Ken Dorsey as an OC, deserved?

407cane

All-ACC
I posted this in another thread as response to a DMoney post, but I felt that it needed it’s own thread because many want to see Dorsey as an OC

I as a Carolina panther fan(grew up in Charlotte) and Miami hurricanes fan, love the talk about Ken Dorsey as an offensive coordinator.

Dorsey seems to get heavy praise for his work with Newton, by people on this board and even by the NFL Live crew who put him in the MVP discussion

However what people don’t seem to realize is the stats on Cam Newton, even though he’s an mvp candidate because we’re 7-0, he is playing very poorly and his stats are very similar to Kaepernick, who by the way just got benched and will probably be traded or released at the end of the season since his contract is not guaranteed any further.

Newton:
1523 yards
54.2% completion pct
11 td
8 int
78.1 rating
Rushing 64 attempts 286 yds, 4.5 ypc and 4tds

Kaepernick
1615 yards
59.3% completion pct
6 td
5 int
78.8 rating
Rushing 45 attempts 256 yds, 5.7 ypc and 1 td

(also a side note, I know the panthers receiving corps is a dumpster fire, but San Fran isn’t exactly loaded with talent either and Vernon davis was not being utilized efficiently so I just used them as a general comparison)

many see cam as the most athletically gifted player in the NFL. As a panther fan, I’ve been very disappointed in how Dorsey and Shula have utilized him this season and I do NOT think that Dorsey should be an OC at such a big program for his first job, especially when our next staffing hires need to be all around perfect to bring us back from mediocrity and into relevancy again

what do you guys feel about it? and why should Dorsey be the OC just curious is all. I know he learned under Shula however, seems like a big jump, especially if we go with a defensive minded coach

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can you put up how many rushing yards Kaep and Cam each have?

done

similar rushing stats, Kaepernick has the nod in ypc and Newton has 3 more td’s (however this is skewed because every team outside of Carolina uses a RB on the goaline and the panthers choose to use Newton’s massive body so I think he gets more cracks at TD’s than others

Don’t get me wrong,

this post is not to say Kaepernick is as good as Newton. I’m a huge Newton fan and I think he is leaps and bounds better than Kaepernick.

I just posted the stats because it seems to me like Dorsey is getting thrown around by ppl on here as potential OC candidate because of his work with Newton and their offense and I’m just seeing peoples opinions on why that is, when the offense is not exactly taking the league by storm. Are we giving him a pass because of how good he was for us?

edit, sorry mods, did not see the other thread on dorsey, you can close this one

To answer your question, no, it wouldn't be deserved or even wise at this point. I doubt any big time coach would take the chance UNLESS it's an offensive minded coach who could bring him along at his own pace.

I love KD, but he still needs to put more work in before being hired at a high profile job like this.

Advertisement
I posted this in another thread as response to a DMoney post, but I felt that it needed it’s own thread because many want to see Dorsey as an OC

I as a Carolina panther fan(grew up in Charlotte) and Miami hurricanes fan, love the talk about Ken Dorsey as an offensive coordinator.

Dorsey seems to get heavy praise for his work with Newton, by people on this board and even by the NFL Live crew who put him in the MVP discussion

However what people don’t seem to realize is the stats on Cam Newton, even though he’s an mvp candidate because we’re 7-0, he is playing very poorly and his stats are very similar to Kaepernick, who by the way just got benched and will probably be traded or released at the end of the season since his contract is not guaranteed any further.

Newton:
1523 yards
54.2% completion pct
11 td
8 int
78.1 rating
Rushing 64 attempts 286 yds, 4.5 ypc and 4tds

Kaepernick
1615 yards
59.3% completion pct
6 td
5 int
78.8 rating
Rushing 45 attempts 256 yds, 5.7 ypc and 1 td

(also a side note, I know the panthers receiving corps is a dumpster fire, but San Fran isn’t exactly loaded with talent either and Vernon davis was not being utilized efficiently so I just used them as a general comparison)

many see cam as the most athletically gifted player in the NFL. As a panther fan, I’ve been very disappointed in how Dorsey and Shula have utilized him this season and I do NOT think that Dorsey should be an OC at such a big program for his first job, especially when our next staffing hires need to be all around perfect to bring us back from mediocrity and into relevancy again

what do you guys feel about it? and why should Dorsey be the OC just curious is all. I know he learned under Shula however, seems like a big jump, especially if we go with a defensive minded coach

What people don't see when they google KD's experience is that he was hired in 2011 to teach Cam, Chud's offense during the lockout. Coaching isn't about what you know, it's about what you can TEACH! I've said this many of times on this board that i have had the chance to see KD work up close and in person. He is legit, he knows his ****, he knows how to teach, but most importantly he has feel for the game.....The great coordinators have a feel for how they want to attack and how the other team wants to stop them. He has that natural gift. It's hard to describe, but if you know what you're looking for you know it when you see it. Call it the "IT" factor. KD has it.

His title might have been "advanced Scout" for 2 years starting in 2011, but he has been Cam's guiding influence throughout his career. Has Cam Newton done more in the NFL than most people predicted? I'd say yes. He has steadily progressed? I'd say yes. Do you realize that the difference between 300 more yards and his completion percentage being higher is about 10 dropped passes? **** i saw 2 during MNF that could've went for 80+ yards that Ginn and Olsen flat out dropped when cam threw a dime....AND I HATE CAM! People need to stop looking at the 8-9 games this year, get the facts, and start looking at what KD has done for an immature, non accurate, run first, lousy passing QB. Cam has by far and away exceed what people thought he would be in the NFL. Would you not agree?

The thing i don't get about our fan base is this......everyone wants Butch, but he is AVERAGE as a real coach. Amazing recruiter and amazing at seeing what people can become. Why don't you want KD? When KD was a pro they said he was the worst gifted QB on any roster, but he was the smartest, always knew where to throw the ball, always knew how to read a D. Why wouldn't you want someone who can TEACH, GET IT TEACH someone to do that?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back