Kelly out

Can you give me an example of teams that go 4-deep at DE with P4 production?
Of course not. This discussion happens every off season. It’s college football. It’s impossible to have experienced depth at every position. You’re always going to have first and second year players in the two deep at some positions. These guys think if your 4th defense end hasn’t played a ton, you’re in trouble.

Advertisement
+ Wayne played well as a TrFR
+ Lightfoot will contribute this season.
+ McConathy will start to contribute next season.
+ Bryant will get plenty of snaps this season with Alston.

What’s wrong with the room? What’s missing?

Nothing. These dudes think you need 4 Reggie White’s to beat Virginia. Nonsense. Show me a more talented edge group, on paper, in the conference. Yes, some of the kids are young. Hit on your evals and development. Any coach in the ACC would trade their group for this one in a heartbeat. I’m not saying shut out UGA. I’m saying beat Pittsburgh.

Nothing. These dudes think you need 4 Reggie White’s to beat Virginia. Nonsense. Show me a more talented edge group, on paper, in the conference. Yes, some of the kids are young. Hit on your evals and development. Any coach in the ACC would trade their group for this one in a heartbeat. I’m not saying shut out UGA. I’m saying beat Pittsburgh.
Are "these dudes" the coaching staff?

Are "these dudes" the coaching staff?

They’re the chicken Little’s here thinking losing Kelly is some major detriment to the team. He’s a solid player. I wish he stayed. You don’t get better by losing solid players. But there’s more than enough in that room to reach every goal that I feel is realistic for the program this year. Get it done.

Still don't want Height really. But from what I can see the positivez of getting Height are:

A) he understands he's coming to be a situational pass rusher

B) only has 1yr eligibility at a position we are stacking talent and don't want to portal in a JAG with 2+yrs eligibility.

C) would be cheap to no cost.

Advertisement
Assuming we want to completely bank on Alston as proven and Mesidor as healthy...still need another proven guy if we want to make a playoff push, which we absolutely need to do this season (otherwise that recruiting pitch starts falling flat).
The one thing you aren’t taking into consideration is that Bain is so good that he raises the floor of that entire room. Add in Messidor and Alston who are both proven and experienced and the 4th guy doesn’t need to be a stud. ****, Wayne and Height fighting for that last slot will more then suffice.

We don’t need the 2001/2002 DE rotation to win the **** ACC or **** even win 10 games especially with this schedule.

I wish him the best of luck as long as it’s not FSU. Someone was leaving from the DE room.

Man that 2022 class was BAD for us. Updated tracker…

Cyrus Moss, 4* (#57 overall). Gone

Nyjalik Kelly, 4* (#87 overall). Gone

Jaleel Skinner, 4* (#100 overall). Gone

Chris Graves, 4* (#125 overall). Gone

Tre’Vonte Citizen, 4* (#133 overall). Injuries and unknowns

Khamauri Rogers, 4* (#159 overall).
Gone

Wes Bissanthe, 4* (#206 overall). Decent thus far.

Markeith Williams, 4* (#246 overall). Depth thus far.

Jacurri Brown, 4* (#263 overall). Transfer candidate.

Isaiah Horton, 4* (#372 overall). WR3/4 entering 2024.

Jaden Harris, 3* (#541 overall). Finally going to earn starter snaps, remains to be seen what he’s capable of.

Matthew McCoy, 3* (#736 overall). Depth

Ahmad Moten, 3* (#558 overall).
Has Hardly played.

Colbie Young, 3* (JUCO). Gone

Anez Cooper, 3* (couldn’t find Nat’l #, but #235 OL): Stud.
Excellent report man.

Advertisement
Clemson maybe, but that’s it really. But I might be thinking of their DTs honestly.

The one thing you aren’t taking into consideration is that Bain is so good that he raises the floor of that entire room. Add in Messidor and Alston who are both proven and experienced and the 4th guy doesn’t need to be a stud. ****, Wayne and Height fighting for that last slot will more then suffice.

We don’t need the 2001/2002 DE rotation to win the **** ACC or **** even win 10 games especially with this schedule.
But as soon as one of Bain and Mesidor goes down things get scary in a hurry.

Advertisement
That’s fine. I agree with you.

But there are limited roster spots and $.

Where do you cut resources and players to feed DE that is already deep?
I think after spring there will be enough attrition to add at least 1 DE. As for the $$ , well every major program is in that boat, and they can't all command 800k.

Advertisement
1713913765182.png

Advertisement
Back