K9Cane's Korner - Sleepless in Shreveport

View as article

k9cane

Senior
OK, gonna try and get this over with as quickly as possible because quite frankly, I can't take anymore and honestly, I'm glad this clusterbomb of a season is over. Bottom line, this season was a disaster and absolutely inexcusable on all fronts and Al Golden at many other institutions would be relieved of his duties. If it was my call - he'd be given his pink slip. Simple as that. There, I said it. He needed to come up and build upon last year, instead the reverse took place and a team loaded with upperclass talent finished at 6-7 after falling to a mediocre South Carolina squad in Shreveport in the Independence Bowl by a score of 24-21.

Some thoughts on this wretched end to this 2014 campaign...

- As UM squandered two opportunities early and kicked field goals to go up 6-0, you had that sinking feeling this was going to bite them in the backside and that's precisely what happened as the Gamecocks exploded in the 2nd quarter with several big plays against a secondary that was letting receivers run free all over the field.

For the most part, Miami played at a slow grinding pace and quite frankly, it was boring. This, is Al Golden Football. Again, do kids want to play this style of ball( on either offense or defense?)

- Yeah, I get it, this was Duke's last hurrah, but this game plan was sewerage. The play calling was conservative to a point that it never really exploited the fact that they did in fact, establish the run but that was never really layered with play-action downfield on early downs. This game should've been about transitioning into the Brad Kaaya era, IMO, not just running 8 into the ground for the edification of the NFL scouts. Perhaps that is second guessing but lets be honest, Duke is leaving, this team is 6-6, the only thing this program has is the future( whatever that may be).

That last TD drive by Miami I hope is what will be the template for next years Canes offense.

- I found Andre Ware to be really good today in this sense, he wasn't afraid to say a lot of things about this years Miami's team both from a schematic standpoint and philosophically. It echoed a lot of things that fans/observers have stated all year. A lot of network guys shy away from such talk, he didn't. My hats off to him. Because again, this year is a complete indictment on Al Golden and this staff.

- So according to Todd McShay, 5 of the top 100 NFL draft prospects are Hurricanes. And yet, this team went 6-7. Just let that sink in. The upcoming NFL Draft in May will not be a good luck for this staff. And here's the scary part, while guys like Kaaya will be improved and develop, who can adequately replace the likes of Denzel Perryman( the heart and soul of the D) and the best deep threat( Phillip Dorsett)? If there was ever a year where Golden was going to take a significant step at Miami, this was it.

- And that's about all I can muster. It's been a long year, an incredibly disappointing one. How this administration sticks by Golden is beyond me. I had high hopes for the guy, but there comes a time when you have to cut bait and cut your losses. The question is: does Miami care enough to make a move?

6-7.

Happy f'n New Years everybody.....

Advertisement
IMO Andre Ware was awful. A lot more guys trash miami from as scheme standpoint because the things we do are shocking their conscious since it doesn't fit the style of our players.

We 10000% messed up the skai Moore situation but he was talking about how South Carolina had a relationship with Moore for two years. They offered him a month before signing day. He also said Moore went to Cooper City when he went to University School.

Then he switched his stance on something with duke and the taunting penalty within 5 minutes. It's either one or the other

To add to that, he was drooling over golden and said we are goin be a great team next year. If we can't be a good team with 10 players with draftable grades how the **** are we going to be a good team when we lose all those guys and have to plug in inexperienced players while continuing to hinder the strengths of our personnel. Very few national media heads spend the time to actually research and learn about the current proglems and strengths of the team and just hop on the hot topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 3 types of coaches
1. Guys that maximize and squeeze the very most out of a roster
2. Guys that are mediocre and coach to the talent they have.
3. Guys that ****** and make players and the team look and play worse than the talent they have.
I would be happy with # 2 at the moment. This guy will never get another HC gig again.

IMO Andre Ware was awful. A lot more guys trash miami from as scheme standpoint because the things we do are shocking their conscious since it doesn't fit the style of our players.

We 10000% messed up the skai Moore situation but he was talking about how South Carolina had a relationship with Moore for two years. They offered him a month before signing day. He also said Moore went to Cooper City when he went to University School.

Then he switched his stance on something with duke and the taunting penalty within 5 minutes.

To add to that, he was drooling over golden and said we are goin be a great team next year. If we can't be a good team with 10 players with draftable grades how the **** are we going to be a good team when we lose all those guys and have to plug in inexperienced players while continuing to hinder the strengths of our personnel. Very few national media heads spend the time to actually research and learn about the current proglems and strengths of the team and just hop on the hot topics.

Kyle, I absolutely agree with you on Ware's statement about next years team and the current state of the program, I was like,Uhhhh, yeah, not really.

But I thought he was right on about some of the play-calling and why UM wasn't more aggressive on defense, etc.

Then he switched his stance on something with duke and the taunting penalty within 5 minutes.

Kyle, I absolutely agree with you on Ware's statement about next years team and the current state of the program, I was like,Uhhhh, yeah, not really.

But I thought he was right on about some of the play-calling and why UM wasn't more aggressive on defense, etc.

I agree he was right on with pointing our deficiencies but his bad points were too much to overcome imo

Advertisement
This clown would lose 3 to 4 games if he had the 2001 team. This guy is over his head but it is hard to blame him when the AD, The troll and the BOT are ok with this crap.

Advertisement

Then he switched his stance on something with duke and the taunting penalty within 5 minutes. It's either one or the other

skai moore stuff - potato, potato! He was on point the whole game. Al and his staff continues to suck! zone defense with the guys we have!!! No creativity at all with the blitz package.

Honestly we're past the point of being so embarrassing to our last 30 years history that I'm all in on shutting the program down entirely and rebooting as an independent in a few years. What an abomination. The university should be embarrassed, not (simply) for the lack of winning, but for the continuous spin job that it shovels its fans who know we can do much better. Makes me sick.

Advertisement
Honestly we're past the point of being so embarrassing to our last 30 years history that I'm all in on shutting the program down entirely and rebooting as an independent in a few years. What an abomination. The university should be embarrassed, not (simply) for the lack of winning, but for the continuous spin job that it shovels its fans who know we can do much better. Makes me sick.

****, you wanna go the Alexander Wolff route?

But yeah, I hear ya, the apathy of this administration is alarming on many fronts

Advertisement
I remember years ago having a conversation about how bad shalala was gonna be for the football program with friends. Just last week they said ur right . Glad she is leaving .

Agree with the Golden assessment. Enough already. This was a team with weapons that went unused too often. It was a an offense that lacked a rhythm and explosive creativeness, and the defense was inconsistent. And as great as Duke was when looking at his stats, he fumbled too often in critical situations.

Advertisement
Back