in sports radio in Charlotte, people are not a big fan of Shula's offense. My question is, if Dorsey becomes OC does he run a Shula style offense, or one he ran under Chud?
I think he's too far removed from Chud to run his offense, you would have to think that he runs what he's learned under Shula the past two-three years

Question - I've seen Carolina a couple times this year. Their defense and running game carry this team and so does Cam but their passing offense is kind of a mess. People like to talk about the strides that Cam is making but he's also putting up the lowest QBR and Compl% of his career and he has nearly a 1-1 TD-INT ratio. I think he's making smarter decisions at critical times but how much of that is Cam's evolution and how much of that is the QB whisperer?

Last edited:
Question - I've seen Carolina a couple times this year. Their defense and running game carry this team and so does Cam but their passing offense is kind of a mess. People like to talk about the strides that Cam is making but he's also putting up the lowest QBR and Compl% of his career and he has nearly a 1-1 TD-INT ratio. I think he's making smarter decisions at critical times but how much of that is Cam's evolution and how much of that is the QB whisperer?

Now lets not let the facts get in the way - - love Kenny. Needs to be an OC somewhere else before getting his shot at UM

Carolina's passing game has very little to do with scheme and much more to do with the fact that they give the Todd Stinkston and Freddie Mitchell Eagles receiving core a run for their money when it comes to ineptitude. Not as bad as KC's scrubs, but they're pretty close.

Advertisement
Back