K9Cane's Korner - Disaster in Charlottesville

View as article

k9cane

Senior
Again, sorry for the tardiness but I had to watch the fights last night and during the late stages of Manny Pacquiao's bludgeoning of the overwhelmed Chris Algieri I thought to myself, 'who took a worse beating tonight, Algieri or the Hurricanes?" The only difference is that Algieri was supposed to be handily defeated by 'the Pac Man' as he was originally listed as a 15-1 underdog. Miami on the other hand was the betting favorite and was playing a team that was on a four-game skid.

And they got hammered 30-13.

Nothing more really needs to be said.

This was perhaps the worst loss of Al Golden's tenure but not really based on the margin of defeat( yeah, there have been much worse, such as Kansas St. in 2012) but in just how they played and essentially fell apart after taking a 7-0 lead. They were steadily body punched and then socked in the mouth. Any goodwill that might have come from the excruciatingly close loss to the Noles the week before has evaporated.

I have no clue if Golden is on the hot seat, but the seat should certainly be warmer after this past Saturday night. A team with this much talent shouldn't have anywhere near five losses.

Some other random thoughts on this debacle...

- If there was one player who played a decent game is Denzel Perryman, who I thought was his usual self. He pursued sideline-to-sideline and really brought the heat. He is as good a striker as there is in the country. It's too bad his intensity wasn't matched by many other of his teammates.

- The O-line which had really made great strides throughout the season really took a giant step backward versus UVa. They couldn't consistently open up running lanes for Duke and Brad Kaaya was hit more than at anytime this season. There were a few short yardage situations where Miami failed to convert which were key. True freshman, Trevor Darling really struggled outside in pass pro. Jon Feliciano, who has had a really nice senior year, lost his composure last night.

- Last I checked, the Cavs didn't have Herman Moore and Germane Crowell outside and it was frustrating to see the Miami defense really play this soft, bend-but-don't-break style and not press a bit more and bring pressures. Once again, it was a slow bleed and it was frustrating to see Miami just give up one first down after another and the offense just languishing on the sideline. I've noticed that Golden coached games are often like this: a really slow tempo where the clock just grinds away steadily and the offense doesn't get a ton of possessions.

- This Miami team is 6-5, that's simply inexcusable and the proof will show in May at the NFL Draft. Just watch, Miami will be very well represented with guys like Perryman, Dorsett, Walford, Duke, etc. Again, out of all the teams that defeated UM this season, which squad had more pure talent? This is an indictment on the coaching.

- A familiar theme of this season: another special teams bust. This time down 10-7 right before the half and Michael Badgely kick gets blocked and taken back inside the UM five where the Cavs eventually make it a 13-7 halftime lead. Correct me if Im wrong but it seemed like Sonny Odogwu didn't even come out of his stance and the guy in front of him blocked the kick. From opening night in Louisville, special teams have been problematic and haven't improved all that much. And yeah, it's Golden who coaches that unit, right?

Outside of that, I can't bring myself to write much more. This season comes to a merciful end on (black) Friday night.

-

Advertisement
On the blocked kick it wasn't just Odogwu. The entire left side of the OL stayed in their stance. We hit rewind several times to try to figure out what the **** they were doing.

Advertisement
Al and Dorito know where bodies have been buried. They have picks of Shallala standing up to **** and Blake sitting down to ****. These are the only reasons I can think of why a sorry POS SOB coach like golden gets an extension after going 6-6 and then does not get fired for not showing up on the job.

What a ******* horrible experience it is to be a fan of this great program. ****!!! I hate you Al Golden, and any and all who have brought my beloved canes to where they are now.

If we are so frustrated imagine the players who have to deal with this **** day in and day out. Who are pressed to show a united front.

****!!!

Saturday night, K-9

You're right, I had assumed we were playing on Friday night like last Thanksgiving weekend...

I share your sentiments though, This last decade feels like a bad dream for life-long Canes fans. Like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day", it's like a feed-back loop without end.

Right now, UM is more of a basketball school, than football. Just think about that...

I was at dinner with a nole, two gators and yellow-jacket. It was so bad they where actually trying to cheer me up. I am classic ugly Canes fan who has rubbed all those losers' faces in it for years so getting piety from them instead of well deserved payback was statement of sad state of affairs. At the moment, if the school doesn't hire a real frigging coach, I just want the football program **** down. Would rather not have the memory of our greatness ****ed on by the scum administration any more. Next banner should be to cancel football.

Advertisement
Saturday night, K-9

You're right, I had assumed we were playing on Friday night like last Thanksgiving weekend...

I share your sentiments though, This last decade feels like a bad dream for life-long Canes fans. Like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day", it's like a feed-back loop without end.

Right now, UM is more of a basketball school, than football. Just think about that...

We've been a basketball school since Coach L won the ACC in his second year.

Golden still has another year and even a mediocre season next season he will stay that extension really screwed us

Golden still has another year and even a mediocre season next season he will stay that extension really screwed us

What screwed us is a good Namur bad thing at the same time. Donna leaving she has been great for the school academicly and did a great job with the NCAA cloud, but she won't fire a coach in the way out. That's what's hurting us right now.

Advertisement
I doubt that Golden will be fired. Let's at least hope that the DC is fired and that someone with more boldness and smarts takes the job. At some point, Golden has to realize that he is on a short timeline to produce. The NCAA problem gives him a pass for an additional year or two. He should use the time wisely to get rid of his buddy who is barely qualified for high-school coaching. Golden should let the OC and a new DC call the plays. He is just there as a front man to sell the program to recruits, donors and fans, and to deal with extraordinary problems like players hitting roommates and grades issues. Golden must swallow his pride and let better assistant coaches call plays. Except for the FSU game, all of UM's loses exposed the inability to stop smash-mouth running. One would have expected that by the 11th game, the DC would have addressed the problem or be fired by the HC. It's time for Golden to pull the trigger. As for the offense, I have to accept that the lapses result from starting a freshman QB.

UM should fire Golden after season. Is his buyout that big that one year will make a difference. Why take a wait and see approach for next year if ur UM? Waiting a year will waste Kaayas talent. He could only have one more year after next if he decides to leave early. And he would have to learn a new offense if they wait until next year. And don't come at me with Miami could win the ACC next year. This team could lose a lot of talent to the draft and Golden will be playing a lot of freshman again next year. Of course that will be his excuse next year. This admin will say a lot if they decide to keep or fire Golden. Keeping him will tell me that they're cheap and stupid; look at that extension he got. UM doesn't seem to want to win at football and is happy that the BB team has a great coach and is winning. They just beat #8 UF. Golden hasn't won a game like that in 4 years. Cant continue to support UM with an administration that doesn't care. Good high school players wont come here and shouldn't if the admin is ok w average at best.

If the U doesn't up its game against Pitt, and loses, Golden and staff should be on the hot seat. This has been a very disappointing season, again, and with no more excuses of past NCAA rulings being viable. How can teams that we out-recruit, year after year, beat us time after time. Has to be the coaching.

Advertisement
A

- If there was one player who played a decent game is Denzel Perryman, who I thought was his usual self. He pursued sideline-to-sideline and really brought the heat. He is as good a striker as there is in the country. It's too bad his intensity wasn't matched by many other of his teammates.

-

Denzel Perryman is the one guy who should thank coach dorito. The dorito scheme is soooooo bad that the only way we can stop a team is for DP to make an extra effort play. Seriously, dorito's scheme is gonna get DP drafted a round earlier than he would have been with a competent coaching staff.

Saturday night, K-9

right now, DUKE is more of a football school than we are, THINK ABOUT THAT.

If the U doesn't up its game against Pitt, and loses, Golden and staff should be on the hot seat. This has been a very disappointing season, again, and with no more excuses of past NCAA rulings being viable. How can teams that we out-recruit, year after year, beat us time after time. Has to be the coaching.

F a hot seat....that seat should burn to hades.

I was at dinner with a nole, two gators and yellow-jacket. It was so bad they where actually trying to cheer me up. I am classic ugly Canes fan who has rubbed all those losers' faces in it for years so getting piety from them instead of well deserved payback was statement of sad state of affairs. At the moment, if the school doesn't hire a real frigging coach, I just want the football program **** down. Would rather not have the memory of our greatness ****ed on by the scum administration any more. Next banner should be to cancel football.

Once again a lot of people are wrong. The next banner should read: bring back NCAA football, because that's the best shot Miami @ being great again lol

Advertisement
Back