Kaaya: Shotgun, Spread O. 0n! 2nd Units Ballin' w/depth

Cane2

Band
Banned
“It’s what I do a lot in high school and growing up in California, a lot of shotgun,” UM Brad Kaaya said. “It’s good, it gets me back there so I can see the whole field and scan everything out, especially for passing situations. It also spreads the run out too.”

The Hurricanes used a number of looks on offense with quarterback Brad Kaaya getting plenty of time in the both the shotgun and pistol early, while still getting some snaps directly under center. The sophomore started out a bit shaky, but improved as his night went on eventually completing 16 of his 27 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns. Saturday’s opener marked the 14th consecutive game in which Kaaya has thrown a touchdown and as the Hurricanes prepare for their game against FAU, every expectation is that that trend will continue – especially with Kaaya comfortable in seemingly all of the formations Miami runs with him on the field. Added offensive coordinator James Coley, “We liked some of the stuff that we did in the gun, so we game-planned around the gun. That was it … I think [Kaaya] is comfortable in both.”

Like Kaaya, reserve Malik Rosier, who made his Hurricanes debut, said he’s comfortable both in the shot gun and under center. He and Kaaya are roommates and Rosier shared Tuesday that there are plenty of nights the two quarterbacks spend time at home discussing Miami’s offensive strategy and how to help each and their playmakers improve.

“Me and Brad come home and we’re like, ‘We have such good players on our team,’” Rosier said. “That’s honestly our goal, for every play, just to get the ball in our playmakers hands and we feel like this year, spreading it out a little more, we have great receivers, great backs, getting them in open space and making one-on-one matchups is our goal. I think versus Bethune, we did a great job of doing that.”

*For several years, the Hurricanes have used color-coded jerseys to designate which players are injured or limited in practice. But on Tuesday, Coley said as Miami continues gaining more experience with its GPS technology, yellow jerseys no longer necessarily designate that a player is injured. Instead, it could merely be an indication to coaches of which players have had high play counts in recent practices and may need their work load eased.

Receiver Rashawn Scott, who had six catches for 100 yards but did not appear to have been injured in Saturday’s game against Bethune wore a yellow jersey in practice, prompting the discussion with Coley. “We’ve got a whole different color code now for that stuff because of the GPS system,” Coley said. “It means there’s really smart people making those calls…it could be a guy who’s nicked up. You might see four guys in yellow, one guy might be nicked up, the other three might have too [many] miles on them. We’re aware of them, to yield. That’s what it’s supposed to mean…you yield at yellow. That’s some of the guys we’re taking care of because of how they’re practicing on the practice field.”

That said, receiver Stacy Coley -- who injured his hamstring against Bethune and did not practice Monday -- was also a limited participant in Tuesday's workout and Golden said there is a chance he could play Friday against FAU. It's more unlikely that receiver Braxton Berrios (knee) will play Friday, though no official decision has been made on his status yet, though Golden did say Tuesday that surgery has not been an option for Berrios' in discussions with doctors.
*Twenty-six Hurricanes debuted on Saturday against the Wildcats and several have shared some of their memories of that moment. For some, there were slight nerves or butterflies, but for one – running back Mark Walton – there wasn’t much time to think when Miami’s coaches called on him to get on the field for his first play.

“Joe [Yearby’s] shoe came off and I just had to go straight in,” Walton said. “I wasn’t even in the huddle. I just had to run in there. … it caught me by surprise. But I’m going to try and take his shoes next time.”

Coaches have – even in the weeks since training camp ended – stated that reserves continue to push for playing time and starting jobs are always in flux. One group that has earned praise since the opener? The Hurricanes second offensive line unit, particularly Kc McDermott and Joe Brown. Tuesday, both continue pushing for playing time.

Advertisement
For several years, the Hurricanes have used color-coded jerseys to designate which players are injured or limited in practice. But on Tuesday, Coley said as Miami continues gaining more experience with its GPS technology, yellow jerseys no longer necessarily designate that a player is injured. Instead, it could merely be an indication to coaches of which players have had high play counts in recent practices and may need their work load eased.

not.jpg

Whatever they did against mighty Bethune worked incredibly well on offense. So I think more of the same is in order as we move forward.

Sports Miami Hurricanes
Hurricanes receivers Braxton Berrios, Stacy Coley out Friday against FAU
In the days immediately after receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley were hurt in the Hurricanes’ opener against Bethune-Cookman, Miami coach Al Golden said he felt the team was fortunate to avoid serious injuries to both players, who would be evaluated daily ahead of Friday’s game at FAU.

And though Coley, who hurt his hamstring, was a limited participant in Tuesday’s practice and according to Golden had more of a chance to play against the Owls than Berrios, who hurt his knee, the coach announced Wednesday that neither would play in Miami’s second game of the season.

“Both of them are doing great and doing a really nice job, but I don’t think either one of them are going to be able to make it for Friday,” Golden said during his weekly appearance on the ACC football coaches teleconference. “Very pleased with both of them on the field today. Obviously, we knew Braxton was out going into [Wednesday] morning and we just wanted to see where Stacy was before we released, so I guess this is officially releasing it. After watching him out there today, he’s close and maybe would have an outside shot, but I would say he’s out right now.”

Without Berrios and Coley, both of whom left Saturday’s 45-0 win over Bethune-Cookman in the first quarter, the Hurricanes will likely turn to Rashawn Scott, who had six catches for 100 yards with a touchdown against the Wildcats and turn to Herb Waters, whom Golden has said he’d like to see more involved. Malcolm Lewis could also get more touches with quarterback Brad Kaaya also distributing the ball to his tight ends group, including Stan Dobard, who recorded the first touchdown of his college career with a 5-yard grab on Miami’s first possession of the season.

Both Berrios and Coley are also two of the Hurricanes’ top punt returners. In their absence Saturday, corner Corn Elder shone, with three returns for 78 yards, including a 72-yard touchdown return. He had another 70-yard touchdown return negated by a penalty.

After Friday’s game at FAU, the Hurricanes will host Nebraska on Sept. 19.

Sports Miami Hurricanes
Hurricanes receivers Braxton Berrios, Stacy Coley out Friday against FAU
In the days immediately after receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley were hurt in the Hurricanes’ opener against Bethune-Cookman, Miami coach Al Golden said he felt the team was fortunate to avoid serious injuries to both players, who would be evaluated daily ahead of Friday’s game at FAU.

And though Coley, who hurt his hamstring, was a limited participant in Tuesday’s practice and according to Golden had more of a chance to play against the Owls than Berrios, who hurt his knee, the coach announced Wednesday that neither would play in Miami’s second game of the season.

“Both of them are doing great and doing a really nice job, but I don’t think either one of them are going to be able to make it for Friday,” Golden said during his weekly appearance on the ACC football coaches teleconference. “Very pleased with both of them on the field today. Obviously, we knew Braxton was out going into [Wednesday] morning and we just wanted to see where Stacy was before we released, so I guess this is officially releasing it. After watching him out there today, he’s close and maybe would have an outside shot, but I would say he’s out right now.”

Without Berrios and Coley, both of whom left Saturday’s 45-0 win over Bethune-Cookman in the first quarter, the Hurricanes will likely turn to Rashawn Scott, who had six catches for 100 yards with a touchdown against the Wildcats and turn to Herb Waters, whom Golden has said he’d like to see more involved. Malcolm Lewis could also get more touches with quarterback Brad Kaaya also distributing the ball to his tight ends group, including Stan Dobard, who recorded the first touchdown of his college career with a 5-yard grab on Miami’s first possession of the season.

Both Berrios and Coley are also two of the Hurricanes’ top punt returners. In their absence Saturday, corner Corn Elder shone, with three returns for 78 yards, including a 72-yard touchdown return. He had another 70-yard touchdown return negated by a penalty.

After Friday’s game at FAU, the Hurricanes will host Nebraska on Sept. 19.

As they should be against FAU. No sense in risking further injury.

Advertisement
Very pleased with both of them on the field today.

I know Golden is so full of **** his eyes should be brown, but if this is a truthful statement, then it means both Coley and Berrios were out on the field today. Great news.

****, every high school team in america is now running their offense in shotgun. If its not shotgun, its some gimmicky **** like the wishbone or wing t. You hardly evrr see any i form, split or, single back offenses anymore.

****, every high school team in america is now running their offense in shotgun. If its not shotgun, its some gimmicky **** like the wishbone or wing t. You hardly evrr see any i form, split or, single back offenses anymore.

So what do you really want? UM to keep running their pro style every thing offense and lose games left and right? Or to win games with whatever gimmicky college teams are winning with? Do you want players to know pro style game and ball in the NFL or do you want players to empty themselves here & win big but not really make it to NFL-U. You choose, but you can't have your cake and eat it.

So what do you really want? UM to keep running their pro style every thing offense and lose games left and right? Or to win games with whatever gimmicky college teams are winning with? Do you want players to know pro style game and ball in the NFL or do you want players to empty themselves here & win big but not really make it to NFL-U. You choose, but you can't have your cake and eat it.
Cool, thanks for your analysis!

Advertisement

Huh?? Dude all i was doing was replying to kaaya's comment about being in shotgun alot in high school. I didnt say nothing was wrong with that. Soon, kids will come into college not knowing how to do a seven or five step drop correctly, so you will have no choice but to back him up. Its probably happening now. As far as teams running gimmicky offenses, if thats what win you games then by all means run it. Shid, armwood use to smash us in the mouth running the veer all game from the wing t. Plant was one of the first teams in the county to really open it up and sling the ball around every play with marve and they went on an amazing run over the years. Now just about every team in hillsborough county runs a spread.

Last edited:
Perfect timing to get some experience for Cager and Nojoku some time as the slot receiver...Hey whatever throws the other side off....

Advertisement
Back