Just got off the phone with Jamal Carter

I'm not knocking the kid in any way. I'm just stating there isn't any evidence of his ability to play Safety. I only base my comments on what I see on clips or what I see in person. His defensive clips show an athlete standing around, roaming, and basically playing pickup-style football. He's a good athlete with decent size. He's got some long speed, but doesn't have elite acceleration. I would be curious to see his numbers. Specifically, his shuttle.

Because of our situation at the position, his size and athleticism alone make him a virtual must-get.

Advertisement
I think the kid shows excellent acceleration especially for his size at **** near 200 lbs

Only 2 safeties? That means we start 2013 with Rodgers, Highsmith, Jenkins, Bush, and 2 true FR.

Makes me think that the coaches have decided that Bush and Jenkins will stay at safety, despite talk that Jenkins might play WR or that Bush is wasted at safety. I highly doubt our safety depth chart will go Rodgers, HIghsmith, 2 true FR backing them up, and then walkons. I'd look real hard for a 3rd safety though.

I though the word was that Jenkins is our safety and Bush is working in at both S and CB? With incoming burns and carter that makes 6 safeties on the roster for 2013 which is plenty

That should be plenty, plus Ray Lewis the 3rd will probably be thrown at Safety.

Only 2 safeties? That means we start 2013 with Rodgers, Highsmith, Jenkins, Bush, and 2 true FR.

Makes me think that the coaches have decided that Bush and Jenkins will stay at safety, despite talk that Jenkins might play WR or that Bush is wasted at safety. I highly doubt our safety depth chart will go Rodgers, HIghsmith, 2 true FR backing them up, and then walkons. I'd look real hard for a 3rd safety though.

I though the word was that Jenkins is our safety and Bush is working in at both S and CB? With incoming burns and carter that makes 6 safeties on the roster for 2013 which is plenty

That should be plenty, plus Ray Lewis the 3rd will probably be thrown at Safety.

LULZ

Advertisement
I think the kid shows excellent acceleration especially for his size at **** near 200 lbs

I don't see the suddenness in that video. Someone compared him to Antrel Rolle and I think that's fairly accurate. They take a moment to get going, which is understandable at that size.

If there are examples in that video that I missed, please feel free to point out at what mark in the video. This is a discussion for a reason. I'm also basing my comments on just that video.

LULZ

I don't think he's playing RB here.

I think LU's comment was directed at the video and the fact that it does not show Carter playing safety, not necessarily that Carter won't be a good safety for us.

Has anyone seen him play live? How does he look down after down?

If anyone can project what kind of Safety he'll be from this video, please also send a picture of your wizard hat.

Yep. Really wish he participated in some of these 7-on-7 or camp settings.

One thing that's for sure is that he's a well-built, coordinated athlete with some speed.

Agreed 100%. Practically no highlights at S in his tape, mostly returns, and no participation in camps has got me kind of concerned. However, he does look like a solid athlete. If only we could be sure that his athleticism would translate to great Safety play... Still, with the glaring need at S, I would still love to have him and Artie on board, and we'll see. We're better off with 2 great athletes with question marks as pure safeties rather than 2 ****poor players...

I doubt the coaching staff would be going as hard after him if they didn't believe his skill set would translate to good safety play

LULZ

I don't think he's playing RB here.

I don't think it matters what position they put him at, he won't be a meaningful part of any rotation. He can play safety or running back for the scout team, won't make much difference.

Advertisement
so we take RL3 and can't take fackin Macaroni Alexander just to get his brother

DAMMIT MANE

I don't see the suddenness in that video. Someone compared him to Antrel Rolle and I think that's fairly accurate. They take a moment to get going, which is understandable at that size.

If there are examples in that video that I missed, please feel free to point out at what mark in the video. This is a discussion for a reason. I'm also basing my comments on just that video.

right around 1:05 when he catches a pass and spins off a dude, he shows a nice burst to get upfield. also the first kick return gets upfield very quickly to miss the first line of defenders.

he's no Kermit wrt acceleration but for his size I'd say he has very good to excellent burst

I'm not knocking the kid in any way. I'm just stating there isn't any evidence of his ability to play Safety. I only base my comments on what I see on clips or what I see in person. His defensive clips show an athlete standing around, roaming, and basically playing pickup-style football. He's a good athlete with decent size. He's got some long speed, but doesn't have elite acceleration. I would be curious to see his numbers. Specifically, his shuttle.

Because of our situation at the position, his size and athleticism alone make him a virtual must-get.

I was pretty much agreeing with you. I could only comment on some traits I thought would translate well, like his football speed and agility. I really don't see the burst of acceleration either from those clips, but I think it's because of the nature of his highlights and not because I think he doesn't have a good burst.

And the last sentence of yours IMO is key. Jamal needs to be in this class. Much like how I thought we needed to get Bush and Keith Brown.

Advertisement

Thanks for the breakdown.

DAMMIT MANE

In a rivals interview he said he was taking visits Kentucky, Arkansas, Clemson and Notre Dame and he also liked Tennessee and Miami. This was after his brother didn't get offer at our most recent camps.

He's got flexible hips and good acceleration. Good for man-to-man coverage.

Because of his acceleration, he should be able to chase ball carriers from sideline to sideline. He also should do well in zone schemes and cover his deep half just fine. He's got closing quickness. On one play he closed on the receiver and intercepted a pass.

Excellent size. I assume since he plays WR too, he may have decent hands and ball skills.

Question marks: pass drop, tackling, back pedal, plant and drive, awareness and instincts, key and diagnose skills.

Remember: This video is OLD. If AG wants this guy, he has the work ethic to be successful. I'm sure the staff has communicated to Carter's coaches what he needs to improve, and if he works at it, I look for him to have a monster season. And if AG made a committable offer WITHOUT him attending a camp, well, I have to give AG the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Advertisement
I've said this over and over but the kid looks like a bonafide stud to me. he has NFL first round type physical talent

DAMMIT MANE

can't tell if trollin or not? Ray Lewis 3 should have a schollie for academics, sports whatever the **** he wants at Miami based on you know his dad being the greatest MLB ever. And top 3 greatest Miami hurricane player ever. Ray Lewis being around and associated with our program for another 4 or 5 years is worth a schollie for his son don't you think? The guy has done and will continue to do alot for UM and the least Miami can do is give his son who actually is a good football player a 4 year schollie to earn a degree...

Advertisement
Back