Just my opinion (JMO) on 2021 college baseball

straight talk

Freshman
Will be intersting to see how the NCAA handles this? Yes, they have given players an extra year, but given that scholarship limits were already Draconian, what happens now? Are Unniversities put in the position of funding either a 5th year senior or true Freshman within the 11.5? to scholarships available? Or will the NCAA open up a one year increase in total scholarships to address this issue?

With the 5 Round MLB draft this takes on a whole different picture. There is an opportunity to build up College Baseball by allowing a one time increase in 2021 scholarship limits, then reevaluate for 2021. IMO, many College Baseball could become a small net positive monetary program if the NCAA stopped tying its scholarship limits to Womens Golf, etc - aka. Title 9.

MLB is dying slowly. Am sure they would love colleges to reduce their minor league costs. But do they pony up and donate to College Baseball. Can they due to Title 9? In the end game if College Baseball brings in more money that can only help womens sports, but try to explain that to many women that can't understand why the WNBA players don't get the same salary as Lebron?

Intersting times we live in. Do these times bring out a focused and intelligent view of the world or a Libbie fairy tale, money grows on trees and this is how we think the easy picking money should be distributed?

Advertisement
Will be intersting to see how the NCAA handles this? Yes, they have given players an extra year, but given that scholarship limits were already Draconian, what happens now? Are Unniversities put in the position of funding either a 5th year senior or true Freshman within the 11.5? to scholarships available? Or will the NCAA open up a one year increase in total scholarships to address this issue?

With the 5 Round MLB draft this takes on a whole different picture. There is an opportunity to build up College Baseball by allowing a one time increase in 2021 scholarship limits, then reevaluate for 2021. IMO, many College Baseball could become a small net positive monetary program if the NCAA stopped tying its scholarship limits to Womens Golf, etc - aka. Title 9.

MLB is dying slowly. Am sure they would love colleges to reduce their minor league costs. But do they pony up and donate to College Baseball. Can they due to Title 9? In the end game if College Baseball brings in more money that can only help womens sports, but try to explain that to many women that can't understand why the WNBA players don't get the same salary as Lebron?

Intersting times we live in. Do these times bring out a focused and intelligent view of the world or a Libbie fairy tale, money grows on trees and this is how we think the easy picking money should be distributed?
The NCAA Committee approved changes last week. No increase in scholarships due to expected budget constraints in education, etc. But, they did ease three rules. No roster limit, the number of players on scholarship can be 32 vs 27 before and no more 25% minimum scholarship per player.

Good luck on getting Title 9 changes, but college baseball has been on an upswing in recent years and college players are a much bigger part of the draft than they used to be. For your vision to occur, MLB would have to start agreeing that they're Ok w good college programs developing the top HS talent, because baseball is unlikely to be a big revenue source for universities any time soon.

This will be the best year of college baseball in decades. It’s absolutely loaded with talent and deeper than ever.

I cant decide if I’m happy we got to keep guys like Toral and the basically all of our class, or if I’m mad we had our best team (especially rotation) since 2016 get taken away from us. We had a legitimate title shot this year.

I'm getting sick to my stomach hearing people actually think "this team had a title shot". This program is no where close to title aspirations and I'm not sure we ever will be with Gino. We all can talk about the embarrassing sweep to UF, which was nauseating, but when you talk about winning in Omaha it's all about sound fundamental & situational baseball. Which we haven't played in soon to be 2 decades. Until that changes we will not be able to make any noise in Omaha.

I'm getting sick to my stomach hearing people actually think "this team had a title shot". This program is no where close to title aspirations and I'm not sure we ever will be with Gino. We all can talk about the embarrassing sweep to UF, which was nauseating, but when you talk about winning in Omaha it's all about sound fundamental & situational baseball. Which we haven't played in soon to be 2 decades. Until that changes we will not be able to make any noise in Omaha.

Starting pitching wins in Omaha. We had probably the second best 1-2-3 in America behind Vandy. Easily the best rotation we’ve had in years. Nobody said we were definitely gonna win, but we had a real shot. IMO we had a much better shot this year than any time since 2008.

Advertisement
This will be the best year of college baseball in decades. It’s absolutely loaded with talent and deeper than ever.

I cant decide if I’m happy we got to keep guys like Toral and the basically all of our class, or if I’m mad we had our best team (especially rotation) since 2016 get taken away from us. We had a legitimate title shot this year.

Your mad, trust me.

To win in baseball generally, but specifically in Omaha, you must be good at the following. Pretty much without fail, in order of importance:

1. Starting Pitching
2. Starting Pitching
3. Consistent error free defense and on the bases
4. Closing out of the bullpen
5. On base pct and hitting for average
6. Middle relief/setup out of the bullpen
7. Power

Just wondering how anyone thought last year's team was going to make it past no. 3???

To win in baseball generally, but specifically in Omaha, you must be good at the following. Pretty much without fail, in order of importance:

1. Starting Pitching
2. Starting Pitching
3. Consistent error free defense and on the bases
4. Closing out of the bullpen
5. On base pct and hitting for average
6. Middle relief/setup out of the bullpen
7. Power

Just wondering how anyone thought last year's team was going to make it past no. 3???
Well we had 1 and 2 more than covered, so of course we had a shot, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't watch much CWS baseball. I go to Omaha every June and I have watched teams like Fresno St, Coastal Carolina and a UCLA team that hit .200 as a team win it. Would we have made it or won any games, who knows. But we had 2 early MLB draft picks as starting pitchers and maybe the best Friday night arm in the nation so we had a chance. That is not deniable.
Now we rebuild the rotation and hope to shore up the defense. I got a feeling we will need to score some runs next year as the rotation will be green. Hopefully the USC transfer and JC guys slide right in help and guys like Gates, AMac, Palmquist, Garland can build off of last season.
That said you do not just replace a rotation of BVB, CMac and Slade, so I doubt we are as good as last year unless the bats explode.

Well we had 1 and 2 more than covered, so of course we had a shot, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't watch much CWS baseball. I go to Omaha every June and I have watched teams like Fresno St, Coastal Carolina and a UCLA team that hit .200 as a team win it. Would we have made it or won any games, who knows. But we had 2 early MLB draft picks as starting pitchers and maybe the best Friday night arm in the nation so we had a chance. That is not deniable.
Now we rebuild the rotation and hope to shore up the defense. I got a feeling we will need to score some runs next year as the rotation will be green. Hopefully the USC transfer and JC guys slide right in help and guys like Gates, AMac, Palmquist, Garland can build off of last season.
That said you do not just replace a rotation of BVB, CMac and Slade, so I doubt we are as good as last year unless the bats explode.

without a doubt on that point.

and there's a reason why 4 out of the first 5 factors have nothing to do with having a murderers row in the batting order. i remember sitting in omaha in years like 1998 and watching a lineup with guys like burrell, huff, and michaels losing in 3 because we booted the ball around the infield and our starting pitching couldn't find the strike zone

Advertisement
without a doubt on that point.

and there's a reason why 4 out of the first 5 factors have nothing to do with having a murderers row in the batting order. i remember sitting in omaha in years like 1998 and watching a lineup with guys like burrell, huff, and michaels losing in 3 because we booted the ball around the infield and our starting pitching couldn't find the strike zone
Well BBCor bats and the new stadium changed everything in Omaha. Pitchers game now. Like I said we may or may not have made it but we were LOADED in the #1 area it takes to make it. Not sure how any of our fans thought we could not have with 50 more games left in the season and bats like Gil, Lala, Gates, Thomas and Paige all hitting like **** and still 12-4.
We were fielding .968...... not great by any means but a decent amount better than last season. I'm just mad I didn't get to go to Omaha as we go every June and I expected to see my Canes there this year.
Seems unlikely next year with all the arm talent we lost but I will be optimistic that maybe we swing it well next season.

Last edited:
Our bullpen stunk and the bullpen decision making was even worse. Dimare really needed these games to figure his own **** out as a manager

Our bullpen stunk and the bullpen decision making was even worse. Dimare really needed these games to figure his own **** out as a manager
Is there any aspect of UM sports that you're actually a fan of?

Advertisement
Is there any aspect of UM sports that you're actually a fan of?
Sorry I don’t sugar coat **** about our incompetent athletic department. Our fan base cracks me up, can’t be a fan unless you pump sunshine

Sorry I don’t sugar coat **** about our incompetent athletic department. Our fan base cracks me up, can’t be a fan unless you pump sunshine
I just haven't noticed you say anything positive about anything. Maybe you have, but it doesn't seem like it.

I just haven't noticed you say anything positive about anything. Maybe you have, but it doesn't seem like it.
What’s positive to say? Please enlighten me. Recruiting? That is good but we all know that isn’t the issue with hurricanes baseball for last 20 years. We need coaching. Dimare thus far has failed miserably in that regard

Advertisement
What’s positive to say? Please enlighten me. Recruiting? That is good but we all know that isn’t the issue with hurricanes baseball for last 20 years. We need coaching. Dimare thus far has failed miserably in that regard
It is possible to mention the positives.

It is possible to mention the positives.
The negatives outweigh the positives right now. Canes baseball is my favorite time of the year, Every year. But I’m not going to sit here and act like I am happy about what I have seen from Dimare as a skipper and the team under his reign.

The negatives outweigh the positives right now. Canes baseball is my favorite time of the year, Every year. But I’m not going to sit here and act like I am happy about what I have seen from Dimare as a skipper and the team under his reign.
It's not just baseball.

It's not just baseball.
Okay great let's talk about the other major sports then.....Manny Diaz :rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg: king of the offseason but hasn't proved he can coach a lick on game day. Future looking very shaky in that program after last season..... Jim Larranaga, love what the guy has done for the program but you can clearly see him and his staff bring nothing to the table anymore in regards to X's and O's and preparation. Thank god he is recruiting well so the next guy can fill in with some talent (please don't be caputo). Football program coming off the worst season in 40+ years. Basketball coming off b2b seasons without a post season appearance. Baseball had a chance to take the next step but utterly blew it in front of a sold out home crowd against UF. You have every right to view the program as rainbows and unicorns, I choose not to do that. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, I'm just much more fed up than you given the current state of the athletic program from the top down.

Advertisement
Back