Just ran into a friend who is an NFL scout

I have not seen this guy in 2 years. He was a scout for the Falcons but left for another team 2 years ago. He is visiting family in Atl and was at a xmas party and I got a chance to pick his brain. This was his opinion on a few of the Jr's looking to go to the draft. Again its his opinion.. does not mean much..

AQM- He said to me "If I go pull tape and only had one season to look at, and this guys name is not Clowney I don't even hit play". (thought that was funny) He said at best this guy would be someone's "gamble" so you do that in the 6th and 7th Round. And truthfully you could gamble with him as an undrafted player. You don't need to pick him. He said if he leaves he is getting bad advise.

Coley: He said Coley is the type of player you like on paper because of the speed and size. But knowing what he knows he is afraid Coley would have a tough time making it through camp. He said camp is tough, you have veteran WR's who are going all out, and DB's who are better than anything he has seen. Felt right now Coley would get lost in that completion.. But he did say he is very tempting because of his speed. He thought someone could really work with him and make him into a good player. But WR is tough. Overall just thought one more year under a good coach could do this guy wonders.

Elder: He Loves Elder but again did not think he would be someone that should go yet. Not sure what he meant by this. He said "Elder is a guy with great speed that does not look fast when he plays".. He said he is another one that should not be thinking of leaving.

Burns: He thought burns looked like a pro right now. Size and body type are perfect. Speed is great. He said that once a DB coach teaches him NFL technique he will be very good. Needs to learn how to fight off the line with a bigger WR but everything else is there. 2nd round pick...Maybe 3rd because of the WR depth in the draft.

BTW Lastly I asked what he thought about Howard. I will spare you some of it because he is a Cane and I'm not going to be rude. BUT did not have good things to say. Small, slow and said is one of the worst on getting off blocks. Said because he is a cane might be a 6th rounder at best.

Anyway take it for what its worth... its just one guys assessment.

Advertisement
Is this guy a Canes fan? He must actively watch a whole lot of Hurricanes football if he can zero in on Tracy's inability to get off blocks...unless I'm missing something and it's a huge deficiency?

Sorry should have said that...he specifically scouts on the East coast had a pretty good handle on lost of players up the East coast. He admitted he did not know much about AQM (which is why I did not give much on his skills), but had a good background on the DB's and Safeties. He did say now is the time they are really looking at players and lost of players have been evaluated in small bits because he is planning his visits to Sr. bowl. He told me that if you asked him a few months ago he might not have much to say at all..

I still scratch my head at Brandon Washington, Marcus Forston and Streeter leaving a few years back... Such poor decisions.

Advertisement
I remember when I was questioning that there were fans saying "those guys need to go get paid"... so now that they got their 5,000 signing bonus I wonder if they are still thinking it was worth it. I hope that someone talks to these other guys about these epic fails...

I know that nfl scouts are generally worse than the ppl on this board when it comes to evaluating talent

Pretty much what scouts and non scouts agree on.

Only one that wouldn't be a complete idiot leaving is Burns.

AQM and Coley can do themselves a HUGE favor playing another year and being productive. The measurables are there.

Elder is just a playmaker and it'll only help him continuing to add to his highlight tape.

Looks like Grace is staying and he's been a stud since day 1 ala Perryman.

Spot on. I think the majority of people here have said most of if not everything that was written. I think Deon Bush and Artie Burns are the only draftable players this year. Rashawn Scott has a chance in the later rounds.

Advertisement
If this team wins 10+ in the regular season next year, AQM, Coley, and Corn will go first round. Being on a good team does wonders if you're going to the league that year. With Kaaya and Richt, this can easily happen.

Scott would've been a top 3 round pick of BK or Coley wasn't so fixated on the TE. Many other places he would've put up huge numbers.

Burns was just as bad at gettin' off blocks as Howard was. But that's because we had a dum@$$ DC & DB coach who think there's a 1SFA approach to shedding blocks.

Advertisement
Scott would've been a top 3 round pick of BK or Coley wasn't so fixated on the TE. Many other places he would've put up huge numbers.

That makes perfect sense. Don't throw to the open guy, throw to the guy that internet guy thinks is the best. So internet guy, who's your pick for next year? Who does the new OC have to throw to in order to win your approval?

Advertisement
I'm pretty much in agreement with the evaluations...Think Burns is the only one who would get drafted, with Elder 5+ round and Coley a maybe 6/7th round...Coley just hasn't had that three/four game streak where he's really consistent and dominating the D Backfield..

Wish Tracy the best man, dude came the U when he was all Gaytor wheree I belive in that defensive scheme he could have been a major asset.
Also think he he was more physical he could be a safety in more of the honeybadger role because he has excellent instincts but he isnt so. haha

Advertisement
Back