Karl Dorrell to Colorado

a51

Rather surprised that there doesn't seem to be a thread about this.

Really have to lol at Colorado about this awful hire. This guy isn't even OC material.

Advertisement
It’s weird as they used to have some awesome teams. They’ve been irrelevant since the early 2000s. The school and location have a lot of unique selling points too (BYU’s beauty minus the dogma and more weed). Just odd all around.

Really have to lol at Colorado about this awful hire. This guy isn't even OC material.

Nowhere near as bad as the MSU hire of Mel Tucker

Imagine paying 5k for Mel Tucker...I can't even wrap my head around that.

Dorrell started out coaching at Colorado under Bill McCartney & coached again for them during the Neuheisel era.

Him & Dino Babers both started out coaching back in the early 90's at Northern Arizona & when Dorrell got hired at UCLA he hired Babers on his staff coaching RB's & WR's.

He had a 10 win season at UCLA in 05, when he had Maurice Jones-Drew, Marcedes Lewis & Drew Olson.

But he had been out of college for 5 years now, definitely didn't expect him to get a HC job. I think they hired him because so many other options turned them down & he's an old Colorado guy so their admin has familiarity with him.

It's difficult recruiting at Colorado, he's gonna have to win by finding good X's & O's coaches & beat teams by out scheming them. If he hires the right OC he could be solid in a few years, but otherwise he'll probably end up stepping down after a couple of losing seasons.

Dorrell started out coaching at Colorado under Bill McCartney & coached again for them during the Neuheisel era.

Him & Dino Babers both started out coaching back in the early 90's at Northern Arizona & when Dorrell got hired at UCLA he hired Babers on his staff coaching RB's & WR's.

He had a 10 win season at UCLA in 05, when he had Maurice Jones-Drew, Marcedes Lewis & Drew Olson.

But he had been out of college for 5 years now, definitely didn't expect him to get a HC job. I think they hired him because so many other options turned them down & he's an old Colorado guy so their admin has familiarity with him.

It's difficult recruiting at Colorado, he's gonna have to win by finding good X's & O's coaches & beat teams by out scheming them. If he hires the right OC he could be solid in a few years, but otherwise he'll probably end up stepping down after a couple of losing seasons.
wasn,t he just on the dolphins staff?

Advertisement
Karl is a one of the nicest and most genuine individuals that I have ever had a chance to work with. He truly is a football mind I am concerned with how he is going to handle recruiting as he has been out of that game for a while but i have heard he will have a very large assistant coach pool.

He had a huge influence on Devante's breakthrough season and will be missed inside the dolphin organization come next season. He is a players coach and will have a great relationship with them.

I believe that Colorado made a great hire and coach dorrell will have that program continuing in the right direction.

Advertisement

It was included in the EB thread.............................but carry on.

LOL, I remember we laughed at LSU for hiring Orgeron, how'd that work out?

Does anybody outside of tigerdroppings really think that Ed Orgeron is a good coach?

Something tells me that the rest of Orgeron's tenure might be Gene Chizik like.

Karl is a one of the nicest and most genuine individuals that I have ever had a chance to work with. He truly is a football mind I am concerned with how he is going to handle recruiting as he has been out of that game for a while but i have heard he will have a very large assistant coach pool.

He had a huge influence on Devante's breakthrough season and will be missed inside the dolphin organization come next season. He is a players coach and will have a great relationship with them.

I believe that Colorado made a great hire and coach dorrell will have that program continuing in the right direction.

I'm sure he's a good WR coach and that he'll be a loss for the Dolphins. That doesn't mean that he's head coaching material.

The job market doesn't even think he's OC material.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm sure he's a good WR coach and that he'll be a loss for the Dolphins. That doesn't mean that he's head coaching material.
From what I know I believe he has all the tools to be a successful HC at the college level. And that includes me seeing how has operates and handles himself on a daily basis.

Back when he was HC at UCLA he took that program to 5 straight bowl games something that hasn't been done in over 30 years. landing at CU is a good spot for him to be able to succeed as my previous post said my only question would be recruiting for him but he has the pool to be able to bring in one or two guys with experience to help with that

Last edited:
Does anybody outside of tigerdroppings really think that Ed Orgeron is a good coach?

Something tells me that the rest of Orgeron's tenure might be Gene Chizik like.

Excluding His stint at Ole Miss, His HCing career has been on the ascent.

Excluding His stint at Ole Miss, His HCing career has been on the ascent.

And Gene Chizik's HC career was on the ascent after the 2010 season.

We'll see what happens with Orgeron, but I think the consensus outside the LSU fanbase is that the national championship was in spite of him. Basically a great QB and an extremely expensive staff. (Much of which has now left.)

They're basically stuck with Orgeron because of that massive extension they gave him, in any case.

Advertisement
And Gene Chizik's HC career was on the ascent after the 2010 season.

We'll see what happens with Orgeron, but I think the consensus outside the LSU fanbase is that the national championship was in spite of him. Basically a great QB and an extremely expensive staff. (Much of which has now left.)

True, but you can say the same thing about Saban & Swinney. Not saying Dorell's gonna knock it out the park, but some coaches can learn from a negative coaching experience.

True, but you can say the same thing about Saban & Swinney. Not saying Dorell's gonna knock it out the park, but some coaches can learn from a negative coaching experience.

Saban and Swiney only got expensive staffs after they had already achieved success. Orgeron was given a super expensive staff when he was first hired at LSU after having gone 3-21 in the SEC at a previous job. See the difference?

I think LSU is probably the only school in America that would be willing to splurge on assistants for a coach who had failed that miserably at his only previous permanent head coaching job.

Last edited:
Saban and Swiney only got expensive staffs after they had already achieved success. Orgeron was given a super expensive staff when he was first hired at LSU after having gone 3-21 in the SEC at a previous job. See the difference?

I think LSU is probably the only school in America that would be willing to splurge on assistants for a coach who had failed miserably at his only previous permanent head coaching job.

Orgeron also went 6-2 at USC, including a bowl win, the beginning of His ascent. Bet USC wished they hired em', and the guy is an elite recruiter.

Salute to Coach Dorrell!

Advertisement
Back