Kayaa and the learning curve

101bat

Redshirt Freshman
Seems everyone is down on Kayaa and even though he is a junior many seem to overlook the fact that he is now learning how to play chess on the fly

With Coley he was playing checkers.. go to the line everyone stands up looks over to the sideline and get their assignments and calls

With Richt however Kayaa is responsible for all of that at the line of scrimmage and that has slowed him down dramatically so far this year, his accuracy has never been better though

The "rpo" is killing him because it seems that he is having a hard time adjusting to the responsibilities of a pro-style attack(like when he almost got Richards killed instead of handing the ball off)... scan the D, help o-line pick up blocking assignments, switch play change wr routes, adjust protections, read safeties, trust the o-line get snap and deliver the ball

Our qb is not broken, he doesn't suck and he's not damaged..... He's learning

He's only had the spring and fall to study and implement the ideas of being a real QB and playing the game within the game

In high school and his time at the U with Coley he was never asked to do what Richt is trying to teach and get him comfortable to do and in such a short period of time

HE may not get it this year I just hope we can out talent the remaining teams on the schedule and the D continues to handcuff people

Advertisement
Seems everyone is down on Kayaa and even though he is a junior many seem to overlook the fact that he is now learning how to play chess on the fly

With Coley he was playing checkers.. go to the line everyone stands up looks over to the sideline and get their assignments and calls

With Richt however Kayaa is responsible for all of that at the line of scrimmage and that has slowed him down dramatically so far this year, his accuracy has never been better though

The "rpo" is killing him because it seems that he is having a hard time adjusting to the responsibilities of a pro-style attack(like when he almost got Richards killed instead of handing the ball off)... scan the D, help o-line pick up blocking assignments, switch play change wr routes, adjust protections, read safeties, trust the o-line get snap and deliver the ball

Our qb is not broken, he doesn't suck and he's not damaged..... He's learning

He's only had the spring and fall to study and implement the ideas of being a real QB and playing the game within the game

In high school and his time at the U with Coley he was never asked to do what Richt is trying to teach and get him comfortable to do and in such a short period of time

HE may not get it this year I just hope we can out talent the remaining teams on the schedule and the D continues to handcuff people

I agree with most of this but regardless of the system, Brad's a three year starter that should know better than to throw the pass that ended up being a pick. He should know to throw that ball away and live to fight another day. I don't feel like this loss falls squarely on him but that was a key moment in the game that clearly the momentum swung to the noles. I'm still a big time believer in Brad's arm, that 4th down throw was amazing.... But his inability to extend plays and his 1 bone headed decision per game is going to be the death of us.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted this because I was thinking the same thing. He is having problems under center so I believe Richt is doing shotgun RPO to help him out. He should get better as the season goes on. He really needs to stay for his senior season though.

Advertisement
He is a stat boy, always has been. He puts up a lot of numbers, but can't win big games. He choked bad Saturday night. Richt did him no favors, but Brad needed to step up and he folded.

It doesn't take much to know not to hand the ball off on an RPO against a stacked box, but Kaya Wright did it repeatedly.

It doesn't take much to know not to hand the ball off on an RPO against a stacked box, but Kaya Wright did it repeatedly.

I wish I knew how to post video but if you look at the sequence on offense as a snap shot this is what you would see

Kayaa has the offense ready Coley, Njoku and Richards to the top... Richards points at Pugh who lined up 3 yds off but is pointing so you think he's coming, McFadden (#4) comes down over Njoku showing man late... Kayaa recognizes after a 3rd quick glance that McFadden has shown Man 2 Man coverage Kayaa should have actually been called for a false start because he's attempting to change protection but the ball is snapped which he bobbles hands to Walton and is clearly unhappy because he still had 16 seconds left on the play clock to change play and protection

4th down same exact personnel except Coley and Njoku have switched
...FSU give the exact same look except McFadden shows early Kayaa quick snaps as everyone is in max protect.. Darling steps out stands up Pugh and Walton stands up #18
Kayaa throws a perfect pass and McFadden has no idea where the ball is until Coley is pounding his chest at the fans

As soon as Richt gets the game to slow down for Kayaa this offense will be prolific

Advertisement
I'd rate him as

Elite - His accuarcy is as good as it gets, and he's smart. He can pick a team apart when he's given time in the pocket (when given time).

Good - Making the right reads, going through progressions, awareness of down/distance/clock game situations. He's "good" at all of this right now, but there's room to get better. Working with Richt and more game experience will continue improvement. Just takes time.

Average - Arm strength and deep balls. Arm is fine for college, but it'll be a concern in the pros. His deep balls tend to be off.

Bad - Handling a pass rush & pressure situations. He needs to anticipate/feel the pass rush better since he doesn't have the mobility to avoid it. I think this can improve, but it's very hard to learn. QB's usually just have a "feel" for it. He doesn't "step up" in pressure game situations. He hasn't led any comeback victories. I think this is something that's in a QB's DNA or it isn't, and Kaaya doesn't seem to have it.

Advertisement
Back