Justice goes in-depth on program changes, recruiting during shutdown

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Hurricanes OL coach Garin Justice took questions via a Zoom presser this afternoon, touching on many topics, including how he’s keeping his players motivated to stay in shape during the coronavirus shutdowns when the usual avenues to workouts are closed.

“Make it a positive almost, create ways for them to compete, try to do things where they kick in their competitive nature, competitive juices to do it instead of `Oh, I have to go do this,’” Justice said. “We’re trying to motivate guys in that way, but we can’t make things mandatory. Some teams are going to come out of this in a major advantage and some at a major disadvantage because they don’t take advantage of this time the right way. At the end of the day, you truly don’t know till we’re able to get together. I feel confident this group is working hard and hopefully we can stay that way.”

Even during a crisis, Justice says his offensive line is still looking for ways to connect and create bonds so that they can have an easier time gelling when it comes time to get back on the field. One of the ways they’ve been staying in touch has been group calls with the Zoom video app.

“Our biggest thing has been about connection, the biggest thing now we’re trying to do is try to develop those relationships further,” Justice said. “We’re doing a nice job creating face-to-face through apps to develop relationships. When you strip away, it forces you to really develop a relationship. It’s almost like when you’re courting someone 20 years ago you picked up a phone and call them. That’s what we have to do, pick up the phone and develop those relationships.

“We ask them questions to try and get those guys to open up, like `Who is your biggest hero?’ and get those guys to talk about it and why. `What’s the biggest loss or heartbreak you had in your life?’ `What’s your biggest moment in your life?’ Usually when you have a meeting you can hear some guys talking. When it’s `What is your biggest heartbreak?’ and a guy talks about losing his brother when he’s 11 or something like that, everyone is quiet, focusing in. When those guys hear those things from each other, you get a closer connection.”

Before the shutdowns, the Canes were able to only get 4 spring practices. While that’s not ideal, especially when installing a brand-new offense, Justice pointed out that it’s more than many FBS programs got.

“Of course, for selfish reasons you wish you had all 15 (practices), especially with a new offense, new staff as far as some pieces offensively,” Justice said. “I think the bright side of it is everyone is going through it. Everyone has those issues. Some people didn’t (practice) - Michigan State, they were a brand-new staff in February and didn’t even have one practice. So, they didn’t even know their kids at all. Everyone is at a disadvantage, but because of that we’re all on a level playing field.

“The positive we can carry over is we are a simple offense. It’s not like we’re going to overwhelm them with the playbook, so it gives our guys a chance to get up and running. Twenty years ago, this is what people did, they had two-a-days so they could get in shape. Now that’s changed and we get shaped throughout the year and summer. Maybe we have to go back to a model like that where we have to get them in shape and prepare them that way. I’m excited that when we do play it’ll be a level playing field because everyone is going through the same thing.”

During Miami’s first 4 practices, Justice said he was stripping down his teaching methods and focusing on communicating the basics to his group, even if that meant some early struggles.

“We were trying to take care of Day 1 pass protection and inside zone techniques,” Justice said. “We spent 95% of our meetings trying to clean up one thing. Coaching the offensive line is like you have this old, beat up car. First thing, we’re trying to fix the engine, and that’s inside zone and base pass protection. I feel we’re making strides there. Then it’ll be a tire here, brakes. When you try to coach it all at once, you overwhelm a kid and nothing gets accomplished. Let’s understand our Day 1, easy combinations on inside zone, let’s focus on the meat and potatoes of what this offense is going to be about and then we’ll venture out and start growing from there. “

Speaking on some of the positives he’s seen out of the OL, Justice feels that, overall, the group has the physical tools to be successful in a spread offense.

“They are a physical, long, athletic bunch - that plays to our strengths,” Justice said. “So we have guys that can run. We have guys who are going to have a high level of conditioning. That allows those guys to have a high level of success and they’ve embraced it. The majority of guys on our roster are Florida guys, guys that want to play up-tempo and do those things. That fits their personality as far as the way they want to play. You speed it up, allow guys to play and have fun, it looked like they were thriving in it so far. A lot of work to do, guys understand that, are committed to doing that. It’s been a really fun process so far, a process I’m excited to get back into.”

How does the new offense at UM affect the offensive line on the field?

“The biggest benefit to it is the pace of play tends to weaken the physicality of a defensive line,” Justice said. “When a defender is (not) thinking, processing, probably is not in the stance he normally would get in, not focused like he should. Plus, you’re affecting the conditioning - you can make a softness occur from the defensive line. I’ve had great offensive lines who were physical, some weren’t so much, some more athletic, and all were able to have success because [the pace] ultimately levels the playing field.”

Justice was asked about the tackle situation this spring at Miami, specifically Zion Nelson being used at starting right tackle, John Campbell at starting left tackle, and Jalen Rivers as a backup guard when he was originally recruited as a tackle.

“I was trying to see what guys could and couldn’t do,” Justice said. “A guy like Campbell, I really like his skill set, he has a lot of upside. We just have a young group. From all the misfortunes they went through last year, they were really, really young. That takes a lot of development. It usually takes a couple of years before linemen truly `get it.’ The biggest thing I’ve been impressed with is their willingness to accept me, learn new things. They want to be good. They’re working hard to be good.

“Guys like Zion Nelson and John Campbell and Rivers and all those guys you referenced have good futures. It’s my job to figure out where to put those guys. With four practices, I really don’t have answers yet, have some ideas, but me talking about those ideas would just be speculation. You usually start to find that out toward the end of spring practice. But we do have a handful of guys that could fill those spots.”

Justice also detailed his thoughts on his freshmen early enrollees Rivers and Chris Washington.

On Rivers: “The thing about Jalen first and foremost is people look at the fact he’s 6-5 and he’s big and he’s physical and all those things,” Justice said. “Those are great qualities you look for in a lineman. The thing that will make Jalen a really good player is he’s such a perfectionist. It bothers him when he doesn’t have success, bothers him if it’s not 100 percent right. He’s very conscientious, will be a really, really good player because he has a drive to be good. Athletically, physically - that’s why he was such a highly recruited kid out of high school.”

On Washington: “Chris, when you walk in the door he doesn’t have the size Jalen does, but has such a high ceiling with his long frame. He’s going to be a really good-looking tackle in a year or two once he develops in the weight room.”

Junior DJ Scaife was working mainly at guard this spring under Justice after spending most of his first two years at Miami as a tackle.

“I think the issue people have with DJ is he is such a very, very well-rounded offensive lineman physically as far as what he can do,” Justice said. “He’s a guy who is long and athletic enough to play at tackle, but also has a good enough base and is physical and strong enough to be an inside player. A guy like DJ is someone that you want to recruit because as an offensive line coach you’re trying to find your best five guys and fit them in the puzzle, put the best five guys on the field.

“We want to try and do everything we can to cross train these guys where they can play multiple positions. And DJ has experience at guard and tackle, he gives you some of that flexibility. DJ I see as a proven guy that has played here that you can plug into a spot you feel you need help at. How that ties into guys like Kai (Herbert) and Zion and Campbell and some of those tackles is the fact I feel we have some tackle bodies who are capable. Not saying we don’t at guard, but I’m trying to put the best five guys I think we have on the field.”

Speaking of Herbert, the former American Heritage star was a highly-recruited prospect that has yet to pan out under two previous OL coaches headed into his 4th year at UM, but Justice is hard at work trying to unlock his potential.

“I’m encouraged with Kai. Kai needs to keep going along with the process, keep developing confidence,” Justice said. “He hasn’t had a lot of the success he wants to, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a good player. He was taking some steps in the right direction. I’m really, really excited about what Kai is doing right now. He’s sending me videos of him doing stuff, and you can see a drive, a determination of what he’s wanting to do. He’s doing everything in his power to be a great player.”

On the recruiting side of things, offers are continuing to go out over the past few weeks even without the staff being able to get a look at prospects in-person, something Justice sees a benefit to.

“I guess probably the good thing is it makes you rely on film,” Justice said. “At the end of the day, you want to recruit guys that are good football players. If you do spring recruiting, you fall in love with him because you see him work out in weight room, do things that aren’t football related and a bias can sometimes kick in.

“Now we have to rely on the opinions of the high school coaches and what we see on the high school tape. That’s the biggest thing we’re trying to take on as far as our offers. It helps if you know the coach because you know if his word is good or not. But that’s been the biggest thing. Plus, what else do we have to do right now? We have to fill our day with recruiting. And from a positive standpoint that has let us take a step back, deep breath, and do a nice job of what we’re doing recruiting-wise.”

The offensive line talent in South Florida has historically gotten a bad rap, but the past few cycles have seen a resurgence in this positional area locally, something Justice recognizes and wishes to capitalize on.

“Coach (Manny) Diaz asked when I was interviewing for the job what I think about South Florida offensive linemen,” Justice said. “When you go throughout the country and recruit, there’s not many linemen anywhere in the country. God doesn’t make many big, long, physically athletic people. They’re just a rare breed as far as what you’re really looking for.

“South Florida doesn't have any less offensive linemen than anywhere else in the country. The thing that gets distorted is the fact that they have so many skill players that it overwhelms you and it feels that there’s less (OL). I don’t necessarily buy into the fact that South Florida offensive linemen aren't good players or that there’s not enough linemen here. We’re going to try to do everything from the inside out. We’re going to try and take care of our home-base first and do everything we can to sign the guys who are local who we think can be players at Miami and then start to expand.”

What physical traits does Justice look for in a lineman?

“Offensive linemen are such different body types - so you’ve got to find that blend,” Justice said. “You can’t recruit all 6-1 centers who are `dogs.’ But you can have one or two of them that make you a lot better. You have to find that blend as far as personalities. Length, physicality, guys that are powerful and explosive on film.

“Something that jumps out to me is guys that have passion for the game, because the guys that have passion for the game get better. If I can enjoy talking to them then I can probably make you a better offensive line player. There’s a lot of qualities to look for, but it’s really not going to vary from what any other offensive line coach is going to say. We just have to find the ones that fit us and what we’re trying to do.”

Advertisement
No mention on Clark and Hillary? Clark wasn't that bad last year I thought but Hillary should have never been a take. He is likely gone after this year.

Advertisement
“The engine for us is inside zone and base pass protection, and I felt like we were making some strides that way,” he said. “I think sometimes when you try and coach it all, you overwhelm the kid and nothing gets accomplished. So, we’ve been really trying to focus on our base. Let’s just get our base reached block. Let’s get a base cut-off block. Let’s take a good pass set. Let’s understand our Day 1 easy combinations on inside zone. Let’s focus on the meat and potatoes of what this offense is going to be about, and then we’ll venture out and start growing from there.

“I remember a couple (of spring) practices, the defense would do something — a (tackle for loss) or sack — and (the offensive line) would look back at me like, ‘Coach, you haven’t explained this.’ I’d be like, ‘Well, don’t worry about this. That’s my fault. I haven’t taught you that. That’s why it’s called practice. Let’s worry about the main thing right now, which is getting better at base fundamentals, how we practice, those type things.’”

Good hire

Advertisement
Great to read. Glad when we're able to get an actual positive football thread in during these crazy *** times. Good for the soul.

People were question this hire at first. Seams like we got dam lucky so far. I think this guy is a hard worker and wont let us down.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back